powerofpi

Frankfurt Area Approach Frequencies

Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:18 am

Hello all,
I just purchased a scanner and was wondering where I can obtain some approach control frequencies and departure frequencies for Frankfurt International Airport. I don't have access to any charts. I would specifically love to pick up the approach of UAL 901 or LH 455 as I have flown on these flights many times from my home in SFO... any ideas where I could obtain this stuff? thanks

LHSebi

RE: Frankfurt Area Approach Frequencies

Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:05 am

Hi,
I would just look around the internet...I am sure they are written somewhere on a spotter's site. Just a word of warning though: it's ILLEGAL to listen to ATC in Germany!

Sebastian
I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning.

powerofpi

Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:12 am

REALLY!?!?!?! wow, that's too bad :-(

airbusA346

Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:54 am

Sebastian, why is it illegal to listen to ATC in Germany.

Tom
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

LHSebi

Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:48 am

Tom,
I believe it has something to do with privacy laws. Supposedly, since those ATC conversations are technically not directed at you, but the tower/radar/aircraft/etc, you are not authorised to hear it. For that same reason, it is LEGAL to listen to ATIS, since that is sent out for the benefit of everyone. It's very strange. Some people argue that if the ATC conversations were supposed to be only for the pilots, they should use some sort of encryption or something so that "commoners" can't hear it. However the law is the law. It can be compared here to listening in to someone's private telephone conversation, or opening someone else's mail.

On a side note, I have heard of people at airports being relatively lenient on this subject. I heard they will either just let you listen, or tell you to turn it off...not arrest you! However don't count on it!

Sebastian
I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning.