HermansCVR580
Topic Author

PHL Aircraft Refueling?

Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:44 am

I was in PHL this past week, and I noticed for such a large airport with so much traffic there, the planes were being fueled using tanker trucks instead of fueling off a hydrant system. Though when I was on the plane I thought I saw the hydrant pits in the ground?? Do they have a hydrant system or was I seeing things?? I thought being so close to water maybe they couldnt put the piping in since it could leak into the water?? I know that is why MSY does not have a hydrant system. Could sombody please explain to me the PHL fueling operation.

Thank you very much Big grin
The right decision at the wrong time, is still a wrong decision. "Hal Carr"

SlamClick

RE: PHL Aircraft Refueling?

Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:17 am

I can tell you for sure that PHL does have a hydrant system in use every day at terminals A, B, C, and D that I know of.

There might be any number of reasons for a given plane not to be using the hydrant system: Airline not a member of the tank farm group, hydrant inop at that gate, and so on.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Klaus

Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:51 am

Are there competing fuel providers at the same airport or is it monopolized usually?

HermansCVR580
Topic Author

Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:12 am

We left on Northwest Airlines. We were refueled using a tanker, and when we were leaving I saw a United A-319 also being refueled using a tanker?? The only Company I saw was ASIG, and I think United did there own fueling also Smile

PHLapproach

Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:10 am

To my understanding all of Echo and the East side of Delta, they need refueling trucks. Never have I once seen them hydrant system at those terminals. Thats a bit odd, never thought of that. I'm sure US and the City of Philadelphia got some funding or something to do it at all the US terminal's.

HermansCVR580
Topic Author

Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:17 pm

Thank you to all who have replied Smile I was just so curious why such a big airport was still using tankers. We have a hydrant system in MKE and its nowhere near the size of PHL. Though we need to use tankers on a lot of the RJ's since the hoses for the hydrant trucks can't reach do to the hydrant pits being placed for mainline jets.