AJet

How Do You Change A Wheel On An Airliner?

Sat May 07, 2005 10:47 pm

Silly question, but I'd like to know that:
how do you change a wheel on an airliner?
(I can't imagine they're using a jack!)

Thanks!

jwenting

RE: How Do You Change A Wheel On An Airliner?

Sat May 07, 2005 10:54 pm

Quoting Ajet (Thread starter):
(I can't imagine they're using a jack!)

why not?
I wish I were flying

geoffm

Sat May 07, 2005 11:21 pm

Certainly looked like it to me when I saw them changing not one but two wheels on an inbound HKT - and we had the same captain going to BKK! (The landing at BKK was actually the best I've ever had...).

Not your usual car jack but a a jack nonetheless. Sort of cage thing. A300 if that makes any difference.

Geoff M.

LeonB1985

Sun May 08, 2005 1:49 am

I've seen it happen on a LY B747-400 which burst a tyre on landing at LHR. By the time they had towed the aircraft from the end of 27L to its stand, there was a 'wheel change vehicle' with a new tyre ready and waiting. Can't remember exactly what was done, but it was changed pretty fast and I don't think there was any significant delay to the departure back to TLV.
From the construction site that is better-known as London Heathrow Airport

EMBQA

Sun May 08, 2005 2:25 am

It's just like changing a tire on a car. You jack it, remove the 'lug nut', remove the old tire...put on the new tire, tighten the 'lug nut' lower the jack. Most aircarft tires are held on by a single large splined nut which is locked on by retaining bolts and then safety wired. Here are several pictures from several different types of planes, but as you see the process in nearly identical....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tim de Groot - AirTeamImages

View Large View Medium

Photo © Geir Løitegård

View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Cederholm

[Edited 2005-05-07 19:40:14]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

AJet

Sun May 08, 2005 5:47 am

Thanks to you all, and especially to EMBQA for these well-chosen pictures. I just couldn't believe before seeing it, that you could actually jack the front gear of a jumbo jet!

Ajet

Kerberos

Sun May 08, 2005 2:44 pm

Haha:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Cederholm

This pic made me laugh... You've got to be careful where you park your 747 these days.... bastards will stop at nothing to steal your wheels
This is your captain speaking. I’ve turned off the no-smokin’ sign. Hell, if the plane is smokin' why can't you?

OzLAME

Sun May 08, 2005 3:51 pm

On the Swearingen/Fairchild Metro series and the SAAB 340 it is permissable to put a small ramp in front of the wheel next to the one you are changing and tow the aircraft up onto it, this gets the wheel to be changed off the ground very quickly and easily.
Monty Python's Flying Circus has nothing to do with aviation, except perhaps for Management personnel.

HAWK21M

Sun May 08, 2005 5:58 pm

Quoting LeonB1985 (Reply 3):
I've seen it happen on a LY B747-400 which burst a tyre on landing at LHR. By the time they had towed the aircraft from the end of 27L to its stand, there was a 'wheel change vehicle' with a new tyre ready and waiting. Can't remember exactly what was done, but it was changed pretty fast and I don't think there was any significant delay to the departure back to TLV.

A Tyre burst & towed,would necessate extra load on the remaining tyres.
On the B737s if An Aircraft is towed or has rolled with one flat tire,the Adjacent wheel is also replaced as its likely to have been loaded abnormally.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

JHSfan

Sun May 08, 2005 6:52 pm

Doing it the Halliburton way... you don't. Just buy a new airliner and send the bill to the owner of the old one.

- JHSfan
Look at me, I´m riding high, I´m the airbornmaster of the sky...

Jamie757

Mon May 09, 2005 8:13 am

Quoting Kerberos (Reply 6):
Haha

This pic made me laugh... You've got to be careful where you park your 747 these days.... bastards will stop at nothing to steal your wheels

This picture was taken in Manchester? Right?

