SATL382G
Topic Author

Frankensteined Modern Jets

Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:26 am

All,

There's a thread running in civil av about the remains of 2 crashed DC-9s sitting one on top of the other in a scrapyard. Kind of a lame thread, but one of the replies stated that NW had a DC-9 (N994Z) that consisted of the wings of the Air Canada DC-9 that burned at Cincinnati and the fuselage of the Ozark DC-9 that took out a snow blower on landing at Sioux Falls.

View Large View Medium

Photo © TJ OKeefe

My question to you: Are there any other examples of a modern commercial jet aircraft that consists of structural components from 2 (or more) crashed/severely damaged aircraft? I wasn't aware of any 'til this morning, though I know the military has done this (F-16s and C-130s come to mind)

Thanks,

Scott

edit: I'm also curious about who did the surgery on N994Z (NW, Ozark, or McDoug) and any stories that resulted. thanks..

[Edited 2004-12-06 16:47:27]
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

HaveBlue

RE: Frankensteined Modern Jets

Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:47 am

My favorite example of this is the SR-71C.

Here's a description: THE SR-71C IS THE ONLY TRAINER MADE WITH TWO DIFFERENT AIRFRAMES,ONE BEING A SALVAGED YF-12A AND AN FUNCTIONAL
MOCKUP OF AN SR-71. HAVE BEEN BUILT AS AN SR-71,BUT GIVEN
YF-12 DESIGNATION FOR SERVICE AS A NASA VEHICLE.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

DeltaGuy

Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:53 am

I know the Navy does this quite often...it's called having a "rob bird". I've seen several incidents where the aircraft landed disabled, but was too badly damaged to be worth anything, so it's just parted out piece by piece, and those parts live on in other frames. Perfectly safe, I promise...they inspect these things well.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

N328KF

Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:46 am

DeltaGuy:

Or more frequently, cannibalization.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

SATL382G
Topic Author

Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:54 am

Robbing or canning isn't exactly what I had in mind. Canning is relatively frequent. I'm talking about major structural components i.e. wings, fuselage, vert stabs, etc.
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

DeltaGuy

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:29 pm

Cannibalization is also a very accurate term...Hangar Queen describes the whole beast.

SATL, we are talking major wings and components as well as smaller disposable pieces. Ex- If the front of the jet is a writeoff from a runin with a hangar, but the empanage is perfectly good, it'll be up in the air in no time, especially in the military  Big grin

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Dalmd88

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:50 pm

Northeast Express was a NWairlink partner in the early 90's. They had a Metro taxi into a ditch I think in Maine. For some reason they wanted to repair it. A crew from Fairchild spent most of the winter replacing the entire cockpit with one from another wreck. I talked to one of the engineers and saw his pictures. It was a huge job for a plane the value of a Metro.

studentflyer

Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:21 pm

Hi SATL, if it was cannibalization of an aircraft, I remember reading an Eastern Airlines Flight 401, an L-1011 that went down in the Everglades with 99 fatalities. The plane was a write-off, but components were taken from the plane, and I know this might sound off-the-track, but planes that had component taken from that stricken aircraft (N310EA) were haunted by Flight 401's flight crew. It was better known as the Ghost of Flight 401.

Sorry it might be slightly off-track, but a perfect example of cannibalization.

Regards,
AK

707CMF

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:14 am

Not a civil airliner,but the Midour uses the wing of a DR400 on a much smaller airframe :

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Antoine Ossadzow

Cheers,

TechRep

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:00 am

This is more common then many of you would believe and it's called a salvage repair. This Do328-100 aircraft is a combination of aircraft S/N 3018 and S/N 3049. N458PS had an uncontrolled nose gear retraction on landing and the entire nose production section and nacelles were removed and transferred from S/N 3018 to S/N 3049.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/334039/M/

TechRep