boeingflying31

Urgent! Help...Lost My Pilot Lic.

Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:55 am

Hey everyone...I have a problem. I just found out yesterday that I will be going to San Diego to fly with some buddys since I found a cheap fare on the net. However, I havent flown in a year and I lost my pilot lic. Im planning on getting a check out flight from an old instructor I used to know there but what should I do about the pilot lic? I figured the FAA offices are closed since today is a holiday...but Im hoping I can get a temporary certificate since I found the temporary one my examiner issued me a year ago(already expired). Any help/feedback would help a lot. Thanks!
-BF31

dw747400

RE: Urgent! Help...Lost My Pilot Lic.

Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:06 am

I think the only way you could get a piece of paper in your hand within a couple of days would be to go on a checkride with a Examiner... FAA can take weeks or months to process requests (when I got my temporary certificate the DE made it VERY clear what the procedures were if the FAA took to long to get me the actual license... it happens a lot).

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any fast way to get you qualified as a PIC short of spending a lot of money on a checkride.
If you have a few weeks... months... maybe years... I'm sure the FAA can give you hand.

Good luck. I hope somebody can tell me I was wrong!
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

fspilot747

Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:22 am

Call the FSDO, they should be able to fax you a temp. which I believe lasts 60 days? I might be off on that figure, but I remember reading it somewhere, maybe the FAA website.

I don't see what the rush is, though. Unless you really have to fly for some urgent reason, just wait till after the holiday, call the FSDO, they'll tell you what to do.

http://www.faa.gov has a good FAQ section for this stuff.

'luck

PhilSquares

Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:44 am

Fly fast, live slow

ordflyer

Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:40 pm

Earlier this fall I filed that online form to update my license to the new style (it was the same procedure as filing for a lost license). Very easy to do and only took maybe 3 weeks for it to come...pretty fast considering it is the FAA. I'd imagine they may be backed up because of the holiday season now though, so if you really need it in the next few weeks the FSDO can probably do something to help the process.