slashd0t

Frost Build Up Inside An Airplane..

Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:46 pm

In October I flew a WestJet 737NG from YEG-CUN and I noticed as I got close to the Gulf of Mexico that my leg was FREEZING. I looked down and noticed that there was a considerable build up of frost all down the side of the plane below the window to the floor. I wasn't really concerned, but, it was terrible annoying as we decended and it melted all over my pants  Silly Anyone here know why this happened? I fly bi-weekly and have never experienced this on a flight before. Could it have something to due to our cruising @ FL430?
/.

pilotpip

RE: Frost Build Up Inside An Airplane..

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:49 pm

The air on the ground this time of year is hot and humid, the air up high is very cold and dry. It was likely moisture that was in the air which cooled, condensed, and froze on the wall. It's very common here at STL to see aircraft fog windows fog up within seconds of opening the door here and water dripping off the bottom of the wing because of the extremes in temperature between the surface and altitude.
DMI

HAWK21M

Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:36 pm

I feel the Insulation Blankets in the Area between the Inner Skin & Sidewall panel has drifted out of place/Not installed.
Was it only at your location or all along the Side for the Other Pax too.,
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

slashd0t

Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:29 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 2):
I feel the Insulation Blankets in the Area between the Inner Skin & Sidewall panel has drifted out of place/Not installed.
Was it only at your location or all along the Side for the Other Pax too.,

I looked around and only saw it on my side.
/.

futureuapilot

Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:39 am

Sounds like some horror movie too me!

"Frost overtakes the aircraft as the cabin lights go dead. Who know's what is lurking through the aircraft..."

I think we have a new movie idea!

-Sam
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

HAWK21M

Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:39 am

Quoting Slashd0t (Reply 3):
I looked around and only saw it on my side.

Def According to me looks like your Insulation blankets have drifted out of place during Mx work.
regds
MEL

LH648

Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:28 pm

I expereinced it sometimes in Tu154 sitting next to emergency exit. With one difference - the frost build up up from the exit and it was raining during descent  Smile

Once I've asked flight atendant for umbrella, but she said that they don't have them  Smile

Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:01 am

At cruase altitude is could outside and warm inside so it is natural for frost to build up on the inside of the fuselage skin. If an installation blanket was missing frost could build up on the sidewall or its possible that an air conditioning duct runs up the sidewall at that location and it was the source of the could air. The fuselage has drain holes in in the bulge area that lets the frost (water) drain out after it melts on the ground or at lower altitudes.

HAWK21M

Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:25 pm

Quoting LH648 (Reply 6):
expereinced it sometimes in Tu154 sitting next to emergency exit. With one difference - the frost build up up from the exit and it was raining during descent

Thats an old thread being brought back  Smile
Insulation blankets drifted out of position during Mx work can cause this senario.Does the EE on a Tu154 not have Area heaters.
regds
MEL