cancidas

Airline Job Opportunity

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:26 am

for anyone interested in working for an airline there will be an open hose on thursday, the 14th of july. us airways express at LGA is looking to hire ramp agents. there will be two sessions, one at 0900 and the other at 1300. everything will take place at the wyndham garden hotel, when you arrive ask for the main hall or ballroom where the interviews will take place. you will need to bring with you a valid driver's lisence, social security card and a copy of your high school diploma. do not be late as the doors close promply on the hour. good luck!
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

vs773er

RE: Airline Job Opportunity

Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:13 pm

God I wish there was a similar opp in the UK.

I'm a graphic designer trying to make the leap into aviation and it's near on impossible, barely any open days accessible for people with no previous experience!
Communicating. Keeping up foreign relations...

HAWK21M

Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:35 pm

Quoting Cancidas (Thread starter):
social security card

Walk in Interviews are not common out here.
BTW whats a Social security card.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

SlamClick

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:09 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 2):
BTW whats a Social security card.

The Social Security program was started back in the 1930s. You are given a lifetime number upon registration. (Used to register upon adulthood, they now expect babies to be registered) During your life, you pay a SS tax and your employers match it. At 62 you can begin to draw a pension. If you wait until you are 66 the pension will be larger, and if you wait until 70, it will max out.

Problem is, it is a "ponzi scheme" that depends on there being more taxpayers in the future than there were in the past to work. Hidden problem with "outsourcing" (as in to India) is that the workers there don't pay into US SS so the American workers paying in today might not be able to draw their pensions. Also Congress has borrowed against the money so many times over the years that it is hard to say how much money the system has.

Anyway, the SS account number comes very close to being a national identity number for a person. It is your taxpayer ID number, your military service number, pilot license number (except for us old timers with an actual license number) and in some states it might be your driver's license number.

No one may employ you unless they pay taxes including the SS tax to the account bearing that number. Probably the reason you need to bring it to an interview is to prove you are not an illegal alien.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

HAWK21M

Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:49 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 3):
During your life, you pay a SS tax and your employers match it. At 62 you can begin to draw a pension.

Out here its called Provident Fund.
Very Similiar.
Thanks for the Detailed Explanation.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

doug_or

Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:06 am

Off topic, I know, but its not just old timers. They're giving the kids new pilot numbers these days.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 3):
Anyway, the SS account number comes very close to being a national identity number for a person. It is your taxpayer ID number, your military service number, pilot license number (except for us old timers with an actual license number) and in some states it might be your driver's license number.
When in doubt, one B pump off

57AZ

Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:39 am

Most states have discontinued the use of SSNs as license numbers due to concerns about identity theft or identity fraud. Essentially, Social Security cards are useless as proof of citizenship due to the ability of anyone to reproduce them and the ability create false identities through access to public records.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

cancidas

Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:09 pm

jsut so you all know, there is going to be another job fair this week. i'll have more details tommorow...
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

MidnightMike

Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:17 pm

For the European folks, Alteon Training is looking for Crew Schedulers for the Gatwick Training Center.....

Mike
NO URLS in signature