lmml 14/32

Acars - Aircraft To Aircraft?

Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:39 am

Can an aircraft send a message to another company aircraft? If so, can messages be sent to other non-company aircraft at all? Is there a charge for using ACARS?

LAXintl

RE: Acars - Aircraft To Aircraft?

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:37 am

Quoting LMML 14/32 (Thread starter):
Can an aircraft send a message to another company aircraft? If so, can messages be sent to other non-company aircraft at all? Is there a charge for using ACARS?

No cant send between aircraft, and not sure why they would need to.

Yes ACARS does come with a cost. Its provided via your local provider, Arinc, SITA, Aircom etc..
For instance, one airline I have done some work with average about 1000USD per aircraft in communication charges per month. This can vary on what methods are used to connect the aircraft to the ACARS network.. ie HF / VHF / Satellite
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

CosmicCruiser

Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:12 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 1):
No cant send between aircraft, and not sure why they would need to.

Yes you can send a/c to a/c. I've done it many times. However the msg. does go thru ops so anything you write is for all to see. It's not used a lot but the capability is there. Eg. ATC says they've lost contact with a co. flt and want you to contact them with a freq. change. You can do this a few diff. ways...1.the last ATC freq. 2. plane to plane freq. 123.45, 3. guard 121.5, or 4. ARCARS plane to plane.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:42 am

You have to relay the messages through dispatch.

In fact on my very first flight with my current airline (and first airline)... my dad was captain on NW 1 from LAX-NRT (or nrt-lax...cant remember). We got an ACARS that said "NW 1 says congrats on first flight." Pretty dang neat.
Chicks dig winglets.