kaddyuk

Laser Gyros

Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:24 am

I'm looking for some decent information regarding Laser Gyros. I'm sitting a JAR66 Cat A Module 11 (aircraft systems) exam on monday and i need to understand how they work. My notes (they are B1 level notes) dont make any sense, i understand the principle of two laser beams and all that, but how does moving the gyro affect the laser beams if the whole unit moves at the same time?

**very confused**
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

bond007

RE: Laser Gyros

Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:08 am

Well, when the gyro is moved, the light beam that is currently travelling between the mirrors/sensors either speeds up or slows down (compresses or stretches out), or in other words, the wavelength changes slightly. This can be measured by the sensors and depending on which of the beams changes wavelength, the system can determine the direction and amout that the gyro moved.

...actually a Google search on 'Laser Gyro' will give you more than enough information.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

G4Doc2004

Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:16 am

Here's a very good explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_laser_gyroscope

And yet another(with pics): http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/a...s/aureview/1985/may-jun/siuru.html

[Edited 2005-07-01 00:18:32]
"Failure to prepare is preparing to fail"--Benjamin Franklin

kaddyuk

Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:24 am

I think i'm slowly understanding... maybe i'm "slightly" wrong with this analargy, but its like when you move an object and it continues a little bit in its current direction before the overall change in direction takes affect, its this difference that is measured and inidicated to the aircraft...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea