Inbound
Topic Author

Digital Logbook

Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:24 pm

Does anyone know of a good computer based logbook I can either buy or download?

I would like to back up my daily entries on my pc just for the sake of well...fun :p

Maintain own separation with terrain!

corey07850

RE: Digital Logbook

Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:58 am

If you have Excel you can make one up in probably 5 minutes

Woodreau

Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:59 am

I'll second Excel, if you already have it and don't want to shell out money.

I've set mine up so that as I enter the flight info, it updates all the times so that on another sheet, it lists all the flight time by N-number, category and class, and month and year.

But one that I hear others recommend a lot is Logbook Pro, it's about $70.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

vneplus5

Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:48 am

I think you should use Excel just for the sheer flexibility.

With commercial logbook software you are limited to the functionality which the programmers give you. With Excel it is unlimited, you can manipulate the data in any way imaginable.

On that subject, I would never trust a computer-based logbook as the primary way of recording flights. Everything goes in the good ol' fashioned paper logbook and then is entered on the spreadsheet.

Cheers.

flyf15

Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:50 am

I used to use excel...good program for a logbook. Though, in a couple of hours, I taught myself Microsoft Access and it is now what I use. The custom searches are great as well as the ability to tie in databases. For example, I have a logbook database, a student database, an aircraft database, and so on. When I type an N# into my logbook, through the aircraft database, it automatically knows if its a single, twin, glider, etc...if its high performance, complex, ...

I don't know much at all about dedicated logbook programs.

DColeMAN

Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:51 am

I use Microsoft Works Database. Seems to be just as good as any other digital logbook  Smile

Dale
Topless Women Drink 4 Free

ZBBbird

Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:15 am

Hey, I agree with the above. Excel or a similar program is the way to go. I would never rely on it as a primary way to track hours, but it is a great backup. I went all out and have it setup so that I fill in the first page as a normal logbook, then on other pages it gives me a breakdown of total hours and totals of each category, as well as by plane, instructor and pax. As well, I added a nice little pie chart of hours by category  Smile  Smile

Okie

Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:19 am

One of the problems that I have run into in other industries (non aviation) is that Excel and similar type programs are not always recognized as legal document since data can be changed at anytime.
I do not want to go into specifics here, but there are other alternatives on the market in which the data cannot be altered (Honeywell offers a system)
This legal issue came up involving a product that was recalled several years ago where the possibility (existed) that data could or may had been changed.
No names about the product here but they were black and round and rolled on the ground.

I suspect somewhere down the line FAA may make some new rule.

Okie

LimaFoxTango

Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:07 am

As everyone above has said which I totally agree, use Excel. For me, it goes into the logbook first, then into Excel as a back up. I'm sure someone here wouldnt mind sending you a blank copy of their spreadsheet so you can see what everyone is talking about. If you want, I can send you a blank copy of mine. Jus email me. Btw, hows there weather there? It's nice and sunny up here!!
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

pilotpip

Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:49 am

Excel here as well. If only I kept up with it...

It's not my primary but it's a great way to separate all the info. This comes in real handy when you need to fill out an 8710 form or get total time in type for a job. Mine's about a year behind though. One of these days I'll get around to updating it  Smile
DMI

Inbound
Topic Author

Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:29 pm

thanks for all the suggestions  Smile

V2-LFT, lots of rain down here, sick and tired of it.

glad to hear you have sunshine up there in ANU. these islands deserve it after such a rough hurricane season.

I wouldn't mind the blank page as a sample....just click on my name and send the info there.

thanks in advance
and thanks again for all the replies.
Maintain own separation with terrain!

pilottim747

Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:13 am

Flyf15,

Is it pretty easy to set up the aircraft database and link it to a logbook database in Access?

pilottim747
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.