jetjack74

Strange Window On A 707

Thu May 19, 2005 7:58 pm

I know that this is one of the KC-707 refueler's operated by the IIAF, but what is the significance of the elongated window at the rear section of this airplane on each side? It looks like 2 window frames melded together. Was this standard on the tankers ordered by Iran? Strange.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stuart Haigh

Made from jets!

HAWK21M

RE: Strange Window On A 707

Thu May 19, 2005 9:33 pm

View Large View Medium

Photo © Hideaki Ohki
View Large View Medium

Photo © Lukas Kinneswenger

5th Last Window on the Port side & Last Window on the Starboard side.Good Observation.
I wonder why.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

OPNLguy

Thu May 19, 2005 10:13 pm

I have nothing in fact to base this upon, but my initial thought upon looking at the above photos and noticing the different windows on opposite sides of the windows was that there might have been some type of crewmember station (console?) installed when the aircraft was in military service and that they were staggered at the back of the aircraft.

Could it be that the aircraft, in its former tanker role, also had wing refueling drogues on each side (in addition to the boom on the centerline) and that the large windows on each side were for separate operators to handle drogue ops on their respective sides?
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

jetjack74

Fri May 20, 2005 11:47 am

They were multipoint refuelers with the Beechcraft Wing Ports like the Canadian Armed Forces CC-137.
Made from jets!