HAWK21M
Topic Author

Night Shifts/Day Shifts

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:07 am

Which would be more comfortable Night or Day Shifts.This is put to both Pilots & Mx.
Have you felt excess Nights causing any harm.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

amtrosie

RE: Night Shifts/Day Shifts

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:33 am

Hawk,
That is a loaded question. Each individual is different, and as such reacts accordingly. I have worked with people who had a terrible time with nights. Family, body, wife, other commitments all played a role. On the other hand, I know some guys that could NOT deal with mornings and having to be "on" immediately. They needed time to wake up and get their motor running. My personal experience was that I found it more difficult to adjust to a true day shift then I ever did to the midnights. Of course I worked nights for almost 15 years. If you look at the different studies out there (I don't know any off hand), but Human Factors related, they all point to less effective work being performed in the 01:00 to 05:00 time frame.

LMP737

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:49 am

Easy question to answer. Day shift is easier on the body. People are not nocturnal creatures. When you work nights it throws off your sleep patterns. I should know, I have been working nights for a number of years now. When I've worked days in the past I notice I'm more alert and don't wear our as quickly. Also my wife says I'm not a cranky when I work day shift
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

cheekie747girl

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:50 am

In my experience, I have found doing a succession of shorter 'early' shifts, for example 6x 0500-1300, much harder going and fatigue-inducing than a straight set of 4x12 hour night shifts. However as has been said, it is very much down to the individual and their personal circumstances.
Big Boeing Birds are Best

NKP S2

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:06 am

Favorite shift, for my mind/body would be afternoons/swing etc. Approx 1500-2300. You get to wake up at a decent hour, yet still sleep at night.

I agree with the second poster about dayshifts. Most dayshifts in my experience in this business begin too damned early. I have never been a "morning person" for as long as I've known and detest waking up at predawn hours ( 0500-0530...if not earlier ) and am definately NOT at my best ( nor my friendliest ) I never could get to sleep early enough to get a good nights rest for an early rise.

Midnights? Definately will ultimately kill you before your time, but you can get through it IF you make getting your sleep and absolute and steadfast priority...though this plays hell with your social life. Ironically, the workweek is the easiest. It's the transition from/to your days off ( whenever they may be ) that proves the most challenging task. These guys that refuse to adjust to the 12 hour opposite, try to live life like they have the day off, and just fit catnaps in whenever, are miserable zombies that look like walking death.

pilotpip

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:50 pm

I like it one way or the other. I like the day shift (0430-1300) because you have a ton of daylight left when you leave. I like the midnight shift (2200-0630) because you can still do stuff in the evening before you head in to work. I can't stand working afternoons (1430-2300) because you miss all the good things like sporting events, good TV shows, etc.
DMI

wbmech

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:23 pm

Night shift isn't too bad at first but over time you get less and less sleep during the day and get grouchier and grouchier as time goes on. Day shift is way too early. Who want to leave the house before 5 am, especially in extremely cold weather. That in my opinion is just as unnatural as working midnights. My favorite is afternoons, good nights sleep, alert the whole shift and free time before and after work. I would like to start a little later than 2 o'clock, 4 would be better in order to get more time during the day. Another side benefit to afternoons is no rush hour traffic going to work or coming home.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:27 pm

How about Fatigue setting in if you've not slept well the previous night.It feels as if I've run 10 miles real fast.
The Night shift has less traffic on the Roads though.
regds
MEL

Dalmd88

Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:14 pm

I don't agree with the traffic part of it. On my way home in ATL I hit some pretty bad traffic some mornings. Even coming to work sometimes is rough. Nearly all road work is done evenings in this town.

NKP S2

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:07 pm

I believe he ( Wbmech ) was commenting on afternoons, not mids. On mids, traffic can heavy in the morning, but it's a lot better than the normal dayshift rush-hour, which is brutal in CLT both directions.

Gotta agree with Wb on the afternoon shift thing as well. I was definately more well-rested, and had enough time to get things done before work, things that would normally kill a "weekend" day.

NKP S2

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:13 pm

Quoting Pilotpip (Reply 5):
I like it one way or the other. I like the day shift (0430-1300) because you have a ton of daylight left when you leave.

0430??!! Man that's early! I'd likely spend that ton of daylight taking a nap Smile

CRJ200Mechanic

Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:18 pm

I prefer night shift myself. Less activity at the airport. You don't have turnaround times to contend with if you have a mx issue. I hate having to defer things. I know you have to sometimes, I just prefer not to. It is hard on the body because I always switch back to days over my weekend for my wife and I end up sleeping at odd hours. I think it helps our relationship because she works all day and I work all night so we only see each other on my weekend. That way I don't get fed up with her cheerful 
Always remember the responsibilies you hold with an A&P license

troubleshooter

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:31 pm

I work on nightshifts only for more than 4 years now. One funny thing I noticed is that I´m becoming hungry at night (01:00 or 02:00 o´clock) during my off days. That´s the time I usualy have my lunch break at work. Nightshifts aren´t that bad but I prefer to see the sunlight from time to time which is rather difficult during the winter period.
This job sucks!!! I love this job!!!

Dalmd88

Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:04 am

I concur with the middle of the night munchies on off days. As far as my comment about traffic, Our dayshift guys at DL here in ATL have less traffic comming into work than I have leaving after midnight shift. The later I leave the worse it gets. A lot of our guys live south of the airport so they never have to deal with it. Those of us that live on the north half of the city get slammed on our trip home.

I really believe working nights for many years is taking it's toll. My grandfather worked for years on nights and told me he never slept well after that. The end for me may be in sight. I may be getting layed off when DL outsources all their heavy checks. If I do, it will be a career change for sure.

AvionicMech

Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:40 am

Quoting CRJ200Mechanic (Reply 11):
I think it helps our relationship because she works all day and I work all night so we only see each other on my weekend. That way I don't get fed up with her

I just laughed to myself when I read that, and you are now part of my Respected Users list because I definitely know what you mean.  Big grin

CRJ200Mechanic

Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:09 pm

Quoting AvionicMech (Reply 14):
you are now part of my Respected Users list

Well I appreciate that, glad I could make you laugh. Don't think my wife would laugh if she read it.

AvionicMech

Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:55 pm

I doubt very much if my other half would be laughing either if she read my reply. In fact I think I would be getting the cold shoulder for quite some time.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:11 pm

I think it helps our relationship because she works all day and I work all night so we only see each other on my weekend. That way I don't get fed up with her

I laughed at it too,But its true  Smile
Its the Weekends for us both too.

About the munches at Work.I earlier used to eat after the End of the Night shift,but nowadays try to skip it.Has worked well with the Weight loss.
regds
MEL

CRJ200Mechanic

Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:14 pm

Quoting AvionicMech (Reply 16):
would be getting the cold shoulder for quite some time.

I would get more than the cold shoulder. I would get the dreaded laser eye. You know, the one that could penetrate a six inch thick piece of steel, yeah that one. flamed 

amtrosie

Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:08 am

For those of you who like the afternoon shift....YOU are NUTS!!!! I hated coming home in the weee hours and then trying to sleep immediately, it wasn't happening. I would end up sleeping up till the time to go to work. I got lots of sleep, but no other work got done. I am no morning person either, and had a hard time starting, except when a co-worker came in hung-over. Then all the very loud air tools and what ever else was handy came "alive" in my hands. They suffered dearly around me! As for the wife comments, oh, how true(about not seeing them all the time, and the eye/shoulder). Just plead the effects of the night shift and be reeeeeeal nice. Maybe it will work for you, although I never had much luck.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:56 pm

What about Rest after a Night Shift.Does the World let you.
regds
MEL

troubleshooter

Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:41 pm

My family: YES!!! My wife and my son do all their best to ensure a good rest for me.

The rest of the world: NO!!! One day my landlord called me. He wants to make an appointment for the painter. As I said him that I work on nightshifts and I want the job to be done on one off my off days he answered: "nightshifts? Fine, then you are at home the whole day..."  bomb 
The postman knows when I go to bed, too. He rings about 20 min. later...  Angry

That are some of the bad aspects of living at the other end of the day...
This job sucks!!! I love this job!!!

Tiger119

Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:37 pm

Although I do not work in the industry, i have flown my little plane both during the day time and at night time. For pilots I would have to say that the work environment would have to be better at night, less planes in the air and less of a chance of the brass at the stations upon ending the flight.

Quoting Amtrosie (Reply 1):
they all point to less effective work being performed in the 01:00 to 05:00 time frame.

- I have worked my "civilian" job on late shift for over 10 years. I have found myself enjoying working late shift and I am just as effective at night, if not more because of less distractions (except for more access time to the Internet).

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 2):
Day shift is easier on the body. People are not nocturnal creatures.

- Depends on how early day shift starts. I hate early mornings and I know I would not be as effective in the morning.

Quoting Troubleshooter (Reply 21):
One day my landlord called me. He wants to make an appointment for the painter. As I said him that I work on nightshifts and I want the job to be done on one off my off days he answered: "nightshifts? Fine, then you are at home the whole day..."
The postman knows when I go to bed, too. He rings about 20 min. later...

- That is the bad thing about working night time. No one understands why I keep my home telephone turned off during the daytime!

