HAWK21M
Topic Author

Do Airline Pilots Clean Their Windshield

Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:34 am

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Christian A. Amado - IBERIAN SPOTTERS

The Above Image shows the Commander cleaning the windshield normally done by Mx.Is this common.Although it speaks highly of his professionalism.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Matt D

RE: Do Airline Pilots Clean Their Windshield

Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:40 am

I don't see why he/she wouldn't. I mean if it's his plane and the window is dirty, wouldn't it behoove him/her to clean it for better visibility?

I guess if it depends on the pilot. If he/she is a "go getter", and it needs to be done, it will be done.

If the pilot in question is one of those old-school, walking on water, "it's not my job" types, then you might see a bit of a delay while a ramp, or GA, or whoever fetches a bottle of Windex and a rag.

air2gxs

Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:24 am

I've had pilots just ask me for the stuff to clean the windsheild and I've had others demand that I remove a small spot because it obscures his sight line. It just depends on the pilot.

S12PPL

Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:35 am

Most rampers clean the windsheilds if the pilots ask them to. Most of the time if the pilot is on a quick turn, they are bussy getting the next flight ready to go. Other times the pilots will actually jump outside with the rampers and help do it themselves. Like Air2gxs said, it really depends on the pilot.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

Av8trxx

Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:20 am

I pop the cockpit escape hatch and pour a bottle of water over the windows with the wipers on. Works great! Big grin

MD11Engineer

Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:00 am

I´ve seen pilots cleaning their own windshields and I ´ve seen pilots rather have a delay (which would be blamed on MX), calling a mechanic to come over from the other side of the airport to remove one dead fly.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

av757

Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:38 am

I have done it personally as a pilot of the Boeing 757/767 here at AV.

AV757

DeltaGuy

Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:33 am

I see pilots doing it all the time...slide that window back, grab a few towels from the lav/galley (hell, even saw some beverage napkins being used one time). Any pilot who causes an Mx delay for something as minor as a few flies is just flat out lazy, and that speaks negatively about his professionalism.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

as739x

Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:09 am

Alaska pilots have maintance clean it if they are at a line maintance station. If they are not at on, they do it themselves.

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

boeingfever777

Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:39 am

I would think if its dirty, clean it! I'm sure most pilots do not have time to clean there cabin windows themselves and have maintaince do it for them.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Helmut Bierbaum
View Large View Medium

Photo © Gergely Racz

View Large View Medium

Photo © Laurent Herjean
View Large View Medium

Photo © Anne Deus

Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

ual777contrail

Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:56 am

NO PILOTS DON'T CLEAN THEIR OWN WINDSHIELD.

I have NEVER in 10 years seen a pilot volunteer to clean his own windshield. It may be a European thing, or South American thing, but in our country they don't.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

wbmech

Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:47 am

A majority of pilots will call mx to clean their windshields, while a small minority will do it themselves. Most do have the sense though to call early enough to prevent delays. The best is when they call for a window wash and you ask them to move so that you can lean out the windows and they don't want to get out of their seat.

lincoln

Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:03 pm

A majority of pilots will call mx to clean their windshields, while a small minority will do it themselves. Most do have the sense though to call early enough to prevent delays. The best is when they call for a window wash and you ask them to move so that you can lean out the windows and they don't want to get out of their seat.

I think this answers my question, but just to be sure...When MX is called to do a window washing they do it from inside the aircraft and leaning out a flight deck window as the pilots are pictured doing above?

If that's the case -- and it makes sense since I've never seen a ramper drive by in a bucket truck with a squeege  Smile -- than why bother MX with it? You aren't going to be able to stay in your seat and work anyways...

[Or maybe that's just me and my get-done-now-without-wasting-time-or-bothering-anyone-else attitude. I have been labeled a workaholic at 20 years old.]

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:21 pm

When MX is called to do a window washing they do it from inside the aircraft and leaning out a flight deck window as the pilots are pictured doing above?

Not necessary.Under normal times a Trestle is used from the outside,its only under urgent situations & the Trestle not available,that the Sliding window is used for cleaning the Windshield from Outside.

Out here Ensuring Windshield is clean is a part of the Mx Preflight checklist.
Till date I've never seen a pilot clean his own window.Atleast not the Outside part.
regds
MEL

wnsocal

Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:17 pm

WN pilots clean windshields,cabins,help with w/c on and off the plane and also help the rampers load luggage from time2time! we have the best pilots at WN Smile ...wnsocal
Airline Nut

N867BX

Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:30 pm

Doesn't the fueler do this right before he pops the hood to check the oil? I think that's the way its done at Trans American. Surely Captain Oveur or First Officer Murdock don't do windows.

ha763

Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:07 pm

I have NEVER in 10 years seen a pilot volunteer to clean his own windshield. It may be a European thing, or South American thing, but in our country they don't.

Maybe pilots at UA don't clean their own windows, but pilots at HA and AQ clean their own windows all the time. I've never seen HA or AQ maintenance clean the windows when the aircraft is on the line.

barney captain

Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:39 pm

"I have NEVER in 10 years seen a pilot volunteer to clean his own windshield. It may be a European thing, or South American thing, but in our country they don't."

I'll echo the previous comments by saying, yes, as a matter of fact, I do clean my own windshield thank you. In 13 years of flying for WN, I've probably seen MX take care of it a half of dozen times or so. This was usually done as a friendly "hey, I'm not busy right now, let me get your windows for you" kind of gesture. Of course, if asked, our MX have always been willing to get it for us. Those guys are the best.

By the way Wnsocal, thx  Big grin
Southeast Of Disorder

air2gxs

Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:52 pm

Unless its cleaning the windows on a jumbo, we always use the sliding window to clean the windows. Getting a lift device out, getting the proper fall protection on and traversing the distance in what has to be the slowest class of vehicles every created is a pain. Open the sliding window, lean out, spray and wipe. Easy.

On the jumbo, we try to use the windshield washer system, but some of those bugs are just baked on.

paddy78

Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:07 pm

Never once had a pilot at TW ask me to clean his windshield for him; they just asked me for the bottle.

Never once had a pilot at AA ask me to clean his windshield for him; they just ordered me to do it.

No hard feelings native AAers out there; just a fact guys. Think it has to do with the culture you work in.
Only amatures need the handles sticking out.

fdxgirl

Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:51 pm

wont the water or whatever they use freeze up on the windshield?

Skyway1

Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:24 pm

Yep...I've had to clean the Saab windows a couple of times.....mainly in the summer when the bugs are terrible.

Chris
KNUK, KNUK, KNUK woowoowoo

LMP737

Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:36 pm

UAL777Contrail:

Funny you should say that. On vacation to Oahu I saw a AA DC-10 captain lean out his sideview and clean his windshield. Guess UAL pilots NEVER clean their own windshields.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Cactus739

Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:37 am

So, how often do they need cleaned on average would you say?

It seems like I'm cleaning my windshield in my car every couple of days lately...
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

allstarflyer

Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:44 am

Yeah, not sure what UA777Contrail is trying to convey(like pilots in the US shouldn't have to do that). In ORD, even though it's just measly ol' UX, I saw some ACA CA's come into Ops asking for some cleaner for a bugwash, just to help out, and at Air Whiskey, the pilots would open the window on the 146's(often just to be handed the release) occasionally to wipe down the glass.

-R
Living the American Dream

cancidas

Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:51 am

i've yet to see a pilot clean thier own windscreen in this country, at least in commercial aviation. commercial pilots have the support of a catering/utility department and get them to do it. we general aviation pilots are left to do it ourselves. most FBOs will also have thier ramp rats clean them on all corporate a/c they have visiting.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

Av8

Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:58 am

I think a lot of corporate places have policies against having FBO line workers wash their windshields. If Im not mistaken, a window in a jet aircraft can cost upwards of 10-15 thousand. For that reason, I think many companies prefer that their trained employees are the only ones touching their windows.

