kcrwflyer

T-tail Aircraft Takeoff Angle

Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:39 am

Ive noticed that mose boeing aircraft or wing mounted engined aircraft dont cimb very steeply (except for the 757). on the other hand, almost every md80, dc9, or erj i see takeoff uses a very steep climb angle for about a minute or so. Why is this?

SlamClick

RE: T-tail Aircraft Takeoff Angle

Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:08 pm

I'm going to give you a generalized response here, so approach it with some caution.

We all, all airlines, all types, pretty much take off and climb the same way. We accelerate through the V-speeds and we rotate and take off and then we climb out. The initial climb is usually at the calculated V2 speed plus an additive, let's say, typically maybe plus twenty knots. This puts us pretty close to L/DMAX.

We hold that speed pretty close, until accelerate height, or flap retract height. At that altitude, maybe a thousand feet above the airport, more in some places, we will accelerate through flap retraction and maintain no more than 200 Knots indicated until passing 3000' AGL. Then we will accelerate to no more than 250 knots until reaching 10,000' MSL.

Little variances here or there, but that is pretty close to the deal. Now, the fly each of those speeds requires a very different body angle, or deck angle according to the airplane type. Another factor is thrust/weight ratio and wing loading. So the angles you are seeing are just what is required to fly the profile.

As I say, a generalized response but it should shed some light on this.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

kcrwflyer

RE: T-tail Aircraft Takeoff Angle

Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:08 pm

thanks, the particular planes i see do go out each day with about the same loads so this explains it all.