videns

Questions About Airline Pilot Discrimination

Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:32 pm

I searched the forum and couldn't find anything about this...
The question is mostly geared towards airline pilots.
How much discrimination have you noticed in the cockpit?
I see that most pilots (where I normally go to) are white males...
And my question goes to EVERYBODY who flies an airliner.
How much discrimination or "looking down on" is going on in today's cockpit? (Be it male-female war, sexual orientation, race, religion, or whatever...)
Any comments on this?
(I work with somebody who's got a PPL and says that he/she saw a lot of that sort of thing when he/she got the license, and I'm wondering how close or open minded the business is about those things...)

Any comments appreciated,
v
Travel? Why would i travel if I can watch it on TV?

411A

RE: Questions About Airline Pilot Discrimination

Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:55 pm

Well, I personally have never noticed any type of 'discrimination' that you have mentioned...and I have worked for several foreign (ie: non-US) airlines, with many different nationalities involved.

And, as far as the ladies are concerned, I have operated with several female First Officers, and they did a fine job...certainly no different than their male counterparts.

caboclo

Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:58 pm

You'll always have a few jerks, but I think the days of widepsread discrimination are almost over in the US. I personally have flown with girls, foreigners, and folks who didn't share my religious beliefs, no big deal. I think the biggest reason we don't see more variety in the cockpit is money. Without getting into a detailed socio-economic debate, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Somehow, the whites have managed to become the richest ethnic group, therefore they will dominate the job markets which require expensive training.
Freight dogs have more fun

KAUSpilot

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:17 pm

Well, I've flown with members of different ethnicities/relgions and the interaction is really no different in any way than flying with someone who I share a ethnic common background with. The duties are the same and the small talk is mostly the same.

Flying with women is a bigger difference, but still not all that great. Some women seem to have something to prove, which can be a bit difficult to handle. Realisitcally, you will get diverse personalities regardless of race, religion, or sex so to try and paint people with a broad brush just doesn't work.

The only "discrimination" I've witnessed is a ramper calling a female captain "sir" by mistake. She just thought it was pretty funny.