nick57

Fuel Saving On New Aircraft

Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:48 pm

Hello,

I heard that the manufacturers of modern airliners (Boeing, Airbus) have found a way to save fuel by reducing the conditioned bleed airflow to the cabin during certain phases of flight. Apparently, this has already been implemented on most or all new aircraft since the mid nineties.
It would seem that such a method would have a negative, and perhaps detrimental effect on air quality and should be taken seriously at a time when there is global concern about passenger in-flight contamination (triggered by SARS).

Can anyone confirm that the above procedure is indeed applied, what fuel savings are being achieved and what is your opinion on the possible effects on contamination.

Thanks in advance,
Nick57

AAR90

RE: Fuel Saving On New Aircraft

Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:13 pm

Yes, it is called recycling a portion of the cabin air thereby reducing the need to supply fresh outside air (via engine bleed air system), which in turn reduces the workload of the engine(s) and increasing fuel efficiency. The recycled air is (normally) routed thru HEPA filters (3-5 micron or less) before being mixed with fresh incoming air and routed to the cabin. Due to the rate of exchange of cabin air, you're more likely to catch a cold in an office building or hospital than you would in an airliner cabin. Nothing you can do about sitting right next to somebody with a problem, but if you're a couple of rows away you'll never "share" the same air (circulation is vertical, not horizontal).
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

FredT

RE: Fuel Saving On New Aircraft

Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:18 pm

Many airlines also turn off the recycling when there's something going around, such as during the SARS crisis.

Cheers,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.