Blackbird1331
Topic Author

Notams

Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:12 am

If this was an airport in the USA, would there be a NOTAM for anyone going into or out of this airport? I am thinking primarily of engine-out on takeoff, and emergency landings.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jeppe de Boer

Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

OPNLguy

RE: Notams

Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:31 am

I've heard some approaches described as "black holes" before, but this one adds a whole new dimension to that expression...  Big grin
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

OPNLguy

Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:13 am

In case anyone's wondering about the hole itself...

"Mirny is scarred by a 550m-deep open-caste diamond mining pit on the edge of town, but conditions there are much better than Norilsk, where there is heavy pollution and the bloody legacy of an industry built originally by prisoners from Stalin's gulags."

That's one -deep- hole...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

meister808

Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:32 am

Thats a big hole.

To answer your question, I doubt a NOTAM would be filed, as NOTAMS are temporary things. I wouldn't imagine that this hole in the ground is very temporary, so I would guess that something like that would go in the A/FD, where more long-term information is apt to go.

That would be an interesting one though...

"Caution for 1/4SM dia. open pit mine, 1/4 mi. from end of Rwy. 06."
Twin Cessna 812 Victor, Minneapolis Center, we observe your operation in the immediate vicinity of extreme precipitation

studentflyer

Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:33 am

Geeezzzz, that's one hell of a hole. I must agree with Blackbird1331, what would happen if there's an emergency - engine-out on t/o?? Is the airport certified for international flights?? considering the danger it may pose in regards to international safety....

IL76TD

Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:15 pm

Yea, on the original subject, NOTAMs are temporary. Such that, when we receive our squawk from RAMCC for missions to Afganistan, the letter contains the wording

"Please note, all slot times are overridden by relevant NOTAMs"

Starlionblue

Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:41 pm

what would happen if there's an emergency - engine-out on t/o??

How would a hole change things? Is it better to crash into a suburb (LHR, JFK, etc...). I mean it's just a hole, not a hill.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo