beeweel15

Touch Down

Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:12 am

I have noticed something when the 777,757,767 and A330/340 touch down. Now these aircraft have their main landing gears tilted slightly back or forward. When the Boeing aircraft touch down they make a complete touch down on the runway. however when the A330/340 touch down the main main landing gear which is tilted back the two rear wheels will touch the ground first then the aircraft does a slight lift then settles down on the other main gear wheels and complete the touch down. I saw this yesterday at JFK with an Air France A330-200 and a Lufthansa A340-300 and many times in the past with these aircraft. Is the something particular to airbus.

Buzz

RE: Touch Down

Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:08 pm

Hi Beewee, Buzz here. I'm thinking that if the guys in front flare at the right point, the MLG touches, some of the weight is transferred to the ground. This reduces the rate of descent a little - so you see a slight lift.

If a taildragger pilot does a wheel landing, he'll push forward at just the right time (on the stick, or yoke) to add a little lift to the tail to keep the tail from sinking / continuing it's descent. Then you roll along on just the MLG and keep the tail up in the air until you run out of airspeed.
g'nite

SlamClick

RE: Touch Down

Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:53 pm

I'd never noticed the little lift you mentioned but I think I'd agree with Buzz on the reason.

When you land the A-330 you feel three distinct bumps, one for the rear truck one for the forward truch, then another for the nosewheel. It is more pronounced on the 330 than on any other tandem-gear I've flown.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.