Nomad
Topic Author

A380 Jack Up Points?

Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:35 pm

Can any of you experts enlighten me of how they jack up the A380 in order to test the landing gear ! I saw them testing it on a channel 4 documentary the other night but didn't see how they lifted the aircraft.

Thanks

Nomad  Cool

Buyantukhaa

RE: A380 Jack Up Points?

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:18 am

Landing gear is normally tested without a plane on top: some factory machine throws the gear on the ground (in such a way that forces are the same as a rough landing), and this should ensure that the gear is up to the job. Should not be tested with a real plane on top: what if it fails?
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

MD11Engineer

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:44 am

Moment. The landing gear will have to be tested after installation, especially the emergency deploy function. Also adjusting the wheel well doors requires gear swings (retractions and extensions). For this the airplane is being jacked up using huge hydraulic jacks on hardpoints on the wings and the fuselage. Since I haven´t seen the A380 from close up yet, I can´t tell you where the jacking points are on this plane.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

HAWK21M

Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:37 pm

The A380 would def have been Jacked up to check its functioning of the Retraction Sequence on the Grd,would need Jacking up.
Anyone having Pics of the Aircraft doing Retraction tests on Jacks.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

dairbus

Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:10 pm

I saw the same documentary here in the states. After looking at my recorded copy of the program and doing some research of the photo database, it appears the A380 has four jackpoints. One at the front, one at the rear, and one under each wing.

This photograph I believe shows the nose jackpoint as just behind the nosewheel where the triangular shaped hydraulic jack painted white is.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stuart Isett

The wing jackpoints can be seen here by the location of two jacks which are colored gray with a black cylinder extending from the base just inboard of the pylons for engines two and three. From the TV program, the point appears to be approximately 2/3 of the chord from the leading edge.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Nils Alegren

I have not found a picture showing the rear jackpoint but again from the program it appears to be located halfway back from the body gear to the tailcone.

Regards

DAirbus
"I love mankind. It's people I can't stand." - Charles Shultz

Matt72033

Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:44 pm

isnt the the rear jacking point just a tail stop that sits within a few mm of the tail incase the aircraft tips?

this was the case on the Jet Provost we had at my old college!

MD11Engineer

Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:56 pm

Depends on the aircraft type. Normally three jack hold the weight of the aircraft ansd one is pressurised to a lower force and just stabilises the plane. The B737 e.g. has it's weight carrried by the tail jack and the wing jacks, with the nose jack stabilising. The A320 is carried by two wing jacks and the nose jack and gets stabilised by the tail jack.

Jan

[Edited 2005-06-25 12:56:51]
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi