Tom in NO
Topic Author

Alaska Airlines Flight Ops In Southeast Alaska

Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:12 am

Got kind a complicated question directed primarily towards Alaska Airlines personnel (pilots, dispatchers, etc), or anybody else who may know.

In flying my Flight Sim 2002 (currently the 737 I'm flying is at Wrangell, AK), and in trying to set up flights further north (next destination is Petersburg), I'm finding that setting up IFR routing is fairly complicated in that flying between these two airports that appear to be only 28 miles apart is requiring flying routes that are two to three times as long. I've got a copy of the NOAA approach plates, etc for Alaska, and in reading the departure profile for Wrangell, and the LDA approach to Petersburg, it seems like I'm flying over half of southeastern Alaska.

Is this pretty normal for flight ops in this part of the state (also Sitka, Juneau, etc)? Is a VFR routing flown much?

Does Alaska fly the GPS approaches more often than the LDA's?

Thanks for any and all thoughts.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

SlamClick

RE: Alaska Airlines Flight Ops In Southeast Alaska

Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:39 am

While waiting for an Alaska pilot to pop up here, I'll offer this. To the best of my knowledge AS crews shoot only ILS and coded RNAV approaches now. It might account for a longer route because it is between waypoints rather than on a VOR-based airway, but it would also be more precisely located, allowing for lower minima.

I've had some exposure to this but it has been a while.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

LAXintl

Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:11 am

WRG.KAJBU1.IRUNE..PSG

WRG.HABNA1.IRUNE..PSG

Are 2 typical B737-400 rts from from WRG to PSG.
Alaska has some custom RNAV procedures that will not show up in the NOAA plates.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

OPNLguy

Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:26 pm

Tom,

Part 121 Domestic/Flag flights file IFR, irrespective of weather... .
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

BlatantEcho

Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:29 pm

I've promised myself, before this life is done, that I'll catch an Alaska flight up to Barrow in the dead of winter, just to see what it's like up there.

George
They're not handing trophies out today