HAWK21M
Topic Author

Rvsm Related Red Squares

Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:06 pm

I've noticed some Aircraft have Rounded tipped red squares painted around RVSM related Areas needeed to be aerodynamically clean & undamaged for RVSM Ops.
Where as some Aircraft don't.
Is the marking Mandatory.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

air2gxs

RE: Rvsm Related Red Squares

Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:33 pm

Our aircraft don't have a red bordered area around the static ports and we are RVSM. The area around the ports remains unpainted, but the size of the unpainted area has not increased. There are numerous restriction on repairs in our SRM, but no border.

I did a quick search of the FARs and couldn't really find anything, but didn't spend much time.

UAL Bagsmasher

Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:53 am

Our aircraft (CRJ-200) are required to have a bordered area placarded around the RVSM critical area. Our squares are black in color. Any fuselage within that placarded area has to be perfectly smooth. Even chipped paint over rivet heads has to be sanded down. Any access dooors in that area must close perfectly flush. If you look closely at one of our planes, you'll notice quite a few sanded/primed areas within the RVSM area. The biggest PITA concerning RVSM is keeping those little squares applied. We tried decals, but they tore off quickly. Now we are using a paint pen, which isn't much better. Every 2 or 3 days they need to be re-applied.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:18 pm

Quoting UAL Bagsmasher (Reply 2):
PITA

Whats PITA
regds
MEL

danman

Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:15 pm

Hi Mel
It stands for Pain In The A** or something very similar.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:59 pm

Quoting Danman (Reply 4):
Hi Mel
It stands for Pain In The A** or something very similar.

Ok...... Smile
regds
MEL

jeb94

Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:28 pm

What sort of paint are you using and are you giving it time to set up correctly? I don't know how the aerodynamics work on your planes but the MD80 hasn't been much of a problem and we have these big circles with a wedge in front of the primary ports. These markings also have something to do with the enhanced GPWS system I think as my previous employer doesn't use similar markings, at least not ones so easily seen.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John Thompson

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:18 pm

I would think Decals would be better bonded than Paint.Anyone.
regds
MEL

Yikes!

Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:47 pm

You may be referring to the ETOPS sensitive areas around pitot and static port installations.

AvionicMech

Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:26 pm

What do you mean by the ETOPS sensitive areas? I have only ever heard of the RVSM areas as mentioned around the static ports but not ETOPS.

You are allowed repairs in the RVSM area but it has to be 'flow tested' by the manufacturer to ensure it won't affect the airflow and therefore the altimeter readings.

Yikes!

Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:56 am

Sorry, can't elaborate more. That was what I was told when I did my ETOPS pilot training back in '97 in Canada. Granted, RVSM started on the NAT's in early 1997 and maybe I was told the wrong information.

As far as RVSM goes, I was told that it was only the immediate area around the static ports that mattered. But perhaps since surface damage can also affect pitot tube airflow, most likely you're right. Especially if you're in the maintenance side. Unfortunately, the flow of info between our groups isn't as good as it could be!

Thanks for the Q,

Yikes!

AvionicMech

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:46 am

It is only the area around the static ports that matters for RVSM as on aircraft such as the 757 and 737NG, but on aircraft like the 767 and 737 Classic which have a combined Pitot-Static head the RVSM area is around the heads rather than a separate static port as they don't have them.

If you look at the picture of the 757 below you can see where we have performed a repair in the RVSM area. Before the repair was authorised by Boeing they punched the numbers into their magic computer to calculate if the pressure entering the static port would be disturbed by this patch behind it, and obviously it didn't so the repair was carried out.

Separate static ports:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Antonio Carrasquilla - Iberian Spotters
View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Priesch - Spotterteam Graz

Combined Pitot Static Heads

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tamás Mihalik - Skyarts Aviation Photography
View Large View Medium