XXXX10
Topic Author

Varadero Approach

Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:07 am

I will be traveling to varadero shortly on Thomas Cook ,

can anyone tell me what sort of approach we can expect?

Will we be radar vectored? (do they have radar?)

If not will it be procedural or is it more likely that it will be visual?

Does anyone know what sort of navigation aids there are ?

Many thanks

videns

RE: Varadero Approach

Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:01 am

I'm not sure what they have or don't, but I flew to Varadero, Cuba in '98 in a chartered 757 and it was a pretty scary ride. After pushback in EZE, both engines got started and the plane started moving. After 3 or 4 meters, the whole airplane shut down... All the interior and exterior lighting, the engines... everything... After everything got back to normal, the rest of the flight was ok. The crew changed in St. Maarten and we were on our way to Varadero. On approach, you could already see the tree tops, and the engines spooled up again for a go-around, and after a couple minutes, the captain told everybody that we had to go to Havana until the weather cleared in Varadero.
So in '98 it seems to me like it was visual. The weather wasn't even that bad. It was sunny with scattered clouds...
Travel? Why would i travel if I can watch it on TV?

XXXX10
Topic Author

Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:02 pm

Thanks, sounds like you needed a holiday after that!

FLYtoEGCC

Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:11 am

The runway at Varadero is 11400ft and orientated 09/27. When I flew there with Monarch this summer, it appeared to be a standard visual approach. We could see the runway from the downwind leg, and we seemed to be quite low when turning on to finals. The landing gear and full flaps had been selected just as we were turning on to the base leg. There wasn't a lot of traffic around at all; the only other aircraft using the airport at the time was a Condor 767, which came in about half an hour after we landed.
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...