Tom in NO
Topic Author

MDI Compasses On A Martin 404

Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:48 am

I'm still doing some research on a Martin 404 crash outside Albuquerque in 1955.

4 compasses are mentioned in the accident report (2 RMI's and 2 MDI's). In looking at a picture of the 404's panel, I see the two RMI's on either side of the panel.

Can someone point out the two MDI's?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ralph M. Pettersen

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

caboclo

RE: MDI Compasses On A Martin 404

Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:42 am

Just a guess, MDI = magnetic direction indicator, ie a plain whisky compass. One is usually somewhere around the center of the windshield, don't know about the other one.
Freight dogs have more fun

longhauler

Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:17 am

If I recall, the RMIs would have the fluxgate compass as their source. The compasses in the cockpit, ie the "whiskey" compasses are a backup.

The old fluxgate compass, with the sensing needle are 3 from the left on the top of the captain's panel. And, another one, 3 from the right on the top of the F/Os panel. Curiously, they are almost 180 degrees apart, one indicating approx 300, the other 150 degrees!

The manual backup compass, is probably above the top of the panel, out of the range of the picture, to keep it clear of interference from the instruments.

You probably know this, but Robert Serling, included a lot of information about Ivon Spong, and that crash is his book, "The Probable Cause". Suspicion about the fluxgate compass system was one of the possible causes of the crash.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Tom in NO
Topic Author

Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:51 am

LongHauler,

Thanks for the info. What got me back interested was when I recently came across the supplemental CAB accident report. It's the one that changed the probable cause from an "intended" flight path taken by the pilots to one taken for reasons "unknown".
http://dotlibrary1.specialcollection...dll?websearch&site=dot_aircraftacc (won't let me do a direct link)

Not being a pilot myself, yet trying to understand the complexities of instrument operation, I was trying to further my limited cockpit knowledge with a better picture of the location of the various instruments.

"The Probable Cause" is an excellent book, and the place I first heard this crash many years ago. His other books, both non-fiction and fiction, are excellent reads, as well.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

411A

Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:05 am

A very similar DC-6 accident, with the compass system as the probable cause, occured on the east coast.
Early Sperry remote compass systems utilized three phase AC current for operation (provided by an inverter...IE: a DC motor driving an AC generator, not a static inverter) and every once in awhile, one of the phases would fail, providing an erroneous compass reading.
While flying the DC-6B, I experienced three such failures, and in each case, the compass (RMI) indicated a 120 degree bearing error.