cancidas

Ramp Design - Europe Vs. USA

Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:12 am

i've noticed that here in the US asphalt is used a lot of time in ramp construction. that leads to bumps and ruts being created in hot summer wx. european airports however tend to use more concrete on ramp surfaces. why is this?
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

Starlionblue

RE: Ramp Design - Europe Vs. USA

Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:23 am

While I don't know the answer, I would speculate that climactic variations have a lot to do with it.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

miamiair

Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:05 pm

It could have something to do with the underlying surface. Asphalt is considered flexible, whereas concrete is rigid. The ramp is a multi-layered structure, that is built to ensure that applied loads will not lead to distress (term is preferred to failure in this subject) in it or the lower layers.

Here in the US the accepted standard is the CBR Procedure adapter to airfield pavements. CBR method was developed by the California Division of Highways back in 1928. This was then adapted by the US Army Corps of Engineers after the outbreak of WWII.

The test expresses an index of shearing strength of the soil. The test consists of compacting about 10 lbs of soil in a 6-inch diameter mold, placing a surcharge on the surface of the sample, immersing the sample in water for for days and penetrating the sample with a steel piston approx. 2-inches in diameter at a specified rate of loading. The resistance of the soil to penetration, expressed as a percentage of the resistance for a standard crushed stone, is the CBR of the soil.

It appears that is a matter of apples and oranges.

(reference:Planning & Design of Airports, 3rd Edition, Robert Horonjeff/Francis X McKelvey, McGraw Hill 1983)
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

cancidas

Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:24 am

miamiair, are you by any change selling that book? i think that's the one i need for class...  Laugh out loud

miamiair

Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:48 am

Cancidas...

Nope, but would be happy to scan sections of it for you. let me know.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

cancidas

Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:19 am

thanks miami, i had a buddy give me the book today. Big grin