KAUST
Topic Author

College Degree Required For A/C Mechanics?

Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:56 am

Just out of curiosity, is aircraft mechanics/maintanence something that needs a college degree, or is there on the job training/apprenticeship that can count for that?

Thanks -
KAUST
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

corey07850

RE: College Degree Required For A/C Mechanics?

Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:19 am

I believe most Mech's just go to a trade school type place, although it seems more places are offering at least associate's degrees in Aviation Maint. Tech. You can imagine as with any aviation job, that the more tool's you have in your belt the better off you are, especially as the industry gets more competitive.

LMP737

Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:13 am

An A&P license can be considered an associtates degree. It takes a little over two years to get on if you go the traditional route. There are other ways to get on as well. If you have military experience for example you can go to your local FSDO and have them sign off on you. This allows you to take the written, oral and practical exam. This is what I did for my powerplant license.

For anyone wanting to pursue a career in aviation maintenance first I would advise against it. However if this does not deter you I recommend getting a bachelors degree so you have something to fall back on.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

air2gxs

Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:48 am

The A&P will count towards an associate's degree (or bachelor's) if you go to a school that offers the curriculum. The A&P it and of itself is not enough for an associate's degree. I believe I received 33 credits towards my bachelor's when I went back to school.

L-188

Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:37 am

No you don't need a college degree to get an A&P.

Apprenticships, Military experience and a trade school can get you it...if that is what you want to do.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

dmeservices

Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:14 pm

As stated above a college degree is not required, but I do believe if you ever want to progress of the floor into management a degree would be helpful. For the requirements to become a certified mechanic you can go to www.dmeservices.com/wst_page4.html. Hope this helps.

KAUST
Topic Author

Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:03 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I had been off and on (for the longest time really) been considering moving to Galveston and volunteering at the Lone Star Flight Museum and working my way up mechanic's apprentice. I have been told by them this is something they could possibly do for me, though it may take a while longer than going the school route.

I really have no desire to be in management, I just love being around aircraft, and I am starting to come to the realization that unless I do something about the urge to be around them all the time, I will lose my marbles.  Nuts

KAUST
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

amtrosie

Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:09 pm

If you want to be around aircraft all the time, consider all of your marbles lost... totally. Don't ever smell the jet exhaust fumes or you will be under the influence for the duration (your life)

HAWK21M

Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:24 pm

Out here its optional.
Min qualification is HSC pass,followed by a Dip in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering [3-4 yr course,reduced with mechanical/electrical Deg/Dip] with 80% pass.
Thereafter to gain an Basic Aircraft Maintenance Engineers licence endorsement requires clearing of DGCA related AME licence Examination papers [min 4,pass 80%].
Thereafter attending Approved training course/Type paper on model with 80% pass to qualify as Asst AME.
Finally satisfy DGCA Officials in Oral,Practical Interview to get Endorsement as Aircraft Maintenance Engineer.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Santhosh

Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:18 pm

MEL

Is it necessary to go for AME Endorsment for those who have Degree in Engineering or are there any training program for those who have a Degree in Mechanical Engineering.If one must do AME Endorsment Just confirm that one need 80% + in (Mechanical Engg) Degree to get entry for Basic Aircraft Maintenance Engineers licence endorsement.

Regards,
George
Happy Landings :)

air2gxs

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:05 pm

In the US, an engineering degree does not count very much towards the A&P. You may be able to get credit towards some of the math & science behind the A& P, but not much. That is of course assuming you're attending a college that has an A&P program versus a trade school that does not issue a degree.

Santhosh

Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:40 am

Air2gxs- Things might be slightly different here in India but thanx for your advice sir.

Thanx
George

HAWK21M

Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:32 pm

George.....
To add to the Phone conversation we had yesterday.
http://dgca.nic.in/ftppub/D2l-l1.html
http://dgca.nic.in/ftppub/D2l-l12.html
My Sugesstion would be if you have min 6-7 years to spare,Go for it.But Indian Aviation is not as big as other places.
regds
MEL

Santhosh

Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:18 pm

MEL- Thanx for the infro.Sad to know about the situations here in India but will it be ok to try doing AME abroad after getting a degree in Engineering?

George

HAWK21M

Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:12 pm

I wouldn't want to comment on the Abroad situation,maybe someone more Practically related to the subject abroad could.
But Some Friends have done their FAA Exams,The sytem is similiar & Faster.Theory I found more easy abroad,but very vast practical Exposure too.
The Rules & Regulations part will vary too.
Job opportunities are def better than out here.
Although this year there is a great demand in India of Technical persons,But it wont last forever.
regds
MEL