Summa767
Topic Author

AA Maintenance Base To Get Avianca Work

Wed May 18, 2005 5:28 pm

AA Tulsa maintenance base is set to shortly complete a deal for work on Avianca's airplanes. It has not been confirmed what aircraft type/s this will involve. Could it be the MD83s, or the new F100s that will need to be upgraded and re-engined after their spell in the dessert, or indded the 757/767 type?
Any input would be appreciated.

http://www.kotv.com/main/home/stories.asp?whichpage=1&id=83419

commavia

RE: AA Maintenance Base To Get Avianca Work

Wed May 18, 2005 8:28 pm

This is great news for the TUL MRO base and all of its employees. AA is trying very hard to preserve its in-house MRO operation and is actively seeking outside work. Let's hope this Avianca deal is a done deal and there is more to come!

Brick

Wed May 18, 2005 11:06 pm

I doubt the F-100's will be maintained there. When the AA F-100's were retired most of the personnel (including my mother) that worked on them were laid off or transferred. The test equipment and spare parts were sold.

If this does happen it will be with the MD-80's. I think that's really the only aircraft being worked on in Tulsa in addition to the A300's.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

kevindca

Thu May 19, 2005 1:14 am

This was released by AA today (5/18):

<< CEO Gerard Arpey today announced at the AMR annual shareholders annual meeting that American Airlines has reached agreement in principle on a multimillion-dollar contract with Synergy Aerospace, Inc., to do heavy maintenance work on 29 Fokker F100 aircraft.

The contract includes seven light C-checks, 22 heavy C-checks, certain modifications including seat reconfigurations and installation of Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning Systems, and component repair and replacement.

The initial work is expected to last from 12 to 15 months, with Synergy receiving the first overhauled aircraft by June 15. The work will be done in Tulsa.

"This is a solid example that we are on the right track with our maintenance philosophy of not only being competitive in doing our own maintenance in house, but also bringing in third party work," Arpey said.

Previously, American leased the aircraft, currently stored in the Mojave Desert, and Tulsa mechanics maintained them. Upon retirement from American, the F100s were returned to an aircraft leasing company, which subsequently sold them to Synergy Aerospace, a division of The Synergy Group, a privately held holding company which includes Colombia-based Avianca, Ocean Air of Brazil and Peru-based Wayra.

American will oversee reactivation of the aircraft from the desert.>>

commavia

Thu May 19, 2005 1:19 am

AA will indeed be performing overhauls and large modifications on 29 F100s that were previously owned by AMR. In addition, AA is in the process of actively seeking more work from Synergy and its subsidiaries, including Avianca's MD80 fleet. A big win for AA maintenance!

spartan13

Thu May 19, 2005 8:13 am

A big congrats to AA bigthumbsup . I can't wait to see them here.
Ralph Duenas - Jetwash Images (Charles Barkley said it best "Oklahoma is a vast wasteland")

a300aa

Thu May 19, 2005 12:08 pm

Good news for AA.

They plan to train their pilots too, on the simulator in DFW training center.

sunking737

Thu May 19, 2005 1:42 pm

Hey Great news, I have a friend who works in MX @ TUL. He said they were looking at outside work.

I don't think any of the other airlines are doing any of this, or even thinking about this.

Best way to keep jobs and not cut them. Way to go AA !!
Just an MSPAVGEEK

miaskies

Thu May 19, 2005 9:03 pm

http://atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=1082

Indeed AA will get the synergy contract for the refurbishment of the F100's!
Way go to AA... any chance these F100's are going to AVIANCA? After all AVIANCA did mention it wanted to purchase F100's.
Nothing better than making love at 35K Feet!

ckfred

Fri May 20, 2005 2:31 am

It made sense for AA to get this contract, since it had been the largest operator of F100s. Also, since Fokker has been out of business for several years, AA has a lot of experience in manufacturing parts for the F100.

Looks like AA's decision to keep its maintenance work in-house will pay off in the long run, both in terms of revenue and relations with the mechanics.

LMP737

Fri May 20, 2005 2:51 am

Finally some good news for the M&E department at AA. Hopefully this will take a bit of the pressure off.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

dc10hound

Fri May 20, 2005 4:21 am

If this does happen it will be with the MD-80's. I think that's really the only aircraft being worked on in Tulsa in addition to the A300's.

TULE is also home to the B737 and B757 fleets...
"Eagles soar. But weasels never get sucked into jet intakes.."

JUANR

Fri May 20, 2005 5:51 am

Quoting Brick (Reply 2):
If this does happen it will be with the MD-80's

The MD80s are well maintained here at BOG where Avianca has its own and very good infrastructure to do it. It will be only for the new Fokkers to be added in the group's airlines.

Juan
SKBO
Bogotá: 2600 Metros Más Cerca De Las Estrellas; Vamos por los XVII Juegos Nacionales!!!!!!!!!

LAXintl

Fri May 20, 2005 5:58 pm

Quoting Sunking737 (Reply 7):
I don't think any of the other airlines are doing any of this, or even thinking about this.

Both Delta via DeltaTech and United via its United Services do a significant amount of 3rd party work. AA is actually quite small and late in the game.

http://www.unitedsvcs.com/
http://www.delta.com/prog_serv/tech_ops/maintenance_servs/index.jsp
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Dalmd88

Sat May 21, 2005 4:01 am

DeltaTech Ops does a lot of engine and component work. We also do some airframe work, mostly World, US Navy 737, and BBJ. We also do some painting. I really wonder if AA will be able to grow their MRO business like they hope. We at DL at one time had ambitions to grow like that but I sounds like it was hard to compete with the Timco's and ST's of the world on a cost basis.

TimT

Sun May 22, 2005 2:15 pm

I'm happy for the AA guys- TWA used to do some 3rd party work at MCI. Then the management decided it was to much hassle. When I started at TWA, we were doing engines for UPS, Flying Tigers, AeroMexico, and a couple of others. Seems like the AA mangement has new ideas. Good. It's about time.

And I have to agree- it's hard for the majors to compete with the Timco's when the airlines have the little things we mechanics like. But also at the current rate, those little things are rapidly going away. (Pensions, Benefits, etc.)

LMP737

Mon May 23, 2005 11:25 pm

DALMD88:

Yes it does remain to be seen if AA will be able to compete with the TIMCO's of the world. In the case of the Avianca F-100 work we were able to offer a service that most other MRO's cannot provide. Complete service on the F-100. Due to the demise of Fokker AA found itself having to make it's own parts.

Hopefully AA will be able to find it's niche. Overhaul of Rolls Royce motors is one area that AA has an expertise at. In fact they already overhaul Trents for Delta at their TAESL facility at AFW.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

planefreakaa

Thu May 26, 2005 3:36 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 13):
Quoting Sunking737 (Reply 7):

Both Delta via DeltaTech and United via its United Services do a significant amount of 3rd party work. AA is actually quite small and late in the game.

too bad they farm out all of their own heavy maintenance, ohh and we also do ex united planes at AFW, and delta engines at AFW