thegreatchecko

CRJ Bleed Air System

Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:20 pm

In light of the recent and unforuntate crash of the Pinnacle CRJ-200 in Jefferson City, MO and all the attention that the maintenance the aircraft received on its bleed air system in Little Rock before its last flight:

Could the bleed air system on a CRJ fail in such a way that it could cause on its own a dual engine failure?

My rudimentary knowledge of bleed air systems would lead me to say that on its own a bleed air system, unless it was an extremely unlikely event of two separate failures occuring nearly simulataneously, could cause a dual engine failure.

Please feel free to prove me wrong. I also wouldnt mind learning a bit about the bleed air system on the CRJ's while im at it.  Wink/being sarcastic

Thanks!

GreatChecko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

lowrider

RE: CRJ Bleed Air System

Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:46 pm

My initial answer is probably not. There is a requirement to run at least one pack above a certain altitude (36000 if I remember correctly). My response to that is, no kidding, you have to pressurize the aircraft somehow. Off the top of my head, the only way for the bleed air system to fail both engines is for one of the systems, (there are 7th, 10th, and 14th stage bleed air) to be installed so incorrectly that part/parts get pulled in through the bleed air taps and fod out both engines. I think the frozen fuel/fuel line/contaminated fuel scenerios are more likely.
Proud OOTSK member

B747FE

Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:55 am

In the CRJ 100/200-CF3403A1/B1, flight can be continued or aircraft can be dispatched, after a failure in one of the air conditioning packs, providing the max FL is limited to 250. (According to AFM and MEL).
"Flying is more than a sport and more than a job; flying is pure passion and desire, which fill a lifetime"

lowrider

Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:21 am

True, but this aircraft was operating at 410, so this MEL was obviously not in effect. The both packs and various other components of the bleed air systems can be MEL'd as well, provided the aircraft is operated unpressurized and/or with other restrictions. I may not know all about the bleed air system, but I am having a hard time coming up with a way that is could fail both engines.
Proud OOTSK member

fr8tdog

Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:16 pm

It wasnt a bleed problem.... it was a disruption of airflow from a series of occillations. that caused both engines to flame out.

cannikin

Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:20 pm

"It wasnt a bleed problem.... it was a disruption of airflow from a series of occillations. that caused both engines to flame out. "

Are you able to elaborate on the occillations?

fr8tdog

Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:47 pm

Sorry I cant yet until I am sure its public info.....