DeltaWings
Topic Author

What Is The Purpose Of Iata Numbers?

Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:04 am

I noticed that a few airlines have IATA numbers. At first I didn't know these existed, but now, that I know, what are these good for?
For e.g.. Air China has 999.
Since these numbers don't go higher then 999, only a few airlines have these then, if you know, that there are 63000 airlines out there.

Thanks for any help

DeltaWings
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

LAXintl

RE: What Is The Purpose Of Iata Numbers?

Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:33 am

Primarily a tracking and numbering system for tickets, bags, cargo etc.

Even non IATA airlines get assigned numbers if they ever plan to interline baggage and cargo, trace lost bags via established computer systems or get paid via the the airline clearing houses.

Many well know airlines have numbers assigned, however are not IATA members, in the US for instance Southwest, JetBlue, AirTran, Midwest Express, Hawaiian Air, Frontier are all non members of IATA. In addition some major airlines like Singapore and Korean Air have only joined in the last few decades, primarily as these airlines refused to take part in the IATA fare pricing requirements of the past.

From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

DeltaWings
Topic Author

RE: What Is The Purpose Of Iata Numbers?

Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:47 am

Southwest, JetBlue, AirTran, Midwest Express, Hawaiian Air, Frontier are all non members of IATA.

If they are non IATA members, howcome they they have IATA arline codes, such as WN for Southwest?

Thanks.
But I have another question regaring country codes. There is the official IATA country code (N for America), but then there is this ITU (= International Telecom Union) code aswell, which designates America with USA, Switzerland with SUI and so on. Where is this used?

DeltaWings
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.