CRJ200Mechanic
Topic Author

Hamburger Door

Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:47 pm

I have seen some A/C around that have a door below the pilots windscreen and found out that it is called a Hamburger door. Can anyone tell me what it is for? I do not remember what A/C I saw it on. It was a smaller jet about a 30 seater
Always remember the responsibilies you hold with an A&P license

Tiger119

RE: Hamburger Door

Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:59 pm

Quoting CRJ200Mechanic (reply 0):
I have seen some A/C around that have a door below the pilots windscreen and found out that it is called a Hamburger door. Can anyone tell me what it is for? I do not remember what A/C I saw it on.

- I know on the Saab340 they use that hatch to pass paperwork back and forth between the captain and the ground crew (weight estimates, etc). I would imagine it is probably the same for most aircraft. I have never heard it called the Hamburger door. Where did you hear that?
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

CRJ200Mechanic
Topic Author

Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:01 pm

Quoting Tiger119 (reply 1):
I have never heard it called the Hamburger door. Where did you hear that?

I heard it from a ramp agent. It may have just been what they called it

Mr Spaceman

Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:45 pm

Hi guys.

You can see the "Hamburger Door" open a bit under the Captain's left side windscreen in this photo of a Saab 340.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Warren Williams

"I'd like some large fries with that please!"

Chris  Smile

[Edited 2005-02-23 10:45:39]
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

CRJ200Mechanic
Topic Author

Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:58 pm

Mr. Spaceman

Do you know if its actually called the hamburger door? I'm sure there has to be a technical term for it

Mr Spaceman

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:20 pm

Hello CRJ200Mechanic.

I'm not sure? It could be. Obviously it's just a nickname that's used on the ramp, and different ramps & airlines probably have different nicknames for that little door.

I ask about that little door in a topic I started over a year ago. There were some good replies with different names for that door, and I posted a cool photo of a Captain waving his hand at the camera through that door, but, do you think I can find the thread or photo??? NO!!!  Pissed

Anyhow, as Tiger119 mentioned, the door is for passing last minute paperwork without having to open the main cabin door.

Chris  Smile
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

CRJ200Mechanic
Topic Author

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:53 pm

Thanks for the help. That's kinda what I figured it was for. Just wanted some reassurance. I did a topic search to see if this had been discussed before and didn't find anything. I hope I don't upset anyone

troubleshooter

Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:46 pm

ATR´s have these "hamburger doors", too. I believe they are called document doors. You can see it on the picture below, located between the left side window and the AOA vane.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jakub Michalak

This job sucks!!! I love this job!!!

airplay

Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:45 pm

On the SAAB 340, that door is often (affectionately) known as the "whiskey" door. It allows the ground crew to pass a bottle up to the pilots....

Smile

Seriously though, its just a paperwork door. The term "hamburger door" was (again affectionately) used for the mail door on the DC-3.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Allan Martins Antunes

As you can imagine, anyone climbing out of this door while the engines are running can be quickly converted to hamburger.

I really don't see how the little documents doors can be compared to the original "hamburger door". Unless of course the pilot is hungry!

One other airplane that comes to mind in this dicussion is the Britten Norman Islander.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vladimir Kostritsa

The pilot's door becomes a "hamburger door" with the engines running. The magnetos on the left engines are actually deactivated by an interlock on the door so it shuts down if the door is opened.

[Edited 2005-02-23 14:46:40]

FredT

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:39 am

Officially, we call it the "MESSAGE DOOR PILOT-GROUND CREW".

Unofficially it's the whiskey door. 'Hamburger door' must be a take-over attempt by the PC mob.
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

SlamClick

Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:34 am

Well it is just too bad the hamburger door was not around for the DC-9. It would have gone well with the sugar scoop, porkchops and pickle switches.

The MU-2 also had one. Small plug door down by the pilot's elbow.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Europix

From outside - open. Small opening just below pilot's window.
Couldn't find a shot of it from inside.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:30 am

Always heard it called the whiskey hatch... I think I kinda like hamburger door better.  Smile

Mesaba used to crank both engines and have them in feather on the saabs while they waited for the load data to be handed through the hatch. There was an incident at an outstation where the paper work got blown out of the rampers hand, she reached for it and (luckily this was all that happened) lost one or two of her fingers in the feathered prop that was rotating. Now you can see where they have #2 operating and wait for the paperwork to be handed through the hatch with the rampers clear of the airplane to fire up #1.
Chicks dig winglets.

avt007

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:37 am

The first one I saw was on the Dornier 328. I thought it was a pretty good idea!

APFPilot1985

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:51 am

AFAIK, the hamburger door has always referred to the DC-3's door right in front of the engine. At least thats what i was always told by maintenance at PBA when i was growing up
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

CRJ200Mechanic
Topic Author

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:44 pm

Quoting Avt007 (reply 12):
on the Dornier 328

That's what I saw it on! I couldn't think of the name to that damn airplane to save my life

HAWK21M

Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:32 pm

Hamburger door  Big thumbs up
I wonder what the MM calls it.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

A10WARTHOG

Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:47 pm

On the 328 if I recall correctly the AMM calls it is a communication door or document door. I maybe wrong, it has been a while since I have looked at a 328 AMM.

SlamClick

Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:18 am

I always heard the one on the DC-3 called a "mail door" as that is where the mail sacks went aboard. There was a compartment between the forward bulkhead of the passenger cabin and the flight deck where they were stored for flight.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Chandler

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

undehoulli

Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:16 am

I think I remember a Mesaba pilot telling me that it's called the "Whiskey Slot" or something like that. Not too sure, It was a few years ago. Any XJ pilots able to elaborate?
Weather Modification Rocks!!!

MD11Engineer

Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:59 am

Ok, it´s years ago since I worked on a DC-3 (actually a C-47). Entering through this mail door, you´ll have the cockpit rear bulkhead to the right (front) and the electrical distribution panel with the C/Bs to the left (aft). Across the aisle is the hydraulics cabinet with the hydraulics resevoir. On our ex-military C-47, going aft you had two small rooms left and right of the aisle, the radio operator´s cabinet on the right, if I remember correctly and the navigator´s cabinet on the other side., the going aft, you´d pass a door in a bulkhead and stand in the passenger/cargo area (our plane was fitted fotparatroopers, with a steel cable for the static lines of the parachutes under the ceiling and folding canvas benches left and right).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

amtrosie

Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:27 am

ATR's called it a "document door". When I was working regionals we had this one kid who could always be found sleeping in the left seat around 04:00. I desperately wanted to find one of those "canned" air horns and put it in the window and let it rip..... That would have been worth every bit of damage incured, to witness the aftermath.

PPGMD

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:13 am

Quoting FredT (reply 9):
Unofficially it's the whiskey door. 'Hamburger door' must be a take-over attempt by the PC mob.

Well as it was explained to me, by an old guy working to recondition a DC-3, anyone that tried to exit the door would become hamburger by the prop.

*shrugs* Didn't seem like a PC renaming to me, but what do I know?
At worst, you screw up and die.

HAWK21M

Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:07 pm

Does the ATR-72 have Sliding Cockpit Windows.
If so,Why the "Document" door.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

ThePinnacleKid

Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:17 pm

Back in the day when I was at American Eagle, we always referred to them as the "whiskey hatch" and you guys are correct in the fact it is both on the SF340s and ATR's... always would use them to pass our final load counts up to the flight deck so they could do the CG... then pre departure the infamous hand would stick out the side after they gave "remove chock" sign and we would get their final papers back and off they went... Same type of thing went on at Express Airlines I, (Pinnacle) back when I started in '01 when we still had 30+ SF340s crop dustin' the southern US.

Rumor that went along with the term "whiskey hatch" was that the term came from the early pioneering days of flying with the airlines on the CAM routes.. when getting there was more luck than skill... it went something to the affect that right before they would embark on their flight they would down a quick shot of whiskey, strap in, and go... so, it just kinda stuck...and that's the hatch where that final shot of "whiskey" is passed to the crew right before their departure... (just the rumor mill they told us to explain where term came from, anyone can elaborate or know more go for it)

-Chris
"Sonny, did we land? or were we shot down?"

411A

Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:52 pm

Some older piston transport aircraft had various hatches and 'doors' that acquired odd names.

One type in particular comes to mind.
On the Convair 340/440 series, on top on the engine nacelle, was the engine accessory section vent.
This vent had a spring loaded door which, when the respective engine fire pull handle was pulled, among several other actions that occured at the same time, the accessory vent door was quickly closed, due to spring/lever action.

The slang term for this door was...whacker-dacker door.

Strange...but true.