Rgds.
"I feel like a turkey who's just caught Bernard Matthews grinning at him!"

KC135R

Mon May 09, 2005 8:20 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 4):
It's just like changing a tire on a car. You jack it, remove the 'lug nut', remove the old tire...put on the new tire, tighten the 'lug nut' lower the jack. Most aircarft tires are held on by a single large splined nut which is locked on by retaining bolts and then safety wired. Here are several pictures from several different types of planes, but as you see the process in nearly identical....

Do you know if any civilian airplanes have anything like the integral jacking found on the C-17? It seems like a good idea.

air2gxs

Mon May 09, 2005 9:30 am

I know of no civilian airliners that have integral jacking. The weight penalty would be too severe. The C-17 has the advantage of being able to refuel in flight, which allows it a higher basic operating weight.

EMBQA

Mon May 09, 2005 10:20 am

KC135-

None that I know about. I'm sure it was added to the C-17 as part of the design contract. I'm guessing it was added to the aircraft so it could be maintained at airfields with little to no GSE.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

RayBolt

Mon May 09, 2005 12:03 pm

NW had to change a DC9 tire up here in GFK last year. The comment on the photo describes the situation, but the pilots felt something while taxiing, and NW had to fly a mx crew up for the change.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Timothy Hannan

dan
You can't join the MHC on the ground.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Wed May 11, 2005 2:52 am

Saw WN's line mx guys at LAX replace a wheel on the main gear during the turn. Only caused a 5-10 minute delay. Other than that, the turning of the aircraft went as normal. That impressed me...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

HAWK21M

Wed May 11, 2005 5:41 pm

Wheel change with all tools ready can be done in Ten minutes [during transit time of 30 minutes].
I think Brake change during Transit is tougher due Temperatures Involved  Smile
regds
MEL

Stealthz

Wed May 11, 2005 6:49 pm

Quoting KC135R (Reply 11):
Do you know if any civilian airplanes have anything like the integral jacking found on the C-17?

I'm no expert but this is easier to do on transports with kneeling gear..
Does it have self jacking or do they put stand under A/C then kneel the gear? That seems to me the easy way.

Some Citroen cars had a similar capability.

Rgds

Chris
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

jumbojim747

Wed May 11, 2005 7:12 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 8):
A Tyre burst & towed,would necessate extra load on the remaining tyres.
On the B737s if An Aircraft is towed or has rolled with one flat tire,the Adjacent wheel is also replaced as its likely to have been loaded abnormally

MEL would it not make sence to change both anyway as the tred patern or the uneven wear between the new and old tyre be unbalanceing to the aircraft.?
On a wing and a prayer

HAWK21M

Wed May 11, 2005 8:51 pm

Quoting JumboJim747 (Reply 18):
MEL would it not make sence to change both anyway as the tred patern or the uneven wear between the new and old tyre be unbalanceing to the aircraft.?

Not necessary.Uneveness more likely to affect NLG more than MLG.
Unless there is a very big difference in the condition of adjacent Tires.
regds
MEL

UAL Bagsmasher

Wed May 11, 2005 10:02 pm

I have heard stories of aircraft whose nose gears are canted forward, having their nose tires changed without jacking. You turn the nosegear fully in one direction or the other. The result is that one of the two nose tires actually leaves the ground without the use of a jack. You can see this on a DC-10 in a sharp turn. Only one nose wheel is touching the ground. A tire change in this manner can't really be safe, but I've heard of it being done.

MD11Engineer

Wed May 11, 2005 11:02 pm

Quoting UAL Bagsmasher (Reply 20):
I have heard stories of aircraft whose nose gears are canted forward, having their nose tires changed without jacking. You turn the nosegear fully in one direction or the other. The result is that one of the two nose tires actually leaves the ground without the use of a jack. You can see this on a DC-10 in a sharp turn. Only one nose wheel is touching the ground. A tire change in this manner can't really be safe, but I've heard of it being done.

You can do this on an MD-11.

Usual procedure for changing wheel (generic):

1) Jack wheel up (often you´ll use an air powered jack and just take the air from the old tyre). At the same time it will deflate the tyre (necessary for safety reasons)
2) remove hub cap
3) Remove safety bolt on axle nut
4) remove axle nut
5) remove axle washer (if installed, the A300-600 doesn´t use them)
6) put on axle thread protector
7) set parking brake
8) depending on size of wheel either slide old wheel off by hand or use wheel trolley
9) clean axle and axle spacer of old grease and inspect axle and brake unit for damage
10) put a little high temperature grease on bearing surfaces of axle and spacer (we use Grease
28)
11) Reinstall axle spacer
12) slide on new wheel
13) Install axle washer and loosely install axle nut
14) release parking brake
15) while one person turns the wheel, the other person pretorques the axle nut (to set the
bearings)
16) release axle nut
17) while one person turns the wheel torque axle nut to final torque
18) Install and safety safety bolt.
19) install hub cap
20) Check tyre pressure
21) dejack plane
22) do paperwork and sign off in log book.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Wed May 11, 2005 11:30 pm

Quoting UAL Bagsmasher (Reply 20):

This works on the entire DC-9 family as well as the ATR-72.

OzLAME

Thu May 12, 2005 5:54 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 19):
Quoting JumboJim747 (Reply 18):

Not necessary.Uneveness more likely to affect NLG more than MLG.
Unless there is a very big difference in the condition of adjacent Tires.
regds
MEL

I can't speak for other larger aircraft but on the SAAB 340 you have to change the nose wheels as a pair to prevent nose wheel shimmy. As pointed out above, it isn't necessary to change MLG wheels in pairs.
Monty Python's Flying Circus has nothing to do with aviation, except perhaps for Management personnel.

jfkaua

Thu May 12, 2005 10:51 am

just a quick question.. on that picture with the 747 nose wheel jacked up.. isn't that putting a rather large amount of weight on a pretty small space? It looks like the space where it hits the ground couldn't be more then 10"x10"

L-188

Thu May 12, 2005 11:18 am

Quoting OzLAME (Reply 7):
On the Swearingen/Fairchild Metro series and the SAAB 340 it is permissable to put a small ramp in front of the wheel next to the one you are changing and tow the aircraft up onto it, this gets the wheel to be changed off the ground very quickly and easily.

Correct, seen this procedure quite a few times.

Otherwise the jack is needed.

When I worked for Reeve out in the Bush they stockpiled some assembled mainwheels for the Electras and 727's, and a jack, in case they where needed.

Never where the whole time I was there.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

OzLAME

Thu May 12, 2005 11:42 am

Quoting Jfkaua (Reply 24):
just a quick question.. on that picture with the 747 nose wheel jacked up.. isn't that putting a rather large amount of weight on a pretty small space? It looks like the space where it hits the ground couldn't be more then 10"x10"

Consider the footprint of the nose wheel tyres; it's not too much more than that.

HAWK21M

Thu May 12, 2005 12:50 pm

Is the Replaced Tire deflated prior to installation & recharged after Installation.
How is it done at your area.
regds
MEL

air2gxs

Thu May 12, 2005 9:45 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 27):
Is the Replaced Tire deflated prior to installation & recharged after Installation.
How is it done at your area.

We always deflate the wheel assembly before removing it, but the servicible unit comes inflated, we just top it off.

One reason to deflate, is safety. You really do not know the condition of the wheel assembly coming off. If several tie bolts have fractured, it may be the axle nut that's holding the tire together. Never seen that before, but it's definetely within the realm of possibility.