FlyMeToTheMoon

Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:24 am

I was under the impression that when they stop at traffic lights (or hold on a taxiway) little people pop up from the ground with a bucket and a squeege and ask the captain if he wants his windows washed. Need to pay them well though, otherwise they throw dirt at the plane and they all end up looking like AF's planes.

Just kidding - some people do but as an exception not a rule! But is it is not anyone that washes the windows - due to the scratch and damage potential people are trained to wash airplane windshields.
Fly me to the moon... but not through LHR!

northwestair

Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:03 am

I think it depends on which Station your at. Sometimes it might be a Union Issue were if it's the MX employee that is suppose to clean the windows then MX has to be called or the Pilot can get in trouble. In OKC XJ usually cleans their own windows. I know it's not their Job, but also if he or she ask me to clean them I don't mind either it only takes a couple of Mins if that long at all.
I don't care who you fly just as long as you fly

SlamClick

Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:35 am

Throughout my career it's been my observation that pilots would do whatever was needed to make the operation work.

I've cleaned any number of windshields myself. Cancidas I can tell you for sure that USAirways pilots will, if needed, clean it. Every US pilot I've flown with will go through the cabin after the cabin cleaners have been through picking up the rest of the trash. I've never heard one of them refuse to clean a windshield.

It is a complicated issue. I'd say that any airline where NO PILOT would ever clean a windshield well, that airline will no longer be with us in a few years. Any airline where you have to have an A&P Mechanic's license to clean a windshield - that airline will not be with us in a few years. Any airline that pays cabin cleaners $45K a year - that airline will not be with us in a few years.

I hit a large bird one night on a charter flight. It covered the F/O's windshield. At the next stop he got a bucket and some cleaning supplies and did his duty.

I'll do it, but if the people we have on the payroll for that purpose won't do it, I'll want to know why.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

2H4

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:02 am

NO PILOTS DON'T CLEAN THEIR OWN WINDSHIELD.

Wow, what a great example of how corporate culture can make or break an airline. When I was working at WN, I witnessed many pilots helping with tasks that pilots from other airlines would consider demeaning and far below them.

The really cool thing is, that sense of responsibility is shared by....literally....almost every single other WN employee.

In flight ops, we saved and re-used paper clips. One chief pilot had a reserved parking spot way up front next to the building, but never used it. Instead, he parked out by the fence on the outskirts of the lot, making a statement that he's no more important than any other employee there. On 9-11, I stayed very late, calling every hotel I could and documenting the location of stranded flight crews. Despite the long, tedious hours, I, like most others based at headquarters, refused to accept payment for working that day.

In fact, while employees at other airlines were on the phone to their respective unions and threatening action against management if layoffs occured, WN folks were clogging the phone lines to management, asking how they could donate money to the airline. Management strongly resisted at first, but after a week of relentless inquiries, finally caved and let employees help. I remember hearing over $1 million was raised.

Wnsocal said WN has the best pilots. He's right, of course, but he sold himself short.

WN has the best People. Period.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

VC-10

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:19 am

I ´ve seen pilots rather have a delay (which would be blamed on MX), calling a mechanic to come over from the other side of the airport to remove one dead fly

It wouldn't if I was on shift, it would be a code 65 - Crew request.

flyer737sw

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:21 am

If the windscreen is dirty why not...I have seen pilots take water from the galley and use napkins to wipe the windscreen...Not a uncommon thing...

Kevin

A/c train

Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:00 am

We mix up our own '' bug off '' as we call it, 25% Iso propyl alcohol, 75% water, grab a rag from the van and away you go!
Its on the daily inspection worksheet to clean the cockpit windows, cant remember seeing it on a PFI, never really carry the PFI checklist around with me very often if ever, if there dirty on turnround, use your head, dont give the crew a chance to pick fault.

bsergonomics

Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:19 am

It reminds me of that list of defect reports that I got on email about 10 years ago:

Pilot report: Dead bugs on windshield.
Mech response: Live bugs on order.