[Edited 2005-03-18 09:42:23]
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

MD11Engineer

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:47 pm

I have the same problem about the postmen. Somehow they found out that I´m on nights, so whenever a neighbour is not around to receive a parcel they ring at my door and ask me to accept it for the neighbour. Then again in early afternoon the neighbour, coming back fro his work, will ring.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

CRJ200Mechanic

Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:21 am

I live in a duplex and my neighbor is extremely loud and wakes me all the time. She is always slamming doors and her kid is screaming. I turned my radio up one night when I was getting ready for work and she came over and complained. I told her when she got her kid to shut up and to stop slamming doors I would turn it down. I told her I work nights and need my sleep during the day. She just didn't understand. She went and complained to my landlord and HA, he took my side. I have an advantage though. He used to be an A&P and worked night shift, so he knew how it was. My wife is really good. If she is home she leaves me alone. I don't have kids yet so I don't have to worry about that. Really the only time I don't get any sleep in on my weekend because I'm trying to get back on days. Believe it or not, I live a house away from my boss, so he always has something for me to do as well.

LMP737

Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:44 am

Oh so very true! When you work opposite shifts, you find that you don't argue over the "little things" as much. Little things that other couples might fight tooth and nail over you have a tendency to overlook. Like Avionicmech I'm going to have to add you to my respected user list.

P.S. Have you bought a streamlight yet to replace your maglight?

cancidas

Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:32 pm

i've been working the night shift (1300-2200) for th epast year and i have to say that i absolutely love it. i'm a nocturnal person to begin with, and don't have problems adjusting to it. i get off around 2200-2300 and am home no more than 1/2 hour later. i could never work mornings (0500-1300) at my company, just because of the people tha i'd ahve to work with. the only time that i do mornings is when we have full-blown deicing events where i get to pick my deicing teams. other than that, i am never there in the am.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:26 pm

I think it helps our relationship because she works all day and I work all night so we only see each other on my weekend

Initially it was tough adjusting,More so for the wife.But Gradually we got used to it.
Now with a 3yr old in the house,We have an entire shift of our own  Smile
The Wife works 5-6 days a week,I work 4-5 nights a week.Sat & Sun nights are the only time we have for the Family.

Its easier to Enjoy the weekend when one knows it'll only come around after 6-7 days.
regds
MEL

CRJ200Mechanic

Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:05 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 25):
P.S. Have you bought a streamlight yet to replace your maglight?

I talked to my wife's dad, who is a ballistics expert for Lockheed and he told about the Surefire N2 Nitrolon. It was cheaper than the A2 aviator, but it's still really bright. The only thing I don't like about it is that it burns through 2 batteries about every two nights.( I have 3 walkarounds to a night). Can you tell me how long the streamlight's last?

Hawk21m
I know what you mean about adjusting to the schedule. When I started nights, my wife would cry every night when I had to go to work. She hated being at the house by herself. It used to kill me. It doesn't really bother her anymore though. We have found that we sleep better when one of us isn't in the bed.

Just to let you all know, that my wife found this post and I got the evil eye. Didn't go as bad as I thought it would. She felt better when she read that there are other people in here that agree with me. I have to go real quick and buy some flowers banghead 

[Edited 2005-03-19 22:10:40]

amtrosie

Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:48 am

CRJ200mechanic,
With the wife, stealth is the key. I also got a dog with a good bark, that put me more at ease with the wife and kids in the house, and me not being around. Flowers and a night out usually help (its all about her).
Tiger119 and Cancidas,
Night shift IS NOT 13:00 ish to 23:00. It is 21:00 or so going to 06:00 or so. When you don't get much sleep (read MD11Engineer) day after day, the "enjoyment" is quickly lost on those who must try to function while sleep deprived. It is physically, emotionally, etc. draining and leads to very short tempers. I will say that a 4-day work week is FAR superior to a 5-day work week, when one must work midnights. Don't stare at the sun!!

LMP737

Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:49 am

The streamlights is use, the ultrastinger and stingerHP, are rechargeable so you don't have to worry about burning through batteries. Which of course can get expensive if your company does not provide batteries. The charge last about an hour of continuous use. The batteries eventually wear out but it takes a while. I bought my ultrastinger about four years ago an just now am having to buy a replacement.

LMP737

Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:50 am

Soory I meant to say "The stremlights I use..." not "The streamlights is use...".

CRJ200Mechanic

Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:52 am

Quoting Amtrosie (Reply 29):
(its all about her).

Happy wife, happy life

amtrosie

Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:06 am

CRJ200mechanic,
Good luck!! Hopefully you will succeed where I failed.(AIDS-aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome)

MidnightMike

Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:59 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Thread starter):
Which would be more comfortable Night or Day Shifts.This is put to both Pilots & Mx.
Have you felt excess Nights causing any harm.
regds
MEL

I was comfortable working any shift, hence my nickname, Midnight Mike. It is really up to people and how they adjust, some people can simply not adjust their biological clock to sleeping during the day time, others have families, which is always an added burden.
NO URLS in signature

NKP S2

Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:28 am

Quoting Cancidas (Reply 26):
i've been working the night shift (1300-2200) for th epast year and i have to say that i absolutely love it.

1300-2200 is callled "midnight shift" where you work? Sounds like afternoons ( or 2nds or "swings" ) anywhere else.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:00 pm

Out here the Shifts are like:-
1.The General Shift [0900-1800hrs]
2.The Morning shift [0600-1400hrs]
3.The Afternoon shift [1400-2200hrs]
4.The Night Shift [2200-0600hrs]

Most common is the 2-2-2 system ie 2 mornings/2Afternoons/2Nights,followed by an off.
The General shift is Mon-Sat with Sun off
The Only night shift is 2Nights/2 Offs.

Personally I do 4 nights/1 day.

regds
MEL

CRJ200Mechanic

Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:34 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 36):
Personally I do 4 nights/1 day

so do you work, ie monday thru thursday, then get friday off, then work saturday thru tuesday?

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:46 pm

Quoting CRJ200Mechanic (Reply 37):
so do you work, ie monday thru thursday, then get friday off, then work saturday thru tuesday

I work 2300-0800hrs [Unless theres a snag then until Rectification of snag however long it takes]

Mon/Tue/Fri/Sat Nights.[2300-0800hrs at the earliest].
Thu Day [0900-1800hrs]
Sun Off

regds
MEL

CRJ200Mechanic

Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:47 pm

Sounds like you work a pretty long week

AvionicMech

Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:23 am

Quoting CRJ200Mechanic (Reply 28):
Just to let you all know, that my wife found this post and I got the evil eye. Didn't go as bad as I thought it would. She felt better when she read that there are other people in here that agree with me. I have to go real quick and buy some flowers

What you should have told the other half is that this site is just about 'work and stuff' then if she is the same as my lovely lady, she wouldn't even think twice about bothering to read anything on here.  Wink

Quoting Cancidas (Reply 26):
I've been working the night shift (1300-2200)

Wow we have a shift that starts and finishes even later than that, that isn't even classed as night shift but earns the title of late shift. To get the name of night shift you either have to work the 7pm-7am shift or the 9.30pm-7.15am shift.

Avionic Mech

Dalmd88

Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:10 pm

Remind me never to work in India. Those hours suck. Rotating through all those shifts in a week's time will kill you. I did it once for about six months and I never knew what time it was or if I was supposed to be awake sleep or dead. Most police departments in the states rotate throught the shifts but you stay on the same shift for the entire week.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:28 pm

The Hrs are tough,esp since I work in a Cargo Airline so Nights are Important.
Most of My Friends in other Airlines in India work the 2-2-2 system.
It is Tough.Believe me.But I try to Enjoy it.
regds
MEL

CRJ200Mechanic

Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:26 pm

Thats dedication, HAWK21M  praise 

Tiger119

Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:01 pm

Quoting CRJ200Mechanic (Reply 32):
Happy wife, happy life

- "If Momma ain't happy, nobody's happy!"

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 42):
Most of My Friends in other Airlines in India work the 2-2-2 system.

- I'm afraid if I worked that schedule I would get to the point to where I would wake up and wonder, "What hours do I work today?"
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

A/c train

Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:07 pm

2 days,2 nights, 4 off when im working on the line and 4 days on, 4 days off in the hangar.
I prefer line maintenance, so im going to be byass towards 2 days, 2 nights, I enjoy the variety on that shift and the fact that you come into work not knowing what your going to be doing !
regds a/c

amtrosie

Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:24 am

Hey Hawk,
Those hours are rough!! I worked all three shifts in the course of a week.... once, NEVER AGAIN!!!! My hat is off to you.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:51 pm

Quoting Amtrosie (Reply 46):
Those hours are rough!!

Thanks.Yes its tough.Especially if one has not rested well prior to the Night Shift.
Did I tell you about the Fog season duties.Well thats another story.
 Smile

regds
MEL

RiffedAAMech

Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:53 pm

When I worked at American Airlines I worked the 2030 to 0500 shift. Now I work at an oil company refinery here in LA and work 12hr rotating shifts. I like the rotating shifts much better than working straight nights. You get a variety and I can sleep with the wife more often than before. Plus, since I work 12hrs we only work 7 days in a 2 week period, which means more time off to do other things. And I get every other weekend off where as working at an airline I never had a weekend off!

amtrosie

Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:46 am

Hawk,
Fog season duties???