Biggles
Topic Author

Icao Format For U.S Domestic Flights?

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:53 pm

I flight plan corporate aircraft around the world. We always use the ICAO format for filing with ATC, except for domestic U.S. internal flights. We rarely have any problems anywhere in the world , but U.S. domestic flight plans ,especially out of small U.S. airports often give us grief . The reason often given is "the airport isn't in the ATC system" or "the system can't find a waypoint".This also happens a lot when filing a flight from the U.S. to Canada from a small U.S. airport using the ICAO format.
Do you think the U.S. will ever go to the ICAO format for all IFR flights ??
The ICAO format is standard around the world. An added benefit to ATC is all the additional information contained in the format.
Why does the U.S. still use the domestic format that contains very little info ?? In light of recent events would ATC want the most information possible ??

[Edited 2005-04-29 07:54:03]

Goldenshield

RE: Icao Format For U.S Domestic Flights?

Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:48 pm

Do these smaller airports have intrument approaches?

Have you tried filing to Canada using the domestic format?
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Biggles
Topic Author

Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:45 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 1):
Do these smaller airports have intrument approaches?

No not all of them have instrument approaches.

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 1):

Have you tried filing to Canada using the domestic format?

Yes,sometimes the only way the Flight Data person can get the flight plans into their system is to enter them in the domestic format.
Each Centre is different too .Sometimes they will help and tell you the problem,sometimes they will manually enter the flight plan,and sometimes the will tell you it's been rejected , try again ,which is no help.
Then I will call the nearest FSS and verbally filing it with them .

Everywhere else in the world accepts an AFTN or SITA message 99 percent of the time. Even Eurocontrol is easier. But filing through AFTN in the U.S. is hit and miss..

Goldenshield

Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:03 pm

It's slowly changing. Who knows when it will happen, though.

I file both, so I understand what you mean, but I still prefer the US domestic format for it's simplicity.  Smile
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.