cancidas

A319 Ailerons Drooping

Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:00 pm

today i noticed that on one of our A319s both ailerons were drooping down. how can that be with fly-by-wire controls?
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

NKP S2

RE: A319 Ailerons Drooping

Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:40 pm

Easy: No hyd pressure plus the weight of the aileron Equals droop. "Fly by wire" only means control by wire ( electrically ) via computers. Hydraulics still do the "heavy lifting".

Mr.BA

Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:50 pm

Noticed that Airbuses' flight controls droop pretty easily... I mean almost all kinds of their planes have the ailerons droop or 'drop' when the hydraulics are turned off but I don't seem to notice the same trend on many Boeings. Especially for the B744s, which the control surfaces are supposedly heavier but they don't seem to droop, not even the high speed ailerons... same goes for the B767.. or so. But the B777s do have the control surfaces droop pretty easily. Is this due to the different systems that power the controls? Seem to notice that FBW can droop easier...

Any explanation?

When I read this all over it sounds so odd Big grin
Boeing747 万岁!

Francoflier

Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:57 pm

Not really right on topic, but I have also noticed that some a/c, especially the A32x family, have their rudders blown by the wind to either side.

Don't those a/c have some kind of gust lock device?
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Starlionblue

Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:24 pm

The construction of the actual hinge and mechanism probably differs slightly from plane to plane, which would explain the differences in behavior. I don't know exactly how they are built, but a simple counterweight in the mechanism would eliminate drooping, for example.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

UAL747

Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:33 am

"Not really right on topic, but I have also noticed that some a/c, especially the A32x family, have their rudders blown by the wind to either side."

If you go to DFW terminal A, when there is the usual strong breeze from the south, all of AA's 777's will have their rudders looking like they are making a hard turn to the right.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

iankay

Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:45 am

If on takeoff/landing, the Airbus FBW software is programmed to droop the ailerons when full flap is selected.

320tech

Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:36 am

What's with all the drooping aileron questions lately?  Smile

A320 series ailerons and elevators droop because pressure is not retained in the servos when hydraulics are off. There is nothing special about fly by wire that would cause it, other than the lack of cables.

Rudders on all large aircraft will displace in a strong wind. Large aircraft don't have gust locks on the rudder (not even the Dash-8), they have dampers, that protect the rudder from being slammed over.

Incidently, the newest A320 series ailerons don't droop. Not sure what's different about them, I'll see what I can find out.
The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the manufacturer and impossible for the AME.

rendezvous

Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:12 am

You'll find that Boeing's have the aileron droop on the groun too. The 767's maily just the inboards and the elevators.