DLKAPA
Topic Author

If I Was Looking To Startup An Airline, I Would...

Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:32 am

Just what it says. Say I was looking to start an airline, what is the first thing I would do? Where would I go for financing, and how would I go about getting employees and operating certificates?

(Don't read anything into this post)
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

ZKSUJ

RE: If I Was Looking To Startup An Airline, I Would...

Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:54 pm

You would need to win the lottery 10 tiimes over my friend. It is a very expensive thing to do  Big grin

sccutler

RE: If I Was Looking To Startup An Airline, I Woul

Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:10 pm

...seek professional counseling, and quick!

Best way to make a small fortune in the airline business? Start with a large one!
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

DLKAPA
Topic Author

Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:33 pm

Yes thanks I'm already aware of that. I thought I could turn to a.net for useful answers, thanks for telling me what I already knew in the first place.

Anybody else?
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

OpsGuy

Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:39 pm

Very simply stated, you would have to come up with a business plan to present to possible investors to secure funding. The business plan has to include everything from routes and aircraft, down to what type of food and drinks you would serve. I'm not sure how they do it overseas, but in the states, once you have secured funding you can apply to the Federal Government for certificates.

The government will look at your business plan and ensure that you have a product that is financially healthy and that won't fold right as soon as it starts. The DOT (Department of Transportation), and FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) review the proposal and approve or deny certification. You also need to work with potential airports you would like to serve in order to acquire space, and forget about the slot controlled airports they are very hard to get into.

Like I said earlier, this is very simply stated, and there is a lot more that goes into it. The DOT will post applications for new airlines on its website for public comment. You can review the dockets section of http://www.dot.gov for some interesting and sometimes dry reading.

Virgin America is going through this process right now. You should check out their website http://virginamerica.com and see what info you can dig up on them.

OpsGuy

[Edited 2004-12-09 07:43:07]
Is this the Delta House?

DLKAPA
Topic Author

Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:26 pm

You are the man! Thanks OpsGuy, that's exactly what I wanted.

Catatonic

Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:47 pm

When I clcoked on this thread i thought it was about finishing the line of "If I Was Looking To Startup An Airline, I Would..."

Since this is not the case and having prepared myslef to reply to this I am going to say it anyway:

If I Was Looking To Startup An Airline, I Would... be laughed out of my bank for asking for a loan!"
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

DLKAPA
Topic Author

Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:59 pm

Meh, I guess there will always be naysayers.

And yes, Finishing the line was the case, in that OpsGuy finished said line quite well.

And if you think i'm dumb enough to go to my hometown bank and ask for that kind of money, think again.

TS-IOR

Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:00 pm

With a strong and convincing business plan, you can convince financial institutions to give funds. Once you have reached the necessary operating amount of money, established the official administrative status of the company, contacted lessors for aircrafts...at that time you can have your AOC.