KAUST
Topic Author

Prop Plane Run-Up While Taxiing?

Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:46 pm

Greetings!
I once took a flight with a CFI out of AUS (great pilot by the way!) and in a Cessna 150 (or 152.) He did the engine run-up during the taxi on the taxi-way parellel to the runway.

Is this typical? I had always though (as was always happened this way), you did the run-up either at the hold-short or in a designated pad at the runway end.

One thing I can think of is at AUS this particular taxi-way (Bravo, parellel to 17L/35R...we used to 17L, taxiing from the Trajen ramp), intersects a cross-taxi-way that an AA Mad Dog was using to pull in front of us. Perhaps we had a better chance of slipping onto the runway before them if we were ready by the time we got to the runway entrance?

Thanks -
KAUST
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

320tech

RE: Prop Plane Run-Up While Taxiing?

Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:22 pm

Just a way to save a bit of time on the ground. I used to do this, in the days when I had less money.
The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the manufacturer and impossible for the AME.

HaveBlue

Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:25 pm

Yeah, I've seen pilots do this to save time and money. Personally I prefer to do the runup on the ramp, or if that isn't practical at a hold area or while waiting in line (at DAB there is always a line), but never on the go.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

AirWillie6475

Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:43 pm

Engine run-up is very important and it shouldn't be done quickly so you can be the first on take off. Secondly how can he do a run-up while taxing? You have to advance the throttle to around 1800 rpm in a normal run-up.

It should be done at the designated area and it should be done at the same place always. My intructor has taught me to be repetitive in checklist items because when you break that repetition you might forget something.

Your CFI did something that was not wise. Because he did the run-up while taxing once he got up to the runway he could have forgotten checklist items like turning on the lights or the transponder or maybe flaps.

futureualpilot

Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:10 pm

AirWIllie,

Rolling run ups are ok to do, but it is better to stop and do them. When you throttle up you stay on the brakes....it is hard on them but it works. Sometimes its done as a time saver, others a fuel saver.

As long as you ensure you hit every checklist item, its ok to do, except being hard on the brakes.
Life is better when you surf.

HAWK21M

Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:06 am

Depends on the Check being carried out on the Runup.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

fspilot747

Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:08 am

I've done it on occasion at really busy airports. Saves time. If you're proficient at it, it's a piece of cake. But like I said, I've only done it at times when, like at SNA, I've had to wait 15 minutes during bank time just to get to the taxiway. Otherwise I just go to the runup area. Nothing wrong with it. In fact I learned it from an Airline pilot/former Chief CFI when we went on a 172 joyride.

FSP

N766UA

Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:06 pm

I'd personally never do it while taxiing. The runup has it's own spot on the checklist and is in itself very important. To do it while taxiing screws up the order of the checklist and obviously takes away from the concentration involved. I'd say it's best to do it while stopped on the pad and, except in maybe a few circumstances, I wouldn't advise doing it on the move.
This Website Censors Me

Arch89U

Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:40 pm

I'm very curious as to what all of you with the opinion that you must stop when doing a runup would do if you ever flew a skiplane or seaplane.

undehoulli

Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:53 pm

As a CFI myself I can say that often times we're pressed for time, especially at a busy airport. I can't say that I'd ever teach a student, especially a primary student, to do a rolling runup. I can see an early learner having a difficult time controlling the airplane while it taxis, as they hold the brakes, check the mags, carb heat, etc...

I have done it with my instructor a couple of times when I was doing my instrument training. One time we were taxiing to the runway in STP and on this busy evening, we elected to do the runup and prop check during the taxi. It was nice to have two people, he taxied and I performed the runup. If I am with a student who is in the more advanced stages of training I think I'd do it to save time. It might be a bit hard on the brakes and could be dangerous (but if we accept the risk and take measures to reduce/eliminate the dangerous possible outcomes), and with two pilots at the controls I don't think that it would be a problem. On a regular basis though - I don't think so. Imagine going for a checkride and doing your runup rolling - the inspector/examiner might s&it themselves!
Weather Modification Rocks!!!

KAUST
Topic Author

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:06 pm

Thanks for the replies! It did seem quite odd to do a run-up in taxi (as I believe most of you had mentioned.) I had also wondered, would it not be wise to do this method in a plane as light as a Cessna 150(2) as to not risk getting airborne on the taxi-way? Also, we had just as much chance taking off before the Super 80 if we did a run-up on the hold-short, as it would be more convenient as far as wake turbulence goes?

Thanks again -
KAUST
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

goboeing

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:13 pm

Some people were doing rolling runups in Piper Seminoles at my school and it was observed by some instructors that the breaks were being written up for not working properly about every three times a rolling runup was performed. Then someone taxiied out behind one that was running up while moving and actually saw sparks coming off of the wheels. I wouldn't do one anymore and they are not permitted unless we would be causing a disruption at some place like BOS.

Nick

SATL382G

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:20 pm

Another factor to consider is that some airports require you to do the runup on the runup pad for noise abatement.
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

sllevin

Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:06 pm

I've done my fair share of rollers, especially if it's the second or third leg of the trip. It does take a bit more brake, but, OTOH, it also means less ground time, and for the most part, ground time (especially in hot climates) is tough on the engines.

I'd never counsel a pilot with limited experience to do it. But once you've got a couple thousand hours, and 500+ make/model, I don't see an issue...assuming no one is right behind you!  Smile

Steve