PS., if anyone still has a copy of that list, I'd love to see it again... along with the Officer Fitness Reports etc...
The definition of a 'Pessimist': an Optimist with experience...

SlamClick

Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:02 am

Oh, one last answer to the thread question; yes. We often will try to fly through an isolated rain shower because that does a rather good job of washing the bugs off.

QantasPilot

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:17 pm

I clean my windshield, it's no biggie  Smile

and to Bsergonomics,
Here's that list you wanted:

P stands for the problem the pilots entered in the
log, and S stands for the corrective action taken by
the mechanics.

P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
S: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

P: Test flight OK, except autoland very rough.
S: Autoland not installed on this aircraft.

P: Something loose in cockpit.
S: Something tightened in cockpit.

P: Dead bugs on windshield.
S: Live bugs on backorder.

P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200-fpm
descent.
S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
S: Evidence removed.

P: DME volume unbelievably loud.
S: DME volume set to more believable level.

P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
S: That's what they're there for!

P: IFF inoperative.
S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

P: Suspected crack in windscreen.
S: Suspect you're right.

P: Number 3 engine missing. (note: this was for a
piston-engined airplane; the pilot meant the engine
was not running smoothly)
S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

P: Aircraft handles funny.
S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be
serious.

P: Radar hums.
S: Reprogrammed radar with words.

P: Mouse in cockpit.
S: Cat installed.

QantasPilot

gkirk

Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:06 pm

P: Mouse in cockpit.
S: Cat installed.

ROFLMAO  Big thumbs up
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:01 am

Nice Snags + Rectification.
regds
MEL

SlamClick

Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:12 am

On one mission in Vietnam I was scheduled to fly with the unit maintenance officer. When we got out to the airfield and saw which plane we were assigned he told me that he'd flown it last week and it was filthy.

We get to the plane and he looks in the logbook. Sure enough, on a previous page is his writeup:

"Crumbs in cockpit"
and the signoff
"Installed bird"

He did not crack a smile until after he'd chewed out the crewchief.

MD11Engineer

Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:43 am

I once had a write up
"Big bug in F/O´s map light lens". I was tempted to write "Installed Spider, now ok", but in the end opened the light and removed the offending bug.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:54 pm

Its Tempting to write those Rectifications  Smile
But I guess officially can't ink that.
regds
MEL

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:11 pm

I've heard that on the Earlier Windshields that used the Rain Repellant system.The repellant could be removed with Coke.
Has anyone experienced that.
regds
MEL

IFixPlanes

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:31 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 40):
I've heard that on the Earlier Windshields that used the Rain Repellant system.The repellant could be removed with Coke.

Yes, you are right. But diet coke does not work.

Ingo
never tell an engineer he is wrong ;-)

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:26 pm

Quoting IFixPlanes (Reply 41):

Whats the missing Ingredient.
regds
MEL

Starlionblue

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:50 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 42):
Quoting IFixPlanes (Reply 41):

Whats the missing Ingredient.
regds
MEL

Taste...
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

troubleshooter

Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:30 am

On CRJs the crew always calls out maintenance for window cleaning. There is no side window to open. And the side window opening on ERJs is to small for them. So we have to do the job.
This job sucks!!! I love this job!!!

amtrosie

Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:16 am

LOL,

Good one Starlionblue but there aren't enough calories to do #@$#@...

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:56 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 43):
Taste...

That means something which makes normal coke more tastier over Diet coke has the chemicals to wipe out stained repellant on Windshields. Think about it  Smile
regds
MEL

curlyheadboy

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:06 pm

Quoting QantasPilot (Reply 34):
P: Test flight OK, except autoland very rough.
S: Autoland not installed on this aircraft.

Ouch! That must have hurt!  ouch   Wink
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...