HAWK21M

Fri May 13, 2005 1:09 am

Quoting Air2gxs (Reply 28):
We always deflate the wheel assembly before removing it, but the servicible unit comes inflated, we just top it off

Out here Even the New Replacement serviceable wheel is recvd with reduced pressure to avoid Injury during Transport.After it has been installed,it is topped up to required pressure.
regds
MEL

UAL Bagsmasher

Fri May 13, 2005 12:53 pm

When performing a brake change, and not changing the tire, is it your practice to deflate the MLG tire before removal and top it off after the brake change? Or do you just remove and re-install the tire fully inflated to change a brake assy.?

HAWK21M

Fri May 13, 2005 1:07 pm

Quoting UAL Bagsmasher (Reply 30):
When performing a brake change, and not changing the tire, is it your practice to deflate the MLG tire before removal and top it off after the brake change? Or do you just remove and re-install the tire fully inflated to change a brake assy.?

Everytime a Wheel is to be removed irrespective if during U/s Wheel replacement or Brake change facilatation,Deflating is a must.After Reinstallation of the Wheel,Tire is again recharged.
Its a precaution in case of Damaged Hub bolts.
regds
MEL

A/c train

Sat May 14, 2005 12:18 am

As Hawk says, you should deflate the wheel before removing it for a brake change, people have been killed by not doing this, seriously. Also you shouldnt inflate the wheel until you have torqued it up on the axle, same reason, a couple of damaged tie bolts and it could explode on you as HAS happend before.
But im guilty of doing things the opposite way to this I must admit, im sure Airplay has inflated a wheel and taken it too the other side of the airport about 20 psi up too save him not going back for the N2 bottles !!
Whats important is knowing that if your doing a walk round and you spot a cracked tie bolt (especially on 757's) you will take the precaution too fully deflate it, when you change it, THATS common sense.

HAWK21M

Sat May 14, 2005 12:22 am

Quoting A/c train (Reply 32):
Whats important is knowing that if your doing a walk round and you spot a cracked tie bolt (especially on 757's) you will take the precaution too fully deflate it, when you change it

Why did you include the type ie 757.
regds
MEL

Lemurs

Sat May 14, 2005 7:22 am

Quoting A/c train (Reply 32):
Whats important is knowing that if your doing a walk round and you spot a cracked tie bolt (especially on 757's) you will take the precaution too fully deflate it, when you change it, THATS common sense.

Can you give an explanation on that? I guess I don't know the physical charactaristics of the wheel/tire to know how this is dangerous. I know that anything with that much weight and pressure is basically a bomb in containment, but I'm not sure I understand what the tie bolt is/does?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

MD11Engineer

Sat May 14, 2005 8:06 am

Because, unlike with cars, an aircraft rim consists of two halves, which are held together by the tie bolts. If the tie bolts are damaged, the axle nut can be the only thing holding the wheel together. Also, the pressure on a typical aircraft main tyre is in the 200 PSI range, about ten times as much as a car.The two rim halves are sealed against each other with an o-ring.

Jan

kaddyuk

Sat May 14, 2005 7:44 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 35):
Because, unlike with cars, an aircraft rim consists of two halves, which are held together by the tie bolts. If the tie bolts are damaged, the axle nut can be the only thing holding the wheel together. Also, the pressure on a typical aircraft main tyre is in the 200 PSI range, about ten times as much as a car.The two rim halves are sealed against each other with an o-ring.

Jan

I've seen wheels removed without deflating... saves time and effort... but as people have said, its highly dangerous...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

HAWK21M

Sun May 15, 2005 2:11 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 36):
I've seen wheels removed without deflating... saves time and effort... but as people have said, its highly dangerous...

Better Late than Never......Always Deflate prior to Wheel removal  Smile
regds
MEL

atct

Sun May 29, 2005 6:00 am

Ok I cant resist............Very Carefully :P

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

HAWK21M

Sun May 29, 2005 5:56 pm

Have you ever tried Jacking the MLG axle to change Two Deflated tires on that side Gear.
Any practical Tips.
regds
MEL

MD11Engineer

Sun May 29, 2005 9:55 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 39):
Have you ever tried Jacking the MLG axle to change Two Deflated tires on that side Gear.
Any practical Tips.
regds
MEL

You mean two deflated tyres on the same axle? You�ll need a rhino jack, that can work with the little ground clearance.

Jan

air2gxs

Sun May 29, 2005 10:30 pm

You need a Rhino Jack, also called a recovery jack. Basically the jack pad sits only about 2 or 3 inches of the ground. The jack stradles the gear and the ram is back with the body of the jack.

The first picture in this link, http://www.vpnavy.com/vp94_2003.html, shows the jack in use.

dan2002

Mon May 30, 2005 12:54 am

Quoting Air2gxs (Reply 41):
The first picture in this link, http://www.vpnavy.com/vp94_2003.html, shows the jack in use.

The link is http://www.vpnavy.com/vp94_2003.html ,you added a comma to the link. Interesting 404 error tho..

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

HAWK21M

Mon May 30, 2005 1:09 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 40):
You�ll need a rhino jack, that can work with the little ground clearance.

What if thats not available.
Jan....Your posts seems to have a lot of i¿½.
What does it mean.
regds
MEL

MD11Engineer

Mon May 30, 2005 1:28 am

It is a problem with the forum. If I type in an apostrophe ´ or the German characters ä, ö, ü and ß they get printed this way ä,ö,ü,ß, and ´ if I don´t reopen the post to rededit them.

Jan

[Edited 2005-05-29 18:29:07]

The funny think iws that they appear normal on the edit page.

Maybe something for Johann

[Edited 2005-05-29 18:30:13]

[Edited 2005-05-29 18:32:14]

air2gxs

Mon May 30, 2005 4:52 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 43):
What if thats not available

Your options are pretty limited to "use your imagination". We once towed the offending wheel set onto blocks of wood in order to raise the jack point. Need to be extremely careful doing that. It is real easy to exceed towbar limits when towing a aircraft with flat tires. It's not easy, but can be done.

HAWK21M

Mon May 30, 2005 2:04 pm

Quoting Air2gxs (Reply 45):
We once towed the offending wheel set onto blocks of wood in order to raise the jack point.

That was the option available.But We preffered to Deflate the Oleo on the Affected gear,Tied the Scissor links together & raised the Aircraft slightly with the Wing Fuselage jack,getting sufficient clearence to Insert the Main Bottle Jack under the Axle.
regds
MEL

bongo

Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:53 am

It is common even with passengers onboard... It happened to me last year in CDG on an AF B737 !!! I was on the window and I saw almost the whole procedure.
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

IL76TD

Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:41 pm

IL-76's carry a small hydraulic jack about the size of 3 cereal boxes which can be used to change main or nose tires. All the aircraft travel with minimum one spare nose tire and one mlg tire, and if forward deployed for some time we will throw an extra mlg tire into the aircraft. Hub changes from old tire to new take about 10 minutes, and outer wheel changes take approximately :30, and a little more for inner mlg or inner nose gear changes.

Of course, considering an IL-76 has more landing gear than a 747, even if you blow up to half your gear tires...no problem.

They are also 13 ply tires, versus western tires that IIRC have only max 6 or 7 plys, this is why most non-knowledgable people look at IL-76 tires that have worn through 4 plys and think 'whoa, wouldn't want to fly on this' not realizing that there are still more ply's left than on a new boeing or airbus tire has.

HAWK21M

Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:21 pm

Quoting IL76TD (Reply 48):
Of course, considering an IL-76 has more landing gear than a 747, even if you blow up to half your gear tires...no problem

What happens when the Aircraft rolls with deflated tires.Are the rest changed along with the u/s ones,as the load distribution has been affected.

Quoting IL76TD (Reply 48):
They are also 13 ply tires, versus western tires that IIRC have only max 6 or 7 plys

This is educational.What about the TU-204 tires.
regds
MEL