kcrwflyer

How Do Diferent Typrs Of Reverse Thrust Work?

Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:19 pm

its pbvious how Bucket or Clamshell reverse works....

How does cascade reverse work? How does the side of the curcular engine moving back push air foward?

Also are there any other types? I know there is a certain type on airbus aircraft where 4 flap things on the engine swing out?

320tech

RE: How Do Diferent Typrs Of Reverse Thrust Work?

Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:25 pm

All thrust reversers basically work the same way. They move a blocker into the airstream (on high-bypass engines, only the bypass air gets reversed).

The A320 uses four blocker doors that pivot into the airflow. They're hydraulically actuated - the actuators can be seen easily enough if you're in the correct seat.

Cascade reversers use a sliding sleeve (the duct itself). The sleeve moves aft, which simultaneously exposes the exhaust area (looks like a grate) and extends internal blockers. The blockers on the V2500 look particularly flimsy, but obviously work fine.
The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the manufacturer and impossible for the AME.

kcrwflyer

Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:30 pm

is a certain kind stronger than another? I was talking with some 737 200 pilots a few years ago at KCRW and they said that the reversers on that aircraft were almost equal to braking in a landing scenario.

Starlionblue

Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:21 pm

Reversers are becoming less important since carbon brakes are so efficient and noise abatement more of an issue.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

kcrwflyer

Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:13 pm

not in CRW... the pilots i talk to (regional jet , and dash/saab pilots), say they just reverse to stop unless its rainy or something, they say it saves brakes for when you really need em. And their reverse isnt very loud to begin with.

pilotpip

Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:51 pm

Modern carbon brakes work better when heated up, so you need to use them. Trans States has been ordering ERJs without TRs for about a year. It saves 700lbs and tons of maintinance. Reversers aren't taken into account for landing performance and they are just a bonus. Most modern autobrake systems are effective enough that many airlines are changing their procedures to simply deploying the reversers but not increasing thrust.

As far as strength, clamshells are usally considered the more effective (and louder) of the two types. As mentioned above, cascades only redirect the bypass flow. Clamshells redirect all of it.
DMI

A340600

Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:32 am

The A320 uses four blocker doors that pivot into the airflow. They're hydraulically actuated - the actuators can be seen easily enough if you're in the correct seat.

IAE have the pushbacks

Sam Big thumbs up
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

XFSUgimpLB41X

Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:42 am

The CRJ's reversers take so dang long to deploy that if I need to stop quickly by the time I finally get the reversers out and have been pretty heavily on the brakes, its already time to stow them because we'll already be passing below 80 knots. The brakes are very very effective, though idle reverse at high speed definitely has a nice effect.
Chicks dig winglets.

oly720man

Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:25 pm

The cascade reversers are just a series of curved vanes that direct the flow forward, or, depending on the design of the vanes, forwards and sideways. There are different designs of the vanes for different parts of the aircraft - near the fuselage, near the ground - where the flow direction might cause problems or damage.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain