Kay
Topic Author

A380 Maiden Flight

Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:39 am

Tomorrow at around 10h30 local time, the Airbus A380 will take its maiden flight in Toulouse.

It will take off towards the North, turn West towards the wineries, overfly the Atlantic and come back to land. The flight will be between 1.5 and 4 hours.

My question is about maiden flights in general: how can such complex untested machine be thrown out to a take-off without at least making sure that they do get airborne and are controllable first?

For example: Have the plane roll for take-off, rotate, get airborne, and then flare and land, all on a huge specially designed runway (twice the normal length). That way, engine failurres, system failures and everything else will not cause a disaster. After that, a longer flight will be planned, and then further and further.

I never understood the lack of need to test take-off and landing first before planning a 4 hour flight with an untested machine.

Imagine testing a formula 1 car on a track where if the car fails, it will free-fall 10,000 feet and have to crash.

Kay

[Edited 2005-04-26 17:41:56]

EMBQA

RE: A380 Maiden Flight

Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:48 am

Enough already...!!! There is only 50 other A380 first flight threads running..!!!!
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

SATL382G

Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:23 am

Quoting Kay (Thread starter):
My question is about maiden flights in general: how can such complex untested machine be thrown out to a take-off without at least making sure that they do get airborne and are controllable first?

For example: Have the plane roll for take-off, rotate, get airborne, and then flare and land, all on a huge specially designed runway (twice the normal length). That way, engine failurres, system failures and everything else will not cause a disaster. After that, a longer flight will be planned, and then further and further

Essentially that's what happens during the high speed taxi tests except for, usually, the actual takeoff. Once it's airborne and flying, and you've taken the risks, you may as well fly for a bit and explore landing characteristics before you attempt the landing.
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

redflyer

Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:43 am

Speaking of take-off, since the 380 will in fact be empty, or at least far below it's MGTOW, will the engines be run at full-throttle during the actual take-off run? Or, will they be run at somewhat less than full-throttle in order maximize the take-off run for purposes of extending the decision point for a go/no-go with regards to taking off?
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

Starlionblue

Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:03 am

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 3):
Speaking of take-off, since the 380 will in fact be empty, or at least far below it's MGTOW, will the engines be run at full-throttle during the actual take-off run?

Probably, but AFAIK they are still derated well below their design output.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

AvionicMech

Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:04 am

I don't understand how you could make sure they are controllable and that they can get airborne without a take-off because to get airborne you have to take-off.  Wink I do know what you mean though, but you would be surprised quite how many of the aircrafts systems can be checked on the ground without needing to go flying. A lot of the flying is done during these flight tests is just to endurance test systems and items that need an air load on them, the rest can be checked on the ground where it is safer if things do happen to go wrong.

Avionic Mech

Espion007

Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:07 am

The a380 will be loaded with full fuel for the first flight but i dont know about water balasts. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd flight.

Because there is one way to find out if its controllable.

This reminds me of a certain commercial that says near the beginning "its amazing what people will do when they have trust in their equipment".
Snakes on a Plane!

A346Dude

Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:02 am

Quoting Espion007 (Reply 6):
The a380 will be loaded with full fuel for the first flight

You sure about that? Sounds not only gutsy, but also uneconomical, for a flight that will last 4 hours max.

A346Dude

[Edited 2005-04-27 00:03:40]
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

HAWK21M

Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:05 pm

What would that be in UTC.....another 1.5 hrs to go.Is it live on BBC/CNN.Thats available out here.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Kay
Topic Author

Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:41 pm

it was airborne exactly 10 minutes ago. Still unknown how they will stay up there.

Kay

AA173HEAVY

Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:59 pm

It was truly awesome to watch! Lifted off so easily too. For those of you in the US, its on CNBC. The have left for now but will check back in and out and will definately be back for the landing.
Insert some famous meaningful quote here

5T6

Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:50 pm

Amazing to watch!

But it does kinda sorta look like the Goodyear Blimp with wings.  Wow!

Mike
I see my Cats as Companions. My Cats see Me as Furniture!

Mr Spaceman

Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:58 pm

Hi guys

I watched the takeoff this morning about an hour ago. It was really sweet to see. The test pilots didn't retract the landing gear after a positive rate of climb was confirmed. Obviously (I think) one of the first "In Flight" tests involves the airspeed limits for the gear being extended & for it's retraction.

>>EMBQA .... you said this .....

Enough already...!!! There is only 50 other A380 first flight threads running..!!!!

Take it easy, try to relax. This is the TECH FORUM as you know, and when aviation "history" is in the making, it's time to celebrate! I sure had a huge smile on my face when I watched the footage of the 380 taking off. It's a new airplane!!! Perhaps you don't like Airbus jets. Maybe you're not having a good day. Who knows? But, if you can......try to be happy about this flight. Also, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth .... I don't have that right. Also, I'd be very surprised if a post about this maiden flight wasn't done in this forum. Thanks for the post Kay. Big grin

>>, Kay, you stated .....

"My question is about maiden flights in general: how can such complex untested machine be thrown out to a take-off without at least making sure that they do get airborne and are controllable first?"

Kay, consider this ...... an airliner isn't designed by 3 year olds! As mentioned, there is only one way to find out if it will fly ....... Take off in the bird!

Remember, air tunnel tests & computer simulations, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, are done first. I suspect a special route of flight that keeps the aircraft away from towns below is part of the flight plan for safety reasons in case something does go very wrong. Those test pilots sure have parts!

Guys, today is a great day for aviation. I wonder how long it will be before the first A380 lands here in Toronto? That will hit the local news big time!

Take Care,

Chris  Smile
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

HAWK21M

Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:56 am

Just Fantastic,The Lift off was Excellent looking.
Images of The A380 in Cleaned up mode cruising looked good too.
Did not see the Touchdown though.Will catch it on the news.
regds
MEL

Mr Spaceman

Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:02 am

Hi guys.

>> HAWK21M, I saw it flying while cleaned up on the local news at noon. They also showed it's landing from a hovering chopper, but as usual, they stopped the footage before it actually touched down. (I hate it when that happens!!!  banghead  ) It was still about 10 feet above the runway and had floated past the touch down zone markings when the video stopped.

Here's a little info about the flight from a Toronto news website.........

"The takeoff was absolutely perfect," chief test pilot Jacques Rosay said over the radio about an hour into the flight. "The weather's wonderful."

The plane took off carrying six crewmembers and 20,000 kilograms of on-board instruments. The aircraft weighed in at 421 tonnes when it departed for its first trip – that’s only 75 per cent of its maximum authorized take off weight.

Chris  Smile
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

HAWK21M

Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:07 pm

Great day for all Aviation Crazy Folks the World over.Now for the B787.  Smile
regds
MEL