TupolevTu154
Topic Author

Easy Way To Remember Port And Starboard?

Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:55 am

Well, I remember that the Red Light is on the left hand side of the aircraft, and the green on the right when you're inside in normal seating positions, but how do you lot all remember port from starboard, or starboard from port?

Any ideas, like little rhymes or anything? I can never remember!

Thanks

Tom Big grin

geoffm

RE: Easy Way To Remember Port And Starboard?

Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:05 am

Two things:

1. Left and port are both 4 letters

2. Port wine is red.

Geoff M.

wilax

Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:44 am

Port is the side that the jetway pulls up to...

Lubicon

Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:48 am

Port and left both have fewer letters than starboard and right.

redflyer

Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:57 am

The "P" in Port is alphabetically closer to the "L" in Left; the "S" in Starboard is alphabetically closer to the "R" in Right.

Of course, the best way to remember is to just use the terms "Port" and "Starboard" on a regular basis (in your head, if not in public) and then you won't need gimmicks to remember which side is which.
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

SkyWestFan

Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:34 am

Right is never Red.

SW
MarcF
Fiji. Its like sex - but better.

SlamClick

Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:01 am

I've always remembered that I was port-handed.

We're creative, you know.
 Smile
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

VSIVARIES

Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:19 am

It's the same in sailing and aviation.

In sailing they always say a ship has 'left port'.
For every action there is always an unequal but mostly similar reaction.

kbuf737

Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:27 am

But if you were a rower it became more confusing as I rowed port, but my oar was to the right, yet the viewpoint from the coxwain's vantage has port where it is supposed to be, on the left.
The tower? Rapunzel!!!!!!

avt007

Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:37 am

"Is there any red port left?"

efohdee

Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:58 am

Left red, right green
Two R's never go together.
Port and starboard I dont know thought that was maritime stuff

HAWK21M

Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:55 pm

Look at your Right hand & say Starboard.green.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

TupolevTu154
Topic Author

Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:38 pm

Thanks for your help guys! I'll learn some of these suggestions, please excuse my ignorance in the first place  Silly

Tom Big grin

vc10

Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:39 pm

Just as well that they changed it from Larboard to Port, other wise there would be no easy way to remember it

Be Happy little vc10

ATCisgreat

Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:34 am

Is there any port left??
Next: 26.05. DUS-LHR BA939, LHR-HKG BA25; 01.06 HKG-LHR BA32; 02.06. LHR-DUS BA938

Jetlagged

Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:08 am

Quoting KBUF737 (Reply 8):
But if you were a rower it became more confusing as I rowed port, but my oar was to the right, yet the viewpoint from the coxwain's vantage has port where it is supposed to be, on the left.

This is precisely why the terms port and starboard are less ambiguous than left and right. Port and starboard are directions relative to the ship/aircraft axis, not the observer. If you use left/right terminology you are more likely to confuse this with your own left and right sides. And it's not just a left/right confusion. A flight engineer would have to remember that starboard is in front and port is behind  Wink

Which ever way you are facing, port and starboard remain unchanged, relative to your vessel.

In the days when British aircraft manufacturers still made aircraft, we had port outer, port inner, starboard inner and starboard outer for engines 1,2,3 & 4. Much more picturesque (and meaningful unless you knew the left to right number convention). European aircraft still identify hydraulic systems by colour, rather than number.

Regarding remembering them, just use the terms regularly. Mnemonics can get confusing.
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.

David L

Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:35 pm

Quoting Jetlagged (Reply 15):
Mnemonics can get confusing

True. "Is there any port left?" can become "There's still some port, right?".  Smile

geoffm

Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:50 pm

(and meaningful unless you knew the left to right number convention)

Would that be looking from the front or from facing forward?  Wink

Geoff M.

SlamClick

Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:25 pm

If you use left/right terminology you are more likely to confuse this with your own left and right sides.

Very true and always a challenge for flight attendants. They are taught "aircraft standard practice" where left and right refer to "as viewed from the pilot station, facing forward" so the left wing is always the airplane's left wing, no matter which way YOU are facing. Now along comes a passenger to ask where their seat is. They have to reverse it - Seat A is always aircraft left but they have to tell the passenger walking aft that it is on their right.

Large aircraft systems controls and indicators are normally schematically correct and schematics are normally oriented with forward up and left-left. So that the gauge and switch for the left engine or system in on the left side of the panel etc. You can see this in several places on this 727 flight engineer panel. For example upper left are the controls for ##s 1,2 & generators which are left, center and right. Below that the fuel controls. There are other examples here as well.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Carsten Bauer

I found an apparent exception however:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Graham Hitchen

The Boeing 727 fuel jettison controls - the control for tank #1 (left wing) is on your right and the control for tank #3 (right wing) is on your left.

The reason is, I suppose, this is viewed while you are facing aft, so it is still "directional." The panel is behind the red-handle FUEL DUMP door seen above the F/E seat in this picture.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bruce Leibowitz

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

tinpusher007

Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:52 am

Many people think of captain and first officer as pilot and co-pilot. The port side of the aircraft is also the pilot or captain's side which is how I remember it.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

kaddyuk

Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:08 am

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 9):
"Is there any red port left?"

Thats how i used to remember it... now its just autonomous...  Wink
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

bhill

Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:46 pm

Starboard
The Vikings called the side of their ship its board, and they placed the steering oar, the "star" on the right side of the ship, thus that side became known as the "star board." It's been that way ever since. And, because the oar was in the right side, the ship was tied to the dock at the left side. This was known as the loading side or "larboard". Later, it was decided that "larboard" and "starboard" were too similar, especially when trying to be heard over the roar of a heavy sea, so the phrase became the "side at which you tied up to in port" or the "port" side. ...Soooo the way I remember it is: The "steering board" the rudder, back then, was on the RIGHT side...

Cheers...
Carpe Pices

Skydrol

Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:17 pm

For the nav light colors:

"Right red wrong!"

Port - "Pick Only RED Tomatoes"

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

JDD1

Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:12 am

Left and port are the two short words
Right and starbord are the two long words

FaroeFlyer

Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:31 am

I heard the word "starboard" comes from the Viking age when the boat was steered on the right side. Maybe "port" comes from the side that faced... port.

Also I heard "board" derives from Norse "bard", which should mean "edge". But then again, I can be way off.

Edit: Don't think this will help you much remembering which is which tho  Smile

[Edited 2005-08-17 21:35:34]
Cast your dancing spell my way...

waketurbulence

Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:31 am

I used to row as well, and sometimes it got confusing, because the boat is also upside down when you wash the hull and flipping it over was always a hassle when people got confused.

Which ever way you are facing, port and starboard remain unchanged, relative to your vessel.

I understand what you are saying but it can still get confusing for spectators watching rowing.
-Matt

HAWK21M

Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:28 am

Once you get used to it.Its not difficult.Never really thought of any way to remember it.It just became a habit.
regds
MEL

Buzz

Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:10 pm

Hi TupolevTU154, Buzz here. I explain it to people who haven't been around boats very often this way:
I hold a bottle of Port (wine) in my Left hand. Port is a red wine.

One day while helping one of my flying buddies with a Stearman (biplane) i was messing with his mind by calling the left side of the airplane "Captain's side" and the right side of the airplane "Copilot's side". If you know the WW2 Stearman, they have tandem seating (fore and aft) .... grin.
g'nite

L-188

Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:27 pm

Quoting Bhill (Reply 21):
The Vikings called the side of their ship its board, and they placed the steering oar, the "star" on the right side of the ship, thus that side became known as the "star board." It's been that way ever since. And, because the oar was in the right side, the ship was tied to the dock at the left side. This was known as the loading side or "larboard". Later, it was decided that "larboard" and "starboard" were too similar, especially when trying to be heard over the roar of a heavy sea, so the phrase became the "side at which you tied up to in port" or the "port" side. ...Soooo the way I remember it is: The "steering board" the rudder, back then, was on the RIGHT side

Quoting FaroeFlyer (Reply 24):
I heard the word "starboard" comes from the Viking age when the boat was steered on the right side. Maybe "port" comes from the side that faced... port.

Yup, that is the version of the story that I have heard too. The port side of the longboat was tied, oddly enough to the port, and the steering board, was on the Starboard side.

But it is easier to remember that Port and Left both have four letters.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

HAWK21M

Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:10 pm

Quoting Buzz (Reply 27):
Hi TupolevTU154, Buzz here. I explain it to people who haven't been around boats very often this way:
I hold a bottle of Port (wine) in my Left hand. Port is a red wine.

Very Good way to Remember.
 bigthumbsup 
regds
MEL

SkydrolBoy

Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:24 pm

I use "Stop, No red port left" to help me remember....

Woodreau

Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:10 pm

I just use a dry erase marker and write an "L" and "P" on the left side of the windshield and "R" and "S" on the right side ...

It doesn't really matter any way - the red buoys are on the right and the green buoys are on the left going back into port in the United States and Japan, everywhere else in the world the buoys are switched red on the left and green on the right.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

David L

Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:03 pm

Quoting Woodreau (Reply 31):
everywhere else in the world the buoys are switched red on the left and green on the right.

I thought the location of the port and starboard buoys was determined by the direction of the tidal flow.

Woodreau

Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:22 am

Quoting David L (Reply 32):
I thought the location of the port and starboard buoys was determined by the direction of the tidal flow.

Nope, it is based on which whichever IALA buoyage system is adopted by the country. Europe, Australia, Middle East is IALA A, US and Japan is IALA B. So the lateral marker buoys are green on the right and red on the left in Europe. Only the US is the oddball with red on the right and green on the left.

http://site.ialathree.org/
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

10mid

Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:13 am

Here's an easy way to remember:

Port is Left
Starboard is Right

Commit that to memory. It's just 2 items. What is so hard about that?

CX Flyboy

Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:31 am

Wow, some interesting suggestions.

Personally, I remember that Port, Left and Red and are short words, and Right, Starboard and Green are all longer words.

David L

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:25 am

Quoting Woodreau (Reply 33):
So the lateral marker buoys are green on the right and red on the left in Europe. Only the US is the oddball with red on the right and green on the left.

I felt obliged to check and, of course, you're right. I was obviously confusing channel markers, "open" at both ends so an arbitraty direction has to be assumed, and markers at the approaches to harbours and rivers, where "in" and "out" are more obviously defined. I'd better just hope I can see both port and starboard markers whenever I'm near a harbour!

mandala499

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:36 am

You dock to port... Unless you're at one of those places where the right hand side doors open for pax instead... :P

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

bragi

Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:19 pm

One of my ground school instructors had his own method of teaching prospective pilots to remember this: "The First Officer has stars in his eyes!" Cool
Muhammad Ali: "Superman don’t need no seat belt." Flight Attendant: "Superman don’t need no airplane, either."

ZKSUJ

Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:29 pm

Green is right and port wine is red.

Glom

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:40 pm

I was taught, "The red ship left the port." It worked for me.

bond007

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:32 am

First of all, I have my commercial pilot license and never had to use the terms 'port' or 'starboard' !

But....since I also like boating.....port and left both have same number of letters ... and port wine is red. BUT.....I have a boat and still have never used the terms in over 8 years!

...as for the marine lights.....yes, in the US....red, right, returning  Smile

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

bsergonomics

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:13 am

This isn't entirely relevant, but the word 'Posh' is supposed to come from the sides of the ship. When sailing from Great Britain to India, the preferable side for one's cabin was on the generally north-facing side of the ship, on the grounds that it didn't get so hot. This means that, on the way to India, the left (port) side was preferable, while on the way back, it was on the right (starboard) side. Obviously, since these cabins were preferable, they also cost more. Therefore, on the tickets for the cruise, there was written the abbreviation, "POSH" - Port Out, Starboard Home. This abbreviation eventually came into common parlance to mean the richer, more refined people.

====

Slightly more relevant to this thread:

Although it sounds slightly stupid, I was told this at the age of 10 and have never forgotten it:

"When you've drunk all you PORT, there's none LEFT..."
The definition of a 'Pessimist': an Optimist with experience...

HAWK21M

Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:24 pm

Amazing.This thread has already logged in 42 replies.Never thought it would ever.
The question remains.Who/why chose/choose the colours.
regds
MEL

JeffM

Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:39 am

A sailor loves to see a RED LIGHT in port.  Wink
...and will always give a GREEN LIGHT to let a STARonBOARD....

RC135U

Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:12 am

Quoting Bhill (Reply 21):

[quote=Bhill,reply=21]The Vikings called the side of their ship its board, and they placed the steering oar, the "star" on the right side of the ship, thus that side became known as the "star board[/qu

Right you are - the steering oar was attached to the starboard quarter, its
vertical shaft turned by the helmsman using a horizontal tiller. The rudder
was always mounted on the right side of the hull and was called a "stjornbordi"
from which we derive the word "starboard".

HAWK21M

Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:55 pm

Quoting RC135U (Reply 45):
The rudder
was always mounted on the right side of the hull and was called a "stjornbordi"
from which we derive the word "starboard".

Interesting.Whats the history about the word "PORT".
regds
MEL

RC135U

Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:30 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 46):
Interesting.Whats the history about the word "PORT".
regds
MEL

That's a bit more obscure. The opposite of starboard is larboard which derives
from "ladde" and "bord", ladde being the past participle of the verb to lead.
The left side of the ship would be led by the right, where the rudder was. A
different theory says that ladde derives from "laden" meaning "to load" - the
left-hand side being the side put to the dock for loading.

The problem with "starboard" and "larboard" is that they are easily confused,
and it would not be good sailing practice for a shouted command to be mis-
interpreted, so a different word was required. The term "port" for the left-hand side of a ship dates to the 16th century but it was not until the 1840's
that both the Royal and US Navies abandoned larboard in favor of port.