TripleDelta
Crew
Topic Author

Cessna 337 Time Logging - Not A Multi-engine?

Wed May 18, 2005 5:31 am

A group of friends and I were having a discussion about multi-engine a/c and ratings a few days ago and were commenting a Skymaster at the airfield. One of the more interesting hypotheses was that 337 time cannot be logged as multi-engine - apparently, as the explanation goes, due to the centerline-thrust concept, where the a/c does not behave like a classical twin in an engine-out situation i.e. no "asymmetric" problems.

This sounds pretty far-out to me, so perhaps someone can shed some light on the subject. If it has two engines, it is multi-engine - how do you log it then? When can you exactly log multi-engine time - and concerning the original topic - what IS multi-engine time anyway?  Wink
No plane, no gain.

SPREE34

RE: Cessna 337 Time Logging - Not A Multi-engine?

Wed May 18, 2005 5:51 am

In the US you would log multi engine time, annotating centerline thrust in your log.
This is a common issue for many military fighter pilots as well.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

loggat

Wed May 18, 2005 7:13 am

Having a multi engine license (centerline thrust only) does not allow you to fly a conventional twin in the US. As SPREE34 said, you log it as multi with the annotation. You must get a separate multi engine rating to allow you to fly a conventional twin. However, if you get a conventional twin rating, you are able to fly a multi engine airplane with centerline thrust.
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't.

L-188

Wed May 18, 2005 8:45 am

Yup it is a special notation in the log.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

2H4

Wed May 18, 2005 8:51 am

When I was working at a small FBO, we had a pilot stop in for some twin training. He had been flying F-14s for years, which surprisingly enough, also have a centerline thrust restriction. I would never have guessed, considering how far apart the engines are mounted:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mariusz Adamski

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mark Carlisle

Anyway, a few hours in a Dutchess got his centerline thrust restriction lifted, and he was able to go apply for airline jobs.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

OzLAME

Wed May 18, 2005 11:32 am

Cessna's original intent was that people could fly the 336/337 without a twin endorsement, but someone quickly put a stop to that; perhaps because there have been accidents caused by attempted take-offs with the rear engine not running.
Monty Python's Flying Circus has nothing to do with aviation, except perhaps for Management personnel.

TripleDelta
Crew
Topic Author

Wed May 18, 2005 4:39 pm

Thanks for the replies, now it makes sense that it falls into it's own sub-category. Then, multi-centerline-engine endorsements can be got in regular multi-engine schools, provided they have the 337 for a type rating... Good to know, we're thinking of restoring the Skymaster mentioned before...  Smile

2H4: that's even more far-out then my original post  Smile. I would never have guessed it. So then, other jets with paired engines such as the F-15 and FA-18, are also categorized as centerline-thrust? What an irony it must be to have F-14/15/18 time and not be able to fly a Baron or Seneca...
No plane, no gain.

LeanOfPeak

Wed May 18, 2005 11:54 pm

OzLAME, I think it's a little more insidious than that. It would be pretty silly for someone to attempt to take off in a twin on a single engine. What I would be more suspicious of is failure recognition. There have been 337 accidents caused by feathering of the wrong prop following an engine failure. While you don't have Vmc or critical engine to worry about, you do need to be drilled on learning how to tell which engine failed (Which is tougher when the airplane is not yawing as a result of the engine failure). Overall, not a situation you'd want to drop someone straight out of an Arrow into with just a checkride.

[Edited 2005-05-18 16:55:19]

dw747400

Thu May 19, 2005 2:09 am

Actually, there were several accidents due to simply forgetting to start the rear engine. I'm not sure of the details, but I've heard this from several reliable sources (both print and word of mouth). I'd guess that failure recognition would be a major issue nonetheless.
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

LeanOfPeak

Thu May 19, 2005 2:47 am

I just looked up the NTSB reports on 337 accidents for the last decade.

I knew there'd be some cases of mistaken feathering and failure to feather. I did find some.

There is a surprising number of fuel exhaustion cases.

And I am appalled...You are right that there are cases of single-engine takeoffs, but not because the pilots forgot to start one engine; Because one engine would not start and the pilots DELIBERATELY taxied out and attempted to take off anyway.