airxliban

Anyone Want To Help Me On My HF Paper?

Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:51 pm

I have written a research paper of 18 pages double spaced on the topic of the human factors of Airbus' and Boeing's aircraft control philosophies...includes such topics as Airbus' envelope of safety, boeing's stick shaker, fly by wire, etc.

If you are someone in the field and if you are willing to read it and give constructive feedback on it then that would much appreciated.

please let me know how i can contact you.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

TS-IOR

RE: Anyone Want To Help Me On My HF Paper?

Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:50 pm

When i was having my theoretical ATPL course, now discontinued Big grin , i had, and i still have it, a whole book/manual on Human Factors with series of exercices...

If you need any help, just ask... Big grin
Next flight TUN-YUL Tunisair A330-243.

Buzz

Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:40 pm

Hi AirxLiban, Buzz here. I've been able to compare Boeings and A320's from a Wrench-bender's point of view. I haven't compared the guts of the flight control system, and i don't fly them. But several years ago we started a list of differences between the 737's which we know fairly well and the A320's which were new and novel, and confusing. I can send it you way if you'd like.
It's not uncommon for flight crews to make the last minute radio call to "make that ECAM message go away so we can fly". It takes a while to learn what the airplane is complaining about.
g'day
Buzz Fuselsausage:LIne Mechanic by night, DC-3 Crew Chief by choice, taildragger pilot for fun.

SlamClick

Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:35 am

It is going to be very difficult to get a qualitative comparison between the human factors of Airbus versus Boeing. It is rather subjective and all pilots arrive on the flight deck of Airbus and Boeing products by way of a long string of smaller airplanes from their first trainer to their most recent ride. We develop preferences along the way.

Over about a five year span I qualified in Boeing, Airbus, Boeing, Airbus (different models) in that order. I have a complete picture of the differences, but I'm not sure I can state flat-out that this is better than that.

For example, I much prefer the Airbus (talking about FBW models here) flight deck as a work environment. It is clean, uncluttered, simple.

On the other hand when I am flying an Airbus I notice that everything I can see is cheap. I see the seats and the interior falling apart in a four year old airplane and I ponder seriously whether the wing might fall off in light turbulence. Such a lack of confidence in the machine surely must be a human factor.

Anyway, good luck with your paper AirxLiban it is a good topic and there is still work to be done in that field. Sorry I cannot offer any substantive help.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

bsergonomics

Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:09 am

I can take a look if you wish.

However, please note that my experience is with military aircraft and I have almost no knowledge of Boeing and Airbus cockpits. However, if you would like me to take a look at it from the Human Factors perspective, feel free to send me a copy (no more than 3mB, though).

See my profile for details.
The definition of a 'Pessimist': an Optimist with experience...