jcavinato

Brand New Planes

Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:58 am

When we buy a car it often has only five or six miles on it. Driven from the end of the production line to a lot, then onto a truck or train, maybe onto a ship, off the ship/train/truck to a dealer's lot.

But, what is the norm for commercial planes? How often are they flown? What is done in that/those flights?

SATL382G

RE: Brand New Planes

Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:03 am

Just talked about this a couple of weeks ago...
# Of Hours On Delivery (by GEG Feb 18 2005 in Tech Ops)6/
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

CX Flyboy

Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:08 pm

I believe that when an aircraft (I'm thinking 777 specifically), does it's first flight, it is called a 'B1' flight. I.e. Boeing 1. If there are any discrepancies or anything that needs to be looked at, it will be rectified after the flight and taken on a 'B2' flight. 'B3', 'B4' or even 'B5' flights may be required. Once they are happy, the aircraft is handed over to test pilots sent from the customer.

The aircraft then does a 'C1' flight, with the customer going through a preset list of manouvres and checks. If there are things the customer is not completely happy with, the aircraft is fixed and does a 'C2' flight. 'C3' or 'C4' flights etc... may be required.

If everything goes very well, I believe they can get away with a B1 and C1 flight, however on average, I believe that 3 flights are done, so on average, a new 777 may have about 7 or 8 hours on it when the aircraft is officially signed over to the customer.

Things are probably a bit different for 757s and 737s, as they have to be flown to BFI from Renton, and I am not sure if this counts as their B1 flight. Also some airlines do not send their test pilots to inspect the aircraft, instead choosing to trust Boeing's test flights and accept the aircraft without a C1 flight, so their hours would probably be much lower.

jcavinato

Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:02 am

Didn't realize that there had been an earlier thread on this topic.

CX flyboy, thanks very much for the info. My wife and I will be on one of your LAX - HKG for a few days then on to Singapore all in first class sometime in the next few months as part of a round the world trip we've been planning for a few years. I'm taking her to destinations I've been to a lot on business. Me, I look forward to the actual flights. Never been on CX but have always wanted to. Looking forward to it.