FlyMKG
Topic Author

Current Operational Microwave Landing Systems

Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:48 pm

Tonight I was going through my Instrument Procedues Handbook when I came across an MLS approach. I understand how the approach works and why it was killed off and everything, but I still have some questions. Was the equipment needed in the plane similiar to the standard VOR receiver with a glideslope and localizer? Also, can anybody provide a complete list of all operational MLS systems in the United States?

FlyMKG
Essential Power, Operating Generator.

APFPilot1985

RE: Current Operational Microwave Landing Systems

Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:44 pm

I know that in Florida the Space Shuttle Landing Site has one operational.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

Dalmd88

Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:58 pm

I think the only operational MLS systems are military. I've only seen them installed in military aircraft. I think they are used mostly on a temp basis. They can set one up at an airfield rather quickly I think. The system has a antenna, a receiver box and the ones I'm familiar with used the same radio control unit and flight director.

Woodreau

Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:07 pm

I'm aware of one into Chicago O'Hare, MLS 4 or something like that, but there aren't too many of these things floating around and I doubt very many aircraft have the avionics to fly one.

Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Jetmech55

Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:53 pm

I know on some C-130s that I have worked on, the MLS consisted of 4 antennas, a receiver, associated wiring and relays. The processed signal was sent to the fight director mode selector switch so that the pilot could select it for display on his ADI. The MLS is still being installed in some tactical cargo aircraft.