djmatthews

Can Aircraft Doors Be In Open In The Air.

Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:03 pm

Having recently had this very same conversation with a friend, I was unable to accurately answer. When in the air, is it possible that aircraft doors can be opened?

Cheers

tango

RE: Can Aircraft Doors Be In Open In The Air.

Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:03 pm

No. The pressurisation prevents this.

United Airline

Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:08 pm

The pressure INSIDE the aircraft is larger than outside right? So maybe they can be opened.

tango

Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:15 pm

There is no way they can be opened.

I used to be crew and also my relatives work in the f/deck, have asked them as well and we all have had the same thing told to us!

They cannot be opened. Blown open and off yes, if the pressurisation drops, but not opened manually.

Jalalabad

Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:53 pm

in a non-pressurized cabin, it is physically possible to open a door (i.e. skydiving planes). in a pressurized cabin, it would be pretty hard. a 737 or 757 style door, for example, has to be pulled inward before you can swing it out and open. this would require overcoming lots of pounds of pressure (thousands?) pushing against it. different doors open differently, but i myself don't know of any that don't incorperate some varient of a pressure lock.

FlySSC

Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:18 pm

At the average cruising altitude (35000ft) there is NO WAY to open a door.

At a low altitude, if the cabin is depressurized. It is possible to open a door.
Emergency procedures to evacuate smoke in the cabin, for example, requires on some (old) aircraft to open one door or one overwing exit, after the plane has reached a "security altitude" (that was the procedure on the sud-Aviation Caravelle).

The "Caravelle" was used several times in the past to make photos of other airliners in flight, after lowering the rear stairs...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter Tancred

On the upper deck of the B743 or B744 it is IMPOSSIBLE to open the doors, at any altitude as there is an automatic lock security that is activated when the wheels of the main gear leave the ground. The doors are unlocked automatically the same way when one wheel of the main gear touches the ground on landing.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

L-188

Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:18 pm

Depends on the airplane.

For commercial jets....no.

But I understand that connies back in the 1970's where very popular in Africa with the civil wars because the doors open inward...made it really easy to mount a .50 cal in the door.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

EMBQA

Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:52 pm

Even during ground engine runs if the aircraft is pressurized, you can't open the doors. Most cases the 'PSi DIF' must be below 1.0 for you to open the door, and even then you can hear the air rush out.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

highflyer

Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:55 pm

Do a search, but there is an amazing photograph out there of a Dc-8F landing with its cargo door wide open. Presumably it happened at a relatively low altitude.

SafetyDude

Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:00 pm

Do a search, but there is an amazing photograph out there of a Dc-8F landing with its cargo door wide open. Presumably it happened at a relatively low altitude.
I believe that it was open during its final approach.

Aircraft doors are capable of being opened when the plane is pressurized, but the amount of force required to do so does not exist, and if it did, it would weigh so much that the plane would never be able to get off the ground.

The pressure INSIDE the aircraft is larger than outside right?
Correct, is pressure exerted on the doors from the inside, hence the reason why the doors are bigger on the inside rather than the outside.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

csavel

Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:01 pm

FLYSSC,
and let's not forget DB Cooper of the famous NWA hijacking fame. Same results on a 727. Different reason, of course.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

L-188

Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:03 pm

I have also seen a photo of a CV-880 in that exact same predictament as the DC-8F.

Main cargo doors typically aren't plug doors like pax doors. They have latches to keep them closed. The only exception to this I can think of is the Main Deck door on the Electras with the Electric Lockheed doors. That one rotated inside the aircraft.

air2gxs

Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:53 pm

DB Cooper was able to open the inner (pressure) door because the aircraft was unpressurized. The airstair will (not anymore) open regardless of the pressurization status of the aircraft.

The cargo door on a DC8 is not a plug door. It can be opened with a pressurized aircraft. It will get real exciting real fast at anything above 14000 feet.

Doors on most commercial airliners are plug doors. That means the door must enter the aircraft before it can be closed. Their are a variety of ways to acheiev this. The B767, for example, has the door physically mounted inside the airframe. Other aircraft, B727 or B747, have gates at the upper and lower ends of the door. These extend after the door enters the airframe and close the gap to seal the door.

I suspect that A300 does not have a plug door. 1) I can't find it in the discription and operation. 2)We have a "residual pressure" system installed in the door to warn of a pressurized cabin. We are not supposed to open the door with the light on. 3) I've heard of several crew members getting hurt when the door is opened and the aircraft still slightly pressurized.

Lt-AWACS

Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:09 am

We have procedures for opening our E-3 (707-320) overwing hatches in flight, to vent smoke, though the flight engineer changes the pressure before this procedure is done, and the pilots sliding window is also opened.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Leave the Gun take the Cannoli
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

Buyantukhaa

Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:56 am

Well, some of you might remember the guy who jumped out of an A330 over the Philippines in 2000:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/763341.stm

The man hijacked the plane (nearly 300 pax), got passenger's valuables, ordered the captain to open the door (which, after descending to 6000ft, was done) and jumped out. His home-made parachute failed to deploy, however. Quote:

"A huge gust of wind swept into the plane when the door was opened, passengers said.

A flight attendant had to help the hijacker leave the plane against the force of the air by pushing him out of the door. He left his gun and one shoe aboard the plane as he left, but took his grenade with him.

The door of the plane was still open as it landed, according to eyewitnesses."

And there must be more:

"The Manila hijacking was not the first of its kind - in 1971, an American hijacker bailed out of a passenger plane over the northwestern US with a bag containing $200,000 in ransom money."
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

SafetyDude

Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:00 am

And there must be more:

"The Manila hijacking was not the first of its kind - in 1971, an American hijacker bailed out of a passenger plane over the northwestern US with a bag containing $200,000 in ransom money."

I believe that incident involved the rear stairs of a 727.

Smile
-Will

BR715-A1-30

Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:17 am

I remember the one AA300 incident where the cabin was still pressurized when the door was opened and it sucked the flight attendant out right onto the ramp. Dunno if it killed him/her. This was in like 2000.
Puhdiddle

lnglive1011yyz

Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:11 am

BR715 -- I do recall this incident..

I believe the Attendant was female, and she may have been having a panick attack or somethign similar..

A Search didn't come up with anything, on the net, but I'll continue looking.

In a further comment/question, how does the door / emergency system work on doors?

IF the plane is making an emergency landing, would the pressurization system automatically adjust as it descends?

I'm thinking of evacuations.. How would they be performed if the plane is pressurized? (COnsidering the crew would have more important things to do than to make the cabin occupants feel more comfortable haha)

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

ChiGB1973

Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:41 am

SATL382G

Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:37 am

There was an incident a few years with a C17 crew door that would not
open on the ground after arrival. A passenger went to assist the crew member on the door. Aircraft was still pressurized, however they managed to manhandle the door open. The passenger was fatally ejected from the aircraft.

I also had a door pop open on my C152 many years while doing pattern work.
It made for an effective extra control surface until I got it closed.

SATL382G
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

L-188

Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:26 pm

OH here is the photo of your DC-8

View Large View Medium

Photo © JetPix

air2gxs

Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:56 pm

Lnglive1011yyz,

Most aircraft are operated with the pressurization system in auto unless there is a failure, in which manual is used. Auto's function is to get the aircraft cabin pressure to ambiant at or just before landing. So, during an emergency evacuation the plane should be depressurized. In the event of a cabin pressurization failure where the manual is used, I imagine it is a checklist item to dump the cabin pressure at or just before landing. The 1 time I was flying on a jumbo that have a full auto failure we just dump the pressure below 10,000 ft, but that was a cargo flight, not sure what happens onpax.

This is not a passenger comfort item during an emergency, it is a safety issue; you can't get out of the airplane with the cabin pressurized.

320tech

Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:11 pm

It's not impossible to open cabin doors in flight, just very difficult (perhaps depending on the type of airplane). If you're up at max cabin dif altitude (say, 35,000 feet), the cabin dif pressure will be around 8 psi. The A320 door opens upwards and inwards first, and if you were tremendously strong, you might be able to move it a bit. But open it all the way, I doubt it.

At lower altitudes, you have lower cabin dif pressure, so things get easier. I wouldn't want to guess, but at some point, maybe, if you're strong, you should be able to get the door open.

(We have also had employees badly injured when they opened doors on partially pressurised aircraft.)

Having opened the door, you're going to have to fight the wind, because all the doors on the A320 open forward. So you might have a tough time squeezing out, if that's what you're thinking of doing.

Commercial aircraft dump cabin pressure when they land, if not before. Therefore, evacuation is not a concern.

Very briefly, the evacuation system on doors (A320) works as follows (you'll be sorry you asked):

The door is closed. The door has a flat bar called a girt bar, which sits at the bottom of the door, and is attached to the slide firing mechanism. When the door is armed, the girt bar is pushed into two fittings mounted on the floor. Thus, the slide firing mechanism is now connected to the aircraft (as opposed to the door).

With the door armed, the inner handle is pulled up (opened). The door begins to lift out of the door frame. The girt bar is held in place at the floor. The girt bar pulls on a cable, which is connected to the door slide inflation bottle. The bottle fires, and *POOF* the slide appears through a cloud of talcum powder.

Simultaneously, as the door is rising in the frame, a bar on the door strikes a firing lever on the door assist bottle, which is mounted on the support arm. The firing lever releases a small nitrogen charge inside the bottle, which pushes the door open (whether someone is hanging on to it or not).

The slide now inflates. It takes maybe five seconds or so (I've seen it a few times, but never timed it).

Yes, that was the brief version. If you want more info, e-mail me.
The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the manufacturer and impossible for the AME.

SafetyDude

Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:25 pm

I remember the one AA300 incident where the cabin was still pressurized when the door was opened and it sucked the flight attendant out right onto the ramp. Dunno if it killed him/her. This was in like 2000.
I remember this incident. I believe that the crew did not know that the plane was still pressurized, or a gate agent opened the door by accident. One of the other problems, I believe, is that the FA opened the door, not the gate agent. Upon opening it, she collapsed to her death on the plane/jetway.

A friend of mine has a fried who worked as a FA for many years until one day she opened up a door that was pressurized and suffered major memory and brain damage.

Doors can be scary things, even with all of the warnings on them.

Smile
-Will

Buyantukhaa

Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:41 am

Wasn't cabin pressurisation also an issue at the Saudia L-1011 accident? The astonishing fact that none of the doors were opened after landing (yes I know, they decided to taxi back to the apron, very clever) might be because of the cabin being under pressure?

I tried to find the picture of the disaster (seen it before) but didn't manage.

Edit: found some pics.

http://www.airdisaster.com/special/saudi163.jpg

http://www.fire.org.uk/common/aviation/graphics/saudia.jpg

[Edited 2004-08-16 19:58:10]
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

JMV

Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:20 am

Here is a link to a CNN article regarding the flight attendant that was killed when he opened the cabin door following an emergency landing but before the plane could be fully depressurized. It makes a good summary of the NTSB link above.

http://www.cnn.com/2000/US/11/20/emergency.landing.02/
Google begins where my brain ends! ©

flyboy80

Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:06 pm

Most aircraft have some sort of mechanism that physically disables door operation in unsafe conditions (IN flight) for instance... Even on regional airliners, the door will slightly shift before falling out of the cabin to form an airstair...In the CRJ's case, the handle is connected to a Flap that must open inward in order for the handle to operate on the inside, so if the cabin is pressureized, the handle on the inside can't be pulled to "open"

ChiGB1973

Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:21 pm

I might have missed it in this thread, but a 747 door can be opened to allow smoke out of the cabin. This is, of course, at less than 15,000 feet, probably a bit lower.

I heard this before and was a little skeptical, but confirmed it with an 18 year FA with United.

It is a pretty cool little tid-bit of info though. A scary situation, not sure which door or what requirements are to do so? Anyone know?

M

jspitfire

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:40 pm

I have heard a story about an aircraft that crashed because the only pilot was sucked out of the aircraft. Apparently a warning light came on for the door, and the pilot decided to go back and check it out. It wasn't latched properly, and the pilot was sucked out. The plane flew on autopilot until it ran out of fuel, then crashed.

Granted we are talking about opening a properly latched door in flight here, but if the door isn't properly latched, then I think it is possible for it to open fairly easily.

Jason

HAWK21M

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:53 pm

Quoting Jspitfire (Reply 28):
but if the door isn't properly latched, then I think it is possible for it to open fairly easily.

Not if its a Plug type.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

flyboy80

Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:32 pm

Quoting SATL382G (Reply 19):
I also had a door pop open on my C152 many years while doing pattern work.
It made for an effective extra control surface until I got it closed.

SATL382G

I feel ya there...theres a particular plane I fly on that does this quite often (C152 as well)

I will also say its not just the big aircraft that have dangerous doors! Doors on most commerical aircraft, even if its a small regional airliner, are still large and dangerous if a person is in their way! The Dash eight comes to mind, while small for a door on a commercial aircraft...the Dash door can be extremely dangerous! For instance, on the Q200, if you close the door from the outside with the GPU running to go get coffee or something, and fully stow the external door control handle-the balloon seal will inflate and pressurize the cabin. Say the flight crew returns to the aircraft and pulls that door control handle down...BAM! That thing will jump out like a leopard on a sick gazelle! From what I hear, this mechanism has hurt several people. I think most airlines have appropriate policies in place to prevent these type of accidents from occuring!

bhill

Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:44 pm

Commercial...As I understand..nope..plug doors...but in the cargo area of a military flight...HALO drops are made from the doors or off the ramp of the aircraft..when these ops are done, the flight crew attach themselves to aux atmosphere as they toss the troopers off the airplane... ;-}.
Carpe Pices

ReidYYZ

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:44 pm

Quoting 320tech (Reply 22):
It's not impossible to open cabin doors in flight, just very difficult

I agree and, bear with me, might be possible in cruise as well. A/C types and the associated doors referred to, I know, are listed as examples, any others, I would be guessing. Some of this is repeating, but trying to argue something and get a "don't you mean....." response or two could lead to a severe case of keybord tag.
To clarify and state it simply, plug type doors are bigger than the cut-out in the fuselage. They are turned and folded at the top and bottom (airgates) to fit in the hole ( b757 cabin, dc-8 cabin, B727 cabin) or they just stay in the cabin full time (L1011 cabin, dc-8 lower cargo, A310 and A330 bulk cargo-not C1 or C2) Semi plug doors are slightly smaller (1/8"-1/4" gap all around, gap being filled by pressure seals) But they lift and lower in sequencing so that the stops on the doors l/e and t/e go behind (inside face) of stops on door cut-out surround, thus physically able to take air pressure loads ( A310, 330 cabin, L1011 cargo C1 C2 C3-not C1A, B757 cargo c1 c2 not c3 bulk) Now having said that, of the a/c listed above I have personal knowledge on all. Can't speak for others, not going to guess. With the A330 and A310 cabin doors being mechanically identical with the A320, they operate the same as described very well above by 320tech, I however differ in the opinion that they come in, as maybe more of a slackening of the mechanical components. Truth be known, the pressure loads are carried by the door stop face to door frame stop face. If you can imagine taking two polished and flat pennies, squeezing them to a pressure as applied to the door stops, and slid them apart, then you would have an idea of what was going on. Before I get shot down, the variables: are the surfaces clean, can the mechanical advantage of lifting the door handle over come the friction of two polished metal surfaces X variable number of stop pairs, are the mechanical components of the door handle well lubed or just tired from years of abuse, is it a 80lbs soaking wet F/A or a buff F/O doing the opening? I don't know, I do know you can ask a former baggage handler that worked at YYZ how fast a pressurized L1011 C3 bulk door snaps off the aircraft with only 3-4 psid, and how much faster his arm snapped. Mind you the door was located some thirty feet from the aircraft.

jamesbuk

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:46 pm

Quoting SATL382G (Reply 19):

LOl ive had a similar occurence, A couple of weeks ago i took off with my instructor in a C150 and at about 800Ft his door came open, made the aircraft very lob sided.

What about the slide doors then, like on 767's if they were activated in flight couldnt they open up as the door is going up and no pressure is pushing the door down only outward ?

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

2enginesonly

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:58 pm

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 33):
What about the slide doors then, like on 767's if they were activated in flight couldnt they open up as the door is going up and no pressure is pushing the door down only outward ?

James,

There is NO WAY a B767 cabindoor can be opened in flight.
At max dif press there is around 15000lbs pushing against the door and the first action the door does to be opened is coming inboard....into the cabin.
After that it goes up into the cabinceiling.
If you take a very strong man, he'll probably brake the doorhandle off instead of opening the door.

Arjan

jamesbuk

Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:24 pm

Quoting 2enginesonly (Reply 34):
2enginesonly

Ah thanks for that i never realised they came inward then up it thought they went more or less straight upwards, those must be very strong doors to cope with 15000lbs of pressure on them!!

RGds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

A342

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:29 pm

Talking about this issue, is it a problem for aircraft operating to high-altitude airports such as BPX or LPB ? How is the door openend there when the aircraft is still pressurized ?
Exceptions confirm the rule.

David L

Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:13 pm

Quoting A342 (Reply 36):
is it a problem for aircraft operating to high-altitude airports such as BPX or LPB ? How is the door openend there when the aircraft is still pressurized ?

Depressurise before opening, as at other airports?  Smile

jspitfire

Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:04 am

Quoting David L (Reply 37):
Depressurise before opening, as at other airports?

I have been learning about the Beech King Air in groundschool, and it has safety systems that prevent the cabin from being pressurized when the aircraft is on the ground. When there is weight on the landing gear, a switch will open the valves to depressurize the cabin if it is not already, so that there won't be any problems opening the door.

Jason

gigneil

Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:28 am

There's a little too much generalization here.

Descend a plane to 10,000 feet and you can open even plug type doors.

It is still standard procedure today to do so on the 747-400 to vent smoke.

N

kaddyuk

Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:29 am

Quoting Jspitfire (Reply 38):
When there is weight on the landing gear, a switch will open the valves to depressurize the cabin if it is not already

I think thats on a few types of aircraft, it also depends on throttle position as well...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

Poitin

Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:09 am

Quoting FLYSSC (Reply 5):
On the upper deck of the B743 or B744 it is IMPOSSIBLE to open the doors, at any altitude as there is an automatic lock security that is activated when the wheels of the main gear leave the ground. The doors are unlocked automatically the same way when one wheel of the main gear touches the ground on landing.

The B727 has a interlock on its rear loading ramp, but if what you say is true, then you can't open the doors if the aircraft ditches in the ocean or has a wheels up landing. I really doubt that.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

ChiGB1973

Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:52 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 41):
The B727 has a interlock on its rear loading ramp, but if what you say is true, then you can't open the doors if the aircraft ditches in the ocean or has a wheels up landing. I really doubt that.

It is true on overwing window exits on the 738 and 753. Though we never discussed this situation, I am relatively sure that when you have to ditch, there is some over ride.

M

57AZ

Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:11 pm

Actually, emergency exits on certain types of aircraft can be opened in flight-specifically those on Douglas and Lockheed propliners. It is common practice to air the cabins out after transporting livestock by leaving the cabin emergency exits open when flying empty.

As for the 727 airstair interlock, it was not introduced until after the Northwest Airlines/DB Cooper incident.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

HAWK21M

Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:30 pm

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 39):
Descend a plane to 10,000 feet and you can open even plug type doors.

Upto the cocked position only.With the Headwind present,opening it would be a problem.
regds
MEL

David L

Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:51 pm

Quoting Jspitfire (Reply 38):
Quoting David L (Reply 37):
Depressurise before opening, as at other airports?

I have been learning about the Beech King Air in groundschool, and it has safety systems that prevent the cabin from being pressurized when the aircraft is on the ground. When there is weight on the landing gear, a switch will open the valves to depressurize the cabin if it is not already, so that there won't be any problems opening the door.

I didn't mean to be too specific, I just meant the pressure would be equalised at some point between cruise and opening the doors.  Smile

litz

Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:08 am

Quoting SafetyDude (Reply 9):
Aircraft doors are capable of being opened when the plane is pressurized, but the amount of force required to do so does not exist

Consider this also ... even assuming you overcome the 15,000 lbs of pressure holding the door in place and get it cracked open, or the pressurization fails, removing this impediment ...

Unless it's a 767 style sliding door, or an overwing hatch that pulls inward -- how are you going to swing that door OUT into the airstream?

Most doors I've seen swing out towards the nose of the aircraft.

I imagine several hundred knots of airspeed is going to want, very very hard, to push that door back into its frame ...

Note the Phillipines incident mentioned above, the hijacker went out an over-wing exit, and DB Cooper used the rear air stairs ...

- litz

YYZYYT

Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:17 am

Quoting FLYSSC (Reply 5):

Am I wrong, or can that defeat the purpose of an emergency exit, i.e. in the case of a gear-up emergency landing?

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Reply 16):

Quoting Jspitfire (Reply 28):
I have heard a story about an aircraft that crashed because the only pilot was sucked out of the aircraft.

To paraphrase Lt. Cmdr. Data from TNG (the episode escapes me): Technically, they were blown out the door.

HAWK21M

Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:25 pm

Quoting Litz (Reply 46):
Note the Phillipines incident mentioned above, the hijacker went out an over-wing exit, and DB Cooper used the rear air stairs

What was the result of the former.
regds
MEL

litz

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:00 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 48):

Quoting Litz,Reply=46:

Note the Phillipines incident mentioned above, the hijacker went out an over-wing exit, and DB Cooper used the rear air stairs

What was the result of the former.

The hijacker safely exited the aircraft, managing to NOT get sliced by the horizontal stabilizer.

Unfortunately for him, his home-made parachute failed to open, and he essentially went splat.

- litz