IslipWN
Topic Author

Can A Plane Really Take Off From A Steep Slope?

Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:50 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Markus Herzig

That seems like a pretty intese slope for take off to me! I know that this plane is made for short runway take off/landings, but I didn't know it could take off at that steep of a slope.

Joe

amtrosie

RE: Can A Plane Really Take Off From A Steep Slope?

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:10 am

Of course it can. The converse of landing uphill applies. If ones speed slow quickly landing uphill, then all the more taking-off downhill. Air over the wing is the rquirerment, going downhill only enhances that necessity.

Ryanair!!!

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:14 am

You know, the runways that we see at airports are not really as level as we all think it is. It looks level because it is long. But normaly a/c that we fly on are mostly certified to take off and land on runways with a sloping factor of up to 1.5%, if I am not wrong...
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

727EMflyer

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:02 pm

Probably the most amazing is the plane (sorry, don't know what type) operated by Kenmore Air of Seattle which took little more than a running leap of a snowy cliff. A video of it was featured in one of those short segments the old Discovery Wings Channel used to air between programs. Gravity gives the gift of airspeed most expeditiously!

OzLAME

Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:26 pm

Papua New Guinea is full of airstrips on the sides of mountains. The hazardous part is landing; apparently some of them are so steep you have to apply full power at touchdown, otherwise you will go off them backwards.
Monty Python's Flying Circus has nothing to do with aviation, except perhaps for Management personnel.

Mir

Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:48 pm

I should think that landing uphill would put a lot more stress on the landing gear from having to absorb part of the forward momentum of the plane in addition to the weight. In addition, there must come a point where the increased G-forces would be uncomfortable (or even dangerous) for the passengers and the airframe. I've taken off from and landed on slightly sloped runways before, but the slope was no more than .6%.

Not that it can't be done, but it would seem that runways are as flat as possible for a reason.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

doug_or

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:51 pm

you only have problems with the impact if you try to land on a sloped runway like its not sloped. It is a flat surface, and you can touch down just like you normaly would. landing on a upsloped runway makes precise landings easy- down sloped runways make it easy to float way past your point.
When in doubt, one B pump off

HAWK21M

Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:32 pm

Quoting OzLAME (Reply 4):
Papua New Guinea is full of airstrips on the sides of mountains. The hazardous part is landing; apparently some of them are so steep you have to apply full power at touchdown, otherwise you will go off them backwards.

Any Pics.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Starlionblue

Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:07 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):
I should think that landing uphill would put a lot more stress on the landing gear from having to absorb part of the forward momentum of the plane in addition to the weight. In addition, there must come a point where the increased G-forces would be uncomfortable (or even dangerous) for the passengers and the airframe. I've taken off from and landed on slightly sloped runways before, but the slope was no more than .6%.

"All you have to do" is land while ascending. As long as your descent speed relative to the runway is small, you're fine. If the runway climbs steeply, the plane needs to climb too, only less steeply. Quite common in Laos during the Vietnam War.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

oly720man

RE: Can A Plane Really Take Off From A Steep Slope

Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:33 am

http://www.mafc.org/graphics/wallpapers/hill_landing_800x600.jpg

http://www.mafc.org/graphics/wallpapers/hill_landing_800x600.jpg

I'm sure I found another version of this the other day without the logo, but can't find the site it came from.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

TripleDelta
Crew

Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:34 am

If the slope is particularly steep, and I'm assuming that you have a minimal flare to ease the landing, what are the chances of the a/c stalling, especially taildraggers? Okay, a/c with high stall speeds and no STOL kits and such stay away from slopes, but still. For example in situations like the one in that scene from Air America with the PC-6, or:

View Large View Medium

Photo © George Canciani
View Large View Medium

Photo © Patrick Rasmussen

No plane, no gain.