CALMSP
Topic Author

What Is This Ramper Doing?

Mon May 02, 2005 9:43 am

I'm not an expert on the airbus......only worked a few F9 birds....but what could this guy be doing during the engine starts in this position.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Pete Bennett

I guess he could be shutting the door, but we typically dont push them this far for last minute bags becuase he is blocking November Kilo

Jamie757

RE: What Is This Ramper Doing?

Mon May 02, 2005 9:51 am

He's trying to lift the front so it's free of the tug!

Rgds
"I feel like a turkey who's just caught Bernard Matthews grinning at him!"

OPNLguy

Mon May 02, 2005 9:52 am

I'm no expert on the Airbii either, but had this been a 737, he'd be in the vicinity of the access door for the airconditioning hose (that's used while on the gate). Assuming Airbus has a similar door in a similar location, perhaps he was just checking it, or re-closing it. He looks too close to the aircraft centerline to be doing anything involving the cargo door, but I'm sure some Airbus folks will chime in with more authorative info...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

IAHTowTeam

Mon May 02, 2005 10:04 am

I am no expert at airbuses either, as I work for CO and we only have Boeing, however, it looks like he is closing the access panel door for the A/C. Just a well educated guess but just by a process of elemination, there could not be much else around that area he would have much else to do with.

Goldenshield

Mon May 02, 2005 10:26 am

That looks more like the location of the pneumatic duct connector used with an airstart cart.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

CALMSP
Topic Author

Mon May 02, 2005 10:29 am

if thats the case then they just forgot to shut it.....since airstarts take place at the gate.

GQfluffy

Mon May 02, 2005 10:30 am

Ah, now that would make a little more sense. Most likely someone didn't get it latched all the way. Or maybe someone's glove got caught in the door (if there is one on an airbus) and he didn't have time to get it free when they pulled the airstart away. Kinda funny to see an a/c with a glove caught in a door somewheres on the fuselage.

fluffy
This isn't where I parked my car...

tinpusher007

Mon May 02, 2005 10:42 am

As a ramp supervisor myself with experince on only Boeing and MCDD a/c (worked on F9 A319 on TDY once)...I'd say most of your guesses are correct about what he is doing. As far as the engine start, there really is no evidence just from looking at the picture that the engines are being started/running. Im quite sure the driver on the tug has advised the man in charge that someone is in the vicinity of the engines and that he should hold off on starting until he is clear.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

707guy

Mon May 02, 2005 10:47 am

I used to work for DGS in CLE and we handle HP - he's definately in the area where the conditioned air and airstart doors are. Could just be securing one of them.

acidradio
Crew

Mon May 02, 2005 12:30 pm

Closing the panel door to the switch for the hydraulically-operated front cargo door. Sometimes those get missed up until the last minute. That ramper is right where that is.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

cle757

Mon May 02, 2005 10:22 pm

Maybe its a mechanic checking out something.
Cleveland the best location in the Nation

Sinlock

Mon May 02, 2005 11:00 pm

It's a ramp rat for sure he's got knee pads on.
Looks like he's closing the Airstart door. He's not closing the the panal for the forward bin because at the angle hes standing he'd have never been able to reach the door latch.

(P.S. I work around 319s all day long)

ntspelich

Mon May 02, 2005 11:33 pm

I concur that he's probably closing the door for the air conditioning/airstart coupling. We usually do our airstarts at the gate, but I have seen DL do them in the alleyway. At BWI NW does theirs at the gate, so possibly someone simply forgot to close the panel and it was noticed after the a/c had pushed. I know that I came pretty close last night to leaving a potable water access door open, good thing that we had to defuel 1000lbs so it wasn't an issue.

NTS
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

HAWK21M

Mon May 02, 2005 11:37 pm

Probably Tightening a Camlock fastner  Smile
Or Closing a panel latch. My guess.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Gilligan

Tue May 03, 2005 1:02 am

Looks like the airstart door to me. It's funny how those things will pop open all by themselves. Then you go to try and close it and 4 out of 5 tries it pops right back open and on the 5th for no explanation it stays closed. It usually relates to how hard it is raining/snowing or to how near the end of your shift is. It's not specific to Airbus either. I've had it happen on Boeing and MD products as well.

Engine number 2 looks like it is running or was running, seems to be roiled air behind it. Walking along the center line can be done safely as long as the engines are at idle. I worked on the ramp for WN for a while and back then they did not believe in cross bleed starts so you started both engines at the gate with the cart. Then the low man on the totem pole got to waddle down the center line and remove the hose. I never did like doing that!
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

KingGeo3

Tue May 03, 2005 1:15 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 13):
Probably Tightening a Camlock fastner

IKEA sells Airbus now? Cool, I'll stop and get a kit on my way home from work today!

Smile

-KG3
Nobody respects me . . . :(

CMHSRQ

Tue May 03, 2005 3:31 am

You are all wrong he is double checking the fluxcapacitor. DUH!!!
The voice of moderation

CALMSP
Topic Author

Tue May 03, 2005 4:52 am

how could you do an airstart away from the gate? you need to keep power to the airplane in order to do so.

CaptOveur

Tue May 03, 2005 5:09 am

Quoting KingGeo3 (Reply 15):
IKEA sells Airbus now?

they always did.. You didn't know?

Here come the flames
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Gilligan

Tue May 03, 2005 5:14 am

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 17):
how could you do an airstart away from the gate? you need to keep power to the airplane in order to do so.

And that is partly why they invented portable generators. I've worked more than a few gates where the jetway power was down and we had to use a portable gen, do an airstart, and take away the portable a/c unit. It's a real pain. If you are saying did they back the ac away from the gate and do an airstart, probably not, as mentioned in an earlier post, they would be blocking an active taxiway in that position which generates a lot of nasty phone calls. NW does park some airplanes out on the ramp in that area, I wonder if they weren't just dragging this one around to the gate?

[Edited 2005-05-02 22:20:57]
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

CALMSP
Topic Author

Tue May 03, 2005 5:19 am

portables you would still crank it up at the gate....you wouldnt push it back b/c then you would still disconnect the ground power unit.

SWISSER

Tue May 03, 2005 6:09 am

Hi guys!

he is doing something on the ground service conditioned air connector!
no big deal!(page 215,216 of the MFP)
What time is top of descent?

SWISSER

Tue May 03, 2005 6:12 am

the APU is running(hatch is open under the tail) so they probably forgot to close it at the gate!

cainanuk

Tue May 03, 2005 7:09 am

That is where the forward cargo door controls are. I would guess that as the door is open and his hands are actually up where the switches would be, the captain has probably asked him to double check that the front cargo hold is actually all the way closed.
Cainan Cornelius

pogo

Tue May 03, 2005 7:47 am

Quoting Cainanuk (Reply 23):
That is where the forward cargo door controls are

I think you are right, the airstart and air con' connections are further back.
I think he is just closing the door that gains access to the cargo door controls.
There is a small door/hatch that is opened to gain access to the door controls, sometimes if you try and 'flick' it shut it can bounce back down and remain in an open position.
This is exactly why we do a walk round before the aircraft pushes back so we can check that all doors and handles are closed and in the correct positions, cargo doors, passenger doors, fuel cover, water service and toilet service points etc.
When in doubt give it a clout

SWISSER

Tue May 03, 2005 8:26 am

Yes,

you are right!
indeed they are further back when I look at it again!
(middle of the fairing)
I don't see the need why he needs to do something on the airco connectors in the first place!

SWISSER

Tue May 03, 2005 8:30 am

by the way is there still a flag on that ?static port? just above the nose gear?

sacflyer

Tue May 03, 2005 9:07 am

Quoting SWISSER (Reply 26):
by the way is there still a flag on that ?static port? just above the nose gear?

I believe that is the red paint stripe for the maximum nosegear towing angle.
I'm just happy that RR ratings can't be in negative numbers!

UA772IAD

Tue May 03, 2005 9:43 am

Call me an idiot, but what is an airstart and what does it do? I'm sure I've seen them. They're those little carts that they hook up to A/C and then take away with golf carts, right?

Gilligan

Tue May 03, 2005 1:05 pm

Quoting UA772IAD (Reply 28):
but what is an airstart and what does it do? I'm sure I've seen them.

It is basically a diesel engine hooked up to a compressor for feeding high pressure air to the engine to get it to start. It is used when the APU bleed air is out of service. The bigger the plane, the bigger the airstart cart. It is usually pulled around by a tug as a golf cart probably wouldn't have the ummph to get it going. BTW, it is also affectionately referred to as the "huffer cart" by navy types. All of them put out a hell of a whine when they are cranked up to operating speed and I have yet not to be able to hear one on the inside of the aircraft when they are doing an airstart at the gate.

pogo

Wed May 04, 2005 7:32 am

Quoting SWISSER (Reply 26):

No that is not a flag, it is a reference point for pushback drivers, because if the bar is in line or goes past that mark then they are coming close if not already exceeding the stress limits on the nose gear.
These marks can be found on all modern aircraft, for an example look at the red line on this 737.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mark McEwan

scarebus03

Wed May 04, 2005 8:54 am

I am an airbus wizz and I think he's pulling his hat out of the a/c no.1 pack inlet.

It's definitely the hp ground connector left open after an airstart it happens all of us from time to time  Smile
No faults found......................

HAWK21M

Wed May 04, 2005 6:12 pm

Quoting Gilligan (Reply 14):
Looks like the airstart door to me. It's funny how those things will pop open all by themselves. Then you go to try and close it and 4 out of 5 tries it pops right back open and on the 5th for no explanation it stays closed.

Spring tension of the latches  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

320tech

Thu May 05, 2005 2:00 pm

He's facing the wrong way to be fooling with the cargo door operating handle. I think the HP air door is the most likely object of his attention.
The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the manufacturer and impossible for the AME.

pogo

Fri May 06, 2005 8:26 am

You are right, he is also behind the drain, the angle of the picture is a little deceptive, I had a closer look at an AF 320 today, definately the HP air supply or the air con', these two are very close together, but most likely the HP air supply.