John
Topic Author

St. Thomas, VI (STT) Approaches...

Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:44 pm

....how often will you have a tail wind, since you technically can only land on that runway in one direction, due to the obstructions (hills) on the opposite end. What is the normal prevailing wind at STT? Also, are strong crosswinds common?

411A

RE: St. Thomas, VI (STT) Approaches...

Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:35 pm

I used to fly DC-3's on a scheduled basis to STT, and yes, there can be tailwinds landing to the east, but generally not very strong...usually 5 knots or less.

However, there CAN be significant turbulance/windshear while landing, if the wind is from the north, due to the rather high bluffs on the north side of the airport.

Up until the runway was extended, most airlines operating turbojet equipment classified STT as a 'Captains only' landing airfield.

Don't know about now.

ejaymd11

RE: St. Thomas, VI (STT) Approaches...

Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:41 pm

Hey I'm from Saint Thomas so I'll give this a try. During the summer what I noticed is that the winds were normally out of the east cause that is just how the winds flow normally, especially during the summer patterns. Also when the tail winds are strong like this time of the year I think they may divert to San Juan and Saint Croix. But I think the winds are normally out of the east.

Ejaymd11