duke

Kudos For Flight Engineers

Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:10 am

I read today an interesting article in Flight International regarding the DHL A300 that was hit by a missile. From the article, it is evident that while the damage by the missle covered a relatively small area of the wing, the crew just narrowly escaped death by teamwork-based, highly skilled airmanship, and the experienced flight engineer's actions seem to have accounted for a good share of the successful landing. This leads me to open up an old debate - is the demise of Flight Engineers a bad thing? Computers can do a lot, but would it be better if modern all-glass cockpits incorporated a human flight engineer anyway? For example, one fuel tank was blown apart and another leaking, and the FE was very careful with regulating the bleed of the remaining fuel. I can't see how a pre-programmed computer could make similar decisions in an emergency like this. This is just one example of how the crew worked together to land a critically imperilled plane. Could safety be a compelling factor for the return of FEs, especially in the huge A380?

Buzz

RE: Kudos For Flight Engineers

Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:07 pm

Hi Duke, Buzz here. I read an interesting article by Randy Sohn or John Deakin about teaching people to fly the Confederate Air Force's B-29. On that airplane he's the busiest guy up front. It's a seperate rating that deals with aircraft systems.
But the modern airplanes are automated enough so all the routine things can be automated. When it's not routine... i leave it up to your imagination.
g'nite

HAWK21M

RE: Kudos For Flight Engineers

Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:40 pm

The DHL crew of that Aircraft should be Awarded for the Fantastic work done.
 Big thumbs up
Yes Agreed the Computer may not have taken the similiar decisions as the FE.But this was a very rare occasion.Computers are here to stay.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)