KDTWflyer

Delayed Gear Retraction Video

Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:56 am

Go to http://www.flightlevel350.com.

In the keywords box enter file ID 1096443254-73. Make sure that for the search-in drop-down menu that you have selected File ID. Execute the search and the results page should show a AA757 taking off from LAX. Watch the video and notice how the crew doesn't raise the gear. Special procedure or mistake/malfunction?
NW B744 B742 B753 B752 A333 A332 A320 A319 DC10 DC9 ARJ CRJ S340

aogdesk

RE: Delayed Gear Retraction Video

Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:10 pm

true....thats definitely longer than normal. My guess is that the flight was a gear down ferry with the gear pinned.....OR perhaps they had a take-off phase problem that required to be dealt with prior to lifting the gear....OR perhaps the crew just couldn't find that lever with the wheel on the end of it... Smile/happy/getting dizzy

barney captain

Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:09 pm

It's probably 1 of 2 things;

1. A gear down ferry flight (as mentioned)

2. Or simply (and more likely), a brake cooling technique. Retracting hot brakes in to an enclosed wheel well sometimes has, well,......bad results.
Southeast Of Disorder

waketurbulence

Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:11 pm

Could be any of the above. I read another post on this site from a jump seater saying that the crew flying the plane was arguing about proper V-Speeds and didn't retract the gear until a couple minutes into the flight. In normal circumstances gear is retracted after positive rate of climb is established.
-Matt

AJ

Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:59 pm

Another possibility that Barney alluded to is a deferred defect procedure required to be flown when a brake is deactivated.

A brake unit can be deactivated with tooling or by capping the brake. If the brake is capped the undercarriage must be left extended for two minutes after departure to ensure the wheels have spun down prior to retraction.

Cheers.

crjdispatchkid

Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:21 am

My experiences as a dispatcher (for the CRJ) is the following. The main landing gear bay door overheat is probably inop (deffered). Basically, it's probably because a sensor that tells the temperature of the gear bay is broken, so you fly with the gear down to make sure they are cool. In our MEL it states that the gear must remained down for 10 minutes after takeoff. Then the gear can be retracted and continue as normal.

Thanks...C-Ya...Bye

Hirnie

Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:51 am

All reasons above are correct.
I would bet on hot brakes for which the gaer remains extended to cool down. This is the reason seen most often at airports when pilots don`t retract undercarriage after having positive rate of climb.

AAR90

Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:04 am

I would bet on hot brakes for which the gaer remains extended to cool down.

Highly doubtful. This is a departure and the taxiout is at relatively slow speeds with little opportunity to heat up the brakes.

This is the reason seen most often at airports when pilots don`t retract undercarriage after having positive rate of climb.

Uh, nope. The most common reason is a deactivation of one of the brake pucks meaning a tire/wheel will not be stopped by the brake system prior to retracting into the wheel well. "Hot brakes" only come into play during a relatively quick turnaround... something a B757 can not do...especially at LAX.
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

miamiair

Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:17 pm

When taxiing a long distance and stop and go in the line to depart; an accepted practice is to leave the gear extended a bit longer to cool the brakes. Key to this is not exceed the gear operating speed.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

longhauler

Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:56 pm

It also depnds on how short the turn-around was, on a quick turn, the brakes can still be pretty hot from the previous landing. Leaving the gear down is an accepted practise to cool them.

There is even a chart one can refer to, that given the landing distance/temp/weight, outside temp, taxi time, etc, how long the gear should be left extended after take off.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

LineMechQX

Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:11 am

Maybe it was a mistake, I've seen an instance with a newer FO. The story as it was relayed to us was that she was supposed to have retracted the gear, but somehow between her and the captain they got left down, and exceeded gear operation speed. Then in a stroke of genius they brought the gear up in the hole. Opening the fragile gear doors, and requiring a Return to Field, and some lengthy overspeed inspections. Not fun on a busy night in the hangar. Probably not the case, here, but you never know.

Late
PC

emansilla

Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:25 am

Hi Guys,

I took the mentioned video, I am also the webmaster of Flightlevel350.com and I saw the same thing happen to an A340 from Lufthansa (have it on video) where it left the gear down as far as I could see with my zoom (about 2 minutes after take off). That day was a really hot day (100F+) so my guess is that they still had hot brakes from their previous landing (since on hot days more braking is required due to less dense air and less effective reversers/airspeed brakes?) or due to long taxiing time. It is common procedure to leave the gear down to cool off brakes.

I'm glad you are enjoying the site.

Regards,

Esteban Mansilla

KDTWflyer

Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:13 pm

Emansilla,

That website is the best! Keep it up Smile
NW B744 B742 B753 B752 A333 A332 A320 A319 DC10 DC9 ARJ CRJ S340