miami1

'Tankering'

Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:06 pm

What does the term 'tankering' mean in regards to fuel?

Thanks in advance!

pilotpip

RE: 'Tankering'

Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:15 pm

Fuel tankering is basically carrying more than you need. Aircraft will do this for a number of reasons. The main ones that I can think of are:

1) Higher fuel costs at the next stop.
2) Availability of fuel at the next stop (FBO closed)
3) Faster turn time

My FBO has one of the lowest Jet A prices in the country so we see this quite often. Crews will top off a plane or take as much as they can because their next stop has much higher fuel prices. The price difference has to be enough to offset the added fuel burn that you'll have from being heavier in this case.
DMI

miami1

Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:19 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Would the above include carrying enough for both the outward and return journey?

Goldenshield

Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:47 pm

The amount tankered depends on the several factors. These often include factors such as fuel price, payload, and cost factor.

Many times, the price will not be high enough to warrant takering fuel. Sometimes the price is so high that we end up tankering in as much as we can for a roundtrip, payload permitting. I've often done multiple leg tankering on round-robins, which, while increasing the fuel burn on the first and second legs, it still ended up way less than the cost to buy it at the stop.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

OPNLguy

Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:40 am

Most airlines have comuter programs associated with their flight planning system that look at systemwide fuel prices, trip length, etc. and quickly determine whether it's economically feasible to tanker fuel on a flight.

A few weeks ago, I had two flights, one CLE-BNA-LAS, and the other CLE-MDW-LAS. The payloads out of CLE were such that I could tanker through BNA, and MDW, and fuel all the way to LAS. Doing so saved $310 on one flight and $550 on the other. If the payloads out of CLE had been higher and precluded my tankering the optimum amount, I still could have taken some, and the savings would have been less, but still "something."
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

miami1

Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:02 am

Thanks heaps for your replies, guys!

undies737

Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:39 am

we (military) will generally "tanker" on short hops (ie:syd-newcastle/bris ruturn) or going to non-military airports due to civilian AVTUR (F35) not having FSII-fuel.sys.icing.inhibitor in their fuel (AVTUR+FSII:F34).