bayouflyer

Not So Airtight Fuselage?

Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:04 am

I am curious about some details in this picture taken by Antti Salo.....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Antti Salo

I get the impression from the evenly spaced "dashes" in the snow on the fuselage that warm air from the cabin is escaping through the rivet lines on the rib stations. Of course, if this were the case, the aircraft could never hold pressure at altitude....right? Can anyone shed some light on what would cause this pattern in the snowfall?

SPREE34

RE: Not So Airtight Fuselage?

Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:39 am

Heat from inside is transmitting quicker through the frame members to the outside, than throug hthe space between frame members which is insulated. You can see this happen in cars as well, sometimes on buildings.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

jfkaua

Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:03 am

yea it seems that the metal transmits the heat from point a to point b faster then hollow air.

SATL382G

Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:02 am

Metal is a conductor of heat whereas air tends to be an insulator. Your clothes and the insulation in your house trap air which is why they keep you warm.
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

bayouflyer

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:21 am

Thanks folks. Now I can sleep tonight!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

aviopic

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:31 am

All true, on the other hand not a single airframe is 100% air tight and they all lose pressure at the moment you stop doing something about it.
Even a bullet hole does not lead to loss of pressure as many people seem to think, the system can easily cope with that as it does not add much to the amount of air you are loosing anyway.
By the time the hole becomes as big as a window you are in serious trouble though.
The truth lives in one’s mind, it doesn’t really exist