EZEIZA
Topic Author

CAT I, CAT II, Can Someone Explain?

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I know that Argentina is still on CAT II but that it should be getting CAT I status again pretty soon. Here's my question, how does it work? What exactly is the CAT and on what basis is it enforced? What kind od parameters will make a country go to CAT II and how can they get back to CAT I? Honestly I don't know how it works so any help will be appreciated.

regards
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

coa764

RE: CAT I, CAT II, Can Someone Explain?

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:08 pm

It is the Category of approach in regards to the landing minimums your airport in question. Actually, you want the CAT 2 approach. Not sure what city your referring to so I picked SFO to give the example.

28R CAT 1 mins are 200 ft ceiling 1/2 or 1800 RVR
28R CAT 2 mins are RA 113 .. 1200 RVR
28R CAT 3B mins 600 RVR

So the higher category you get the less restrictive your landing minimums are verses the current weather at your time of approach. If they are going back to CAT 1 then the runway in question has lost one of the components that allow it the reduced landing minimums of a Category 2 approach.

[Edited 2005-02-18 05:10:56]
Please oh please Mr Moderator Nazi, dont delete my thread.

OPNLguy

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:48 pm

I don't think he's referring to CAT I/II/III operating minima, as if so, why would Argentina still be on CAT II but going after CAT I? When it comes to landing minimums, it's the other way around... (CAT-I good, CAT-II better, CAT-III best).  Big grin

I think he's referring to the FAA's safety/security/whatever rankings...

The FAA has established three ratings for the status of these civil aviation authorities at the time of the assessment: (1) does comply with ICAO standards, (2) conditional and (3) does not comply with ICAO standards.

·Category I, Does Comply with ICAO Standards: A civil aviation authority has been assessed by FAA inspectors and has been found to license and oversee air carriers in accordance with ICAO aviation safety standards.

·Category II, Conditional: A civil aviation authority in which FAA inspectors found areas that did not meet ICAO aviation safety standards and the FAA is negotiating actively with the authority to implement corrective measures. During these negotiations, limited operations by the foreign air carriers to the U.S. are permitted under heightened FAA operations inspections and surveillance.

· Category III, Does Not Comply with ICAO Standards: A civil aviation authority found not to meet ICAO standards for aviation oversight. Unacceptable ratings apply if the civil aviation authority has not developed or implemented laws or regulations in accordance with ICAO standards; if it lacks the technical expertise or resources to license or oversee civil aviation; if it lacks the flight operations capability to certify, oversee and enforce air carrier operations requirements; if it lacks the aircraft maintenance capability to certify, oversee and enforce air carrier maintenance requirements; or if it lacks appropriately trained inspector personnel required by ICAO standards. Operations to the U.S. by a carrier from a country that has received a Category III rating are not permitted unless the country arranges to have its flights conducted by a duly authorized and properly supervised air carrier appropriately certified from a country meeting international aviation safety standards.

[Edited 2005-02-18 08:06:25]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

BOEING787

Cat II Cat III

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:24 pm

These guys could help:

http://www.amaindia.com

EZEIZA
Topic Author

Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:23 am

Thanx for the replies. Coa764, as OPNLLguy said, I was asking about the FAA "ranking". But thanx anyway because I learned another thing which I did'nt know  Big thumbs up
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

Starlionblue

Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:33 am

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

411A

Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:21 pm

There are only two categories now, 1 and 2.

1> fully in compliance.
2> not in compliance.

Once a country slips into category two, climbing out of the hole in which they now find themselves, can prove difficult and rather time comsuming.