KingGeo3
Topic Author

Turnover Of A 737 After Return To Creditors

Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:48 am

Hi there all who know much more about airliners than I ever will!

I figure this is a much better forum for this question than GA because:

1. Not nearly as many teenage airline CEOs here

2. You all really tend to know what you are talking about (or at least really seem like you do :-> )

Enough of the butt kissing, here is my question - with all the talk of US going into Chapter 7 and WN wanting to expand in PIT and PHL but needing more planes - how long would it take WN to convert reposessed US 733s assuming that WN has already negotiated terms in the event of US liquidation? Would it be weeks or months?

Thanks,

KG3

edit - Corrected the spelling of the word butt

[Edited 2005-01-13 04:00:45]
Nobody respects me . . . :(

EMBQA

RE: Turnover Of A 737 After Return To Creditors

Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:15 pm

Southwest would most likely pass on any USAirways assets. But the 'what if'... In most cases it takes a month or more per aircraft to convert from airline to airline.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

OPNLguy

RE: Turnover Of A 737 After Return To Creditors

Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:34 pm

I'd have to agree with EMBQA that there's little chance that SWA would acquire (as in "own" or "long-term lease") any USAirways -300s, since they are just as old as SWA's -300s, and with that age comes higher MX expenses.

More reasonable, is the theoretical possibility that SWA could lease some of those old -300s for a year or two, until SWA could convert -700 options to firm orders, and Boeing could build/deliver them. Any used -700s (like the ex-Eastwind and ex-BWIA birds that SWA picked up) would be easily convertible.

Conversion time on the -300s could vary, especially if any of them needed heavy checks in addition to standardizing cockpits, etc. I'd guess that you're looking at 5-6 weeks per aircraft, give or take.

Personally, I don't think it's going to happen. (Now watch them announce a big deal tomorrow, just 'cause I said that...)  Big grin